Some random Fantasy Hero love...

Gary Ciaramella

I have been recently been running a Pathfinder campaign, via an adventure path... all has been going well, I've enjoyed myself a lot in fact...

Until today.

Until I had the bright idea of running a side adventure... in which I wanted to create some unique magic... and found out that it was next to impossible to do so within the rules.

This is where the love of Fantasy Hero comes in. When you GM Fantasy Hero, or play it for that matter, there is no such thing as... You cannot do that. You can make any magic you wish. There is no rule that says that spell scrolls are limited to 4th level spells... there is no limit that says that you cannot cast a mass dominate person spell... or put that spell on a scroll... or a wand...

Fantasy Hero, and the Hero System in general, allows you to do what you want, the way you want.

And that is why Hero will always be the game for me.

I :love: Hero!

I frankly find it difficult to run games other than hero with very few exceptions. i feel extremely limited with other game systems because of the amount of freedom hero gives us.

Of course, if i cant convince anyone to play hero i'll run something else (maybe) in which case if i'm the gm, all those cases of "you can't do X" promptly get ignored.

But i'd much rather play hero where i dont have to argue with the players over whether or not i can do something within the system.

Yeah, I pretty much house-rule any other system to make it "a bit more like HERO."  

All my D20 3.5 games had classes PrC's and spells and feats I had made, changes to spell DC's (Caster Level + Applicable Ability Mod + Level of Spell; minimum 10)

But then I kind of House Rule HERO as well (Armor in a Gadget Pool VPP?  Why not?)

Our 3.5 DM bends rules left, right and center to make the game more fun.  He's done this to the point where we currently have a player with a race that is in no way RAW legal.

And even then, I still prefer HERO, and I wish I could convince everyone to switch.

Our 3.5 DM bends rules left, right and center to make the game more fun.  He's done this to the point where we currently have a player with a race that is in no way RAW legal.

And even then, I still prefer HERO, and I wish I could convince everyone to switch.

"A woman came up to me and said

I'd like to change your mind.

'By hitting it with a rock,' she said,

'Though I am not unkind.'"

Just think, if your 3.5 campaign switched to Hero, no rule bending would be necessary.  ;)

Yeah... I'd mentioned on another forum that Gary and I were in a Pathfinder group that neither one of us could stand, not only because of all the house rules, but because the GM was deliberately slowing XP advancement to a crawl because apparently he wanted the game to be gritty.  Which you just can't do if you're playing D&D/Pathfinder past a certain level because people have lots of hit points and healing.  And I thought, "Why doesn't he just play HERO or GURPS or some other game where character advancement does not automatically translate into taking more damage?"

Basically some people are so attached to the D&D paradigm that they want to fit the peg into holes where it won't go.  (Which explains, among other things, D20 Modern.)

Of course it's also been pointed out to me that converting a Pathfinder game to HERO basically means *creating* Pathfinder HERO almost out of whole cloth.  But I think most of it other than the magic shouldn't be too hard.

JG

Yeah... I'd mentioned on another forum that Gary and I were in a Pathfinder group that neither one of us could stand, not only because of all the house rules, but because the GM was deliberately slowing XP advancement to a crawl because apparently he wanted the game to be gritty.  Which you just can't do if you're playing D&D/Pathfinder past a certain level because people have lots of hit points and healing.  And I thought, "Why doesn't he just play HERO or GURPS or some other game where character advancement does not automatically translate into taking more damage?"

Basically some people are so attached to the D&D paradigm that they want to fit the peg into holes where it won't go.  (Which explains, among other things, D20 Modern.)

Of course it's also been pointed out to me that converting a Pathfinder game to HERO basically means *creating* Pathfinder HERO almost out of whole cloth.  But I think most of it other than the magic shouldn't be too hard.

JG

Oh...don't get me started on D&D house rules!!  Our GM uses a d% table for criticle hits/fumbles that have maimed/killed more PCs than it has monsters....

As for converting D&D/Pathfinder to HERO....I did most of the core 3.5 feats with little difficulty.  I kind of gave up on an accurate spell system and said why not do systems?  That way you could tell a sorcerer from a wizard (there's a bit more distiction between the 2 in Pathfinder, but IMHO the 3.5 sorcerer is just a weakened wizard).

I also enjoy converting monsters to HERO, not always a straight conversion, though...more of a "this looks right" conversion.

JG

To be fair to all the rules systems of the world, I would not really enjoy playing under that GM no matter the rules system... it was by no means Pathfinder's fault, as you have seen, I've been running the system. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pathfinder allows you to find the path that they have made for you... Hero System allows you to craft your own path.

True.  However, I find myself playing Pathfinder right now.  Been GM'ing for our group for 3+ years straight.  Got a little burned out and one of the players offered to GM.  He chose Pathfinder.  It is easier for him and he is running us through one of the adventure paths.  I am enjoying being on the player side of the game, I just wish it was Fantasy Hero.  Who knows, I should hopefully have time to start coming up with my own stuff.  I will probably end up converting some Pathfinder stuff.  Like our current GM, family and work keep me busy.

See... He works 50+ hours a week and has 3 kids (2 of them in boy scouts) and does not have time to design everything.  The big kicker is that  he does not feel he has the experience to convert the adventure path to Fantasy Hero.  

Another player in our group may also GM...  again, it will be Pathfinder.  He has been buying up all of the Midgard setting from Kobold Press.  A campaign setting with a lot of adventures.

I know that there is an old argument about not having adventures because they do not sell.  I just really wish that it could work.  I love Fantasy Hero, but with little support compared to other systems.... Look like we will only play it if I GM it.

Norm.

I know that there is an old argument about not having adventures because they do not sell.  I just really wish that it could work.  I love Fantasy Hero, but with little support compared to other systems.... Look like we will only play it if I GM it.

Norm.

Agreed, the lack of premade adventures does hold the game back, while the freedom to make anything you wish is powerful stuff, there are times where one is too busy or lazy to do so, and having something at the ready would really be worthwhile.