What Champions books are 6th ed?

phydaux

I'm rebuilding my Champoins collection after several years out of gaming. I understand that the current Hero Games rules set is 6th ed. What Champions books are 6th? FWIW, I'll be buying Hero Designer, and for each book I'll be buying the hard copy, the PDFs, and the Hero Designer files for all of them.

(BTW, please don't try to sell me the "They're all 6th ed compatable" line. I want to know what books were written as 6th ed books.)

Champions Complete seems to be the main Champions genera book plus the 6th ed Hero System core rules, and is available in hard copy and PDF. Is there a Hero Designer file for this book?

Champions Universe is the setting book. Hard copy is unavailable, but the PDF is, and there is an HD file. Are the characters in the HD file 6th ed or 5th ed?

I see three villian books, Masterminds, Teams and Solo, with PDFs & HD files. I assume these are all 6th ed? Are all the old school villians like Destroyer, Mechanon, Ogre, Foxbat, Plusar, etc. in these books, or are they all new?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions,

phy

Re: What Champions books are 6th ed?

The currently-available-in-hardcopy 6E rulebook and Champions genre book is Champions Complete.

Champions Universe is the CU setting book, and the characters in it are 6E. The Champions Villains books (Masterminds, Teams, and Solo) are all 6E. The characters are a mixture of "old school" villains and newer villains.

Other 6E Champions books include Champions Powers (a pre-made Powers book), Champions Beyond (a CU expansion covering aliens in CU), and The Book of the Empress (a book going into detail on the CU master villainess Istvatha V'Han and her worlds/operations).

Also useful are Hero System Advanced Players Guide and Hero system Advanced Player's Guide II - Nice Optional rules that can add a lot to your game. Check em out before you start making House Rules.

Hero System Martial Arts - JIC you are sick of everyone taking the same Martial Arts styles that are in the Main Book (s)

Hero System Equipment Guide - Equipment is what makes Agents fun to knockout.

Hero System Bestiary - Does your Mastermind have Sharks with Lasers on their Head? The Shark is written up here.

The Ultimate Base - Everybody wants a base of opperations. find out more about them in this book

The Ultimate Skill - Everything you wanted to know about skills and a ton of optional rules regarding skill use. (The PDF is 6e clean, the Paper Book is 5e, but 99% ready for 6e use)

Also Champions Villains Vol 1 - 3 are all 6e books.

Ultimate Base was updated to 6e? nice to know (that bumps it up on my list of items to purchase).

Are Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook, Hero System Grimoire,Hero System Skills also 6e? (I assume so since they follow the naming convention of "HERO System X" instead of the 5th edition "Ultimate X")

there is also the Champions 6th Edition book (genre book if I remember correctly) its only available in pdf right now but has more on the superhero genre than whats included in Champions Complete (although CC was built to replace it and the 6e1/6e2 books).

There are also a number of mini-supplements like Steve's Books of the undead

On a related note:

The "Champions Intro Pack" which includes Champions, CU, CU:NOTW I am fairly certain (based on the price) are 5th edition correct? if so how different are the 6th Ed Champions and CU from the 5th editions. I am mostly looking for "World Building" type stuff like current events in CU. I will probably wind up getting both versions eventually (assuming I ever get through my long wish list) but was wondering exactly how much changed in the "update".

The currently-available-in-hardcopy 6E rulebook and Champions genre book is Champions Complete.

Champions Universe is the CU setting book, and the characters in it are 6E. The Champions Villains books (Masterminds, Teams, and Solo) are all 6E. The characters are a mixture of "old school" villains and newer villains.

Other 6E Champions books include Champions Powers (a pre-made Powers book), Champions Beyond (a CU expansion covering aliens in CU), and The Book of the Empress (a book going into detail on the CU master villainess Istvatha V'Han and her worlds/operations).

Champions Universe doesn't seem to be available in hard copy. Is this correct? if so, will this be changing? What is the ETA?

Ultimate Base was updated to 6e? nice to know (that bumps it up on my list of items to purchase).

Are Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook, Hero System Grimoire,Hero System Skills also 6e? (I assume so since they follow the naming convention of "HERO System X" instead of the 5th edition "Ultimate X")

there is also the Champions 6th Edition book (genre book if I remember correctly) its only available in pdf right now but has more on the superhero genre than whats included in Champions Complete (although CC was built to replace it and the 6e1/6e2 books).

There are also a number of mini-supplements like Steve's Books of the undead

On a related note:

The "Champions Intro Pack" which includes Champions, CU, CU:NOTW I am fairly certain (based on the price) are 5th edition correct? if so how different are the 6th Ed Champions and CU from the 5th editions. I am mostly looking for "World Building" type stuff like current events in CU. I will probably wind up getting both versions eventually (assuming I ever get through my long wish list) but was wondering exactly how much changed in the "update".

I good rule of thumb is if the Rule book has a Blue Spine with Yellow lettering it's a 6e Rules book. If you look at my previous post I listed all of the rule books that were 6e compatable.

The Ultimate Base was written just before 6e shipped, like The Ultimate Skill, there were few to 0 changes in the book for 6e. (TUS Hard Copy the only difference is that the Skill Seduction is called Charm in 6e. Other than that the rules are exactly the same. The PDF reflects the change, but the hard copy has the old 5e name).

I wouldn't be too afraid to use The Book of The Machine and The Book of the Destroyer. The writeups won't be that different (just a couple of name changes) and all of the fluff will be totally the same. Perhaps someone will do 6e Character sheets for those books and Jason will make them available on The Hero Store or something like that.

I'm less concerned with conversions (those are easy enough for me to handle, very little changed between 5th and 6th in that respect) than with "state of the CU" so to speak. In general I would prefer to buy the newest stuff first (and don't want to buy a 5th edition book if a 6th edition is coming out soon that might have new/updated rules ITSELF instead of just conversions of existing rules). Then I can fill in the older stuff to get more of the history as time goes on ;)

If you're looking for adventures as well, I've also written War of Worldcraft, Unkindness, Pretty Hate Machines, and King of the Mountain under the Blackwyrm label. All of them feature 6th edition rules. If you really want to help promote the Hero System, you can give us a hand by helping us kickstart my latest effort, Imaginary Friends.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackwyrm/imaginary-friends?ref=live