Fantasy Hero Complete Cover Art

Jason S.Walters

Is there some trend I'm missing? If I look at e.g. the current D&D PHB or the Patfhinder core book, I'll see rather serious battle scenes. Same goes for other popular games like Shadowrun (or the current FH version). Most video game art goes in the same direction. This isn't weird enough for the Otus-OSR crowd or cartoony for the Munchkin-fans, either. IS FH selling a lot in Colorado? ;)

Okay, there's one similar recent pic that comes to mind, that being the revised cover of the next edition of Germany's incumbent top selling game. They went from this first attempt to this. Which kinda-sorta is a "looting party picture", too. Although quite a bit less surreal.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there some trend I'm missing? If I look at e.g. the current D&D PHB or the Patfhinder core book, I'll see rather serious battle scenes. Same goes for other popular games like Shadowrun (or the current FH version). Most video game art goes in the same direction. This isn't weird enough for the Otus-OSR crowd or cartoony for the Munchkin-fans, either. IS FH selling a lot in Colorado? ;)

Okay, there's one similar recent pic that comes to mind, that being the revised cover of the next edition of Germany's incumbent top selling game. They went from this first attempt to this. Which kinda-sorta is a "looting party picture", too. Although quite a bit less surreal.

Yeah...the first attempt is pretty plain with no real "action".  While the second doesn't depict a great deal of action, the characters in the forefront at least appear realistically serious and engaged.

Do any of you have women in your gaming groups?  I can tell you that the women in my gaming group like the cover.  50% of the people in world are women.  How many are playing RPGs?  How many would play if the people creating the games, art and miniatures would take into account their tastes and sensibilities?  I can tell you that the women gamers in my group want to have fun... Killing things isn't that much fun for them.  They like a good combat.  But they love a good swindle, joke, and chance to outsmart their opposition.

Yes, but the woman we pay with likes "classy sexy" images for females so this is not her style.

My wife thinks it is cartoony but that is only two answers from women I know.

Personally if I saw that cover, I would not be inclined to look at it or buy it. I prefer serious art. And I love hero, so much so that I ordered book 1. I will buy every Hero Games product because I love Fantasy Hero so much.So I guess they do not have to impress me.

Yes, but the woman we pay with likes "classy sexy" images for females so this is not her style.

My wife thinks it is cartoony but that is only two answers from women I know.

Personally if I saw that cover, I would not be inclined to look at it or buy it. I prefer serious art. And I love hero, so much so that I ordered book 1. I will buy every Hero Games product because I love Fantasy Hero so much.So I guess they do not have to impress me.

Do any of you have women in your gaming groups?  I can tell you that the women in my gaming group like the cover.  50% of the people in world are women.  How many are playing RPGs?  How many would play if the people creating the games, art and miniatures would take into account their tastes and sensibilities?  I can tell you that the women gamers in my group want to have fun... Killing things isn't that much fun for them.  They like a good combat.  But they love a good swindle, joke, and chance to outsmart their opposition.

We have 5 women in our group (not all of them play in all games, though). And of those 5 ,,, 4 prefer playing hard-hitting warriors and like plenty of combat. In my experience, women gamers are as diverse as men, and the only thing I think that's gender-specific is a dislike of the chainmail bikini.

cheers, Mark

Female gamers tend to like the idea of the "strong female" character, particularly in fantasy.  They don't want the girl to be a princess cowering from the dragon as the knight saves her.  They want her to be right in there doing the saving, so this image should appeal to them at that level.