Grabbing With TK opinions wanted

Ndreare

As a GM I have rules that Grab is just a maneuver so grabbing with TK suffers the same modifiers as anyone else using the maneuver. Basically you are concentrating or whatever else happens but in the end you suffer the same penalty.

However with a player feeling cheated, I figured it was worth getting some more opinions, on if there is a good argument against it.

PS: The idea of buying Penalty Skill levels or DCV only to ignore grab penalty is "Just Wrong" to the player.

Re: Grabbing With TK opinions wanted

According to the rules as written, the GM is correct. Maneuver CV penalties apply when using TK.

I don't have a strong opinion about whether it should be handled differently in some particular campaign. It might seem more "logical" for the attacker with TK to suffer less DCV penalty (or none at all) than an attacker using STR would. But I would probably stick with having the penalties apply, for the same reason that Desolid characters can't affect solid with Mental Powers or Sense-Affecting Powers, even though solid characters can affect Desolid characters with them: simple game balance.

What Derek said. Conceptually there should be little if any DCV penalty, but for balance sake you can't ignore it.

If you want a TK hold that doesn't hurt your DCV, the straight-forward way is to buy extra levels in DCV, only useable with TK Grab.

For something fancier, buy an Entangle, Transparent to Damage(+1), linked to Flight, Useable Against Others, where the shut-off condition of the Flight is breaking out of the Entangle.

Something else to consider....

Martial Arts (only) usable with Telekinesis.

see example in this link: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/72770-350-point-jedi?p=1835525#post1835525

We used a magic system once that was all based off of common Psi abilities. And for all the powers, you bought martial arts to show mastery with your Electro, Pyro or Tele-kinesis as well as Telepathy.

yes, the character should be affected by all the relevant penalties involved. However I would rule that if the player doesn't want his character to be affected by the penalties (holding on to the target is effortless) the character can use their TK's casual STR to hold the target, at which point they can act freely with no penalty to other actions.

Explain it to the player this way. Someone with Stretching who wishes to grab someone must pay the penalties. It makes sense that the person with TK would face the same penalties as the person with stretching. Also, they Don't have to just grab with TK they can also use it to punch.

I just realized I was having a brain freeze in this thread. I should have noted that the standard maneuver penalties (-1 OCV, -2 DCV) apply when making the Attack Roll with a Grab via TK, but a Grab with TK does not reduce the attacker's DCV after a successful Grab. See CC page 89 or 6E1 page 295. :hex:

I just realized I was having a brain freeze in this thread. I should have noted that the standard maneuver penalties (-1 OCV' date=' -2 DCV) apply when making the Attack Roll with a Grab via TK, but a Grab with TK does [b']not[/b] reduce the attacker's DCV after a successful Grab. See CC page 89 or 6E1 page 295. :hex:

You know I never realized. Well, I guess that would pretty much make the case for the player.

I just realized I was having a brain freeze in this thread. I should have noted that the standard maneuver penalties (-1 OCV' date=' -2 DCV) apply when making the Attack Roll with a Grab via TK, but a Grab with TK does [b']not[/b] reduce the attacker's DCV after a successful Grab. See CC page 89 or 6E1 page 295. :hex:

I knew that was the case in the 5th edition, but wasn't sure if that was changed in the 6th.