House Rule discusio: resources

JmOz

perceived Problem:

The cost of Vehicles, followers, and bases are to high to make a decent street hero.

Perceived Reasons:

Street Heroes are the ones most likely to want these perks

Street Heroes tend to be from lower power games

Having to pay for all three without cost breaks brings the expense beyond a reasonable level

Furthermore, a clever player could manipulate the x2/+5 rule to get the bonuses of some of all three by minor changes to concept (IE instead of a base he has a large vehicle that he uses as a base while a smaller vehicle to use as a real vehicle, such as a mole with 1" movement/speed 1, or a starship with 1m of flight, etc....)

possible solutions are welcome

First possibility (and the one I am toying with allowing) is to rename all three as Resources and permit the +5 rule to not be limited by type

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I always thought that the doubling rule just meant you'd get two of the same kind of vehicle... Have I been wrong about that all this time?  >.>

And while I haven't played this specific setting, perhaps if your street heroes know a tech type, or if they ARE a tech type, they can build their own vehicles and equipment for half price in a D&D crafting fashion?

Just my two CP.

Jmoz went I was messing around and writing up characters from the public domain of super heroes, I used the generalrule of thumb from fantasy hero.  Thats is, if the equipment is 'normal',i.e. using the stats from the book write-ups, then that was covered under resource points/perks.  If the said equipment was better than normal equipment, then the character paid from his character points.  And I think I played with the idea that the character only had to pay for the upgrade only.  The base item cost was still for free. 

perceived Problem:

The cost of Vehicles, followers, and bases are to high to make a decent street hero.

Perceived Reasons:

Street Heroes are the ones most likely to want these perks

Street Heroes tend to be from lower power games

Having to pay for all three without cost breaks brings the expense beyond a reasonable level

Furthermore, a clever player could manipulate the x2/+5 rule to get the bonuses of some of all three by minor changes to concept (IE instead of a base he has a large vehicle that he uses as a base while a smaller vehicle to use as a real vehicle, such as a mole with 1" movement/speed 1, or a starship with 1m of flight, etc....)

possible solutions are welcome

First possibility (and the one I am toying with allowing) is to rename all three as Resources and permit the +5 rule to not be limited by type

The two point doubling rule requries you to pay the price for the most expensive thing first. Also, stacking of Followers, Vehicles, Bases and the like is afaik marked as a GM-Option, because of the incredible danger for game Balance.

Also having a vehcile has it's disadvantages: Somebody can steal it. It's more often in the open where people can manipulate it. If somebody found the batcave, it was most often via the Batmobile (got in via Batmobile was the easiest way to battle Batman at home without revealing his Identity to the Villain.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I always thought that the doubling rule just meant you'd get two of the same kind of vehicle... Have I been wrong about that all this time?  >.>

You were indeed wrong. Follower, Summon, Multiform, Duplicates, Bases are most of the few Powers/Perqs that follow the "5 point doubling Rule" (it's not really called that anywhere in the book). You can also apply it to any Focus you bought with Characer points (this options is heavily used in example Bases and Vehciles).

The wording is: +5 points for each doubling of the Amount. 5 Points to get a Second. Another five points to get 3+4. Another five to get 5,6,7,8. etc.

Resource Polls are also in APG 1.

They are called "Resource Points" (to avoid being connected to all those House Rules, I guess). They do not limit how much you can possess, only how much can "carry along" during an Adventure.

There are Pools for Equipment, Followers/Contacts, Vehicles and Miscelanous.

You get a certain amount of each "pool" for free, but more can be bought using Character Points. Also Points can be given out by the GM as a more granular form of Experience point.