Fantasy Hero Complete Cover Art

Jason S.Walters

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently my first post on the cover art didn't meet with approval by the moderator. Didn't say anything that others haven't already voiced. This looks too comic/whimsical for cover art of a core RPG book. This isn't 1972. If Herogames wants this to sell I'd seriously reconsider the art work. The only reason I have been an avid near fanatical player of Hero for 20 years is I picked up by pure dumb luck the copy of Fantasy Hero with the Larry Elmor cover. Yes that's a dig on my 19 year old self for judging by the cover and all, but the simple fact is I wouldn't buy this book with that cover. Honestly I'd rather have a white book with big black block letter titles (blue and yellow whould be fine too). At least that way when I'm sitting at my table in the game shop recruiting players they wont look at me like I've lost my mind before going on to D&D 5 or one of the 10 thousand card games.

Hope that one goes through.

I agree with some of what you are saying. Art sells the game.

When people are shopping they do not have time to read a game book in the store. They look for something awesome that catches the eye and flip a few pages.

If the art is appealing and the layout looks good they buy the book and try it. If the layout sucks or the art is uninspired they put it back on the shelf.

Our group also picked up hero because of the great Elmore cover, they brought the book to me to GM and Idecided it looked good enough to try. At the same time games like Fudge and Toon had no appeal to me because the presentation just was not there for me to want to GM. I know now that Fate is fudge derived and some of the fate books look cool so I read them but I still have never read Fudge.

I think that would have slowed down production. After all it took a while just to get this piece imagine if an artist had to draw for or five. And ergo would absorb the additional cost incurred?

I know from writing my own game art is expensive.

Actually professional artists often provide (or more accurately, are often required to provide) several drafts for different approaches. Not fully finished versions, but complete enough that the art director can see what they are getting.

As far as the cover itself goes, I did not want to just post a negative comment, but my feelings match most of the comments here. Technically, it's fine, but the fact that everyone - dragon included - seem to be sharing a joke, struck me as pretty odd, when I first saw the cover.

Cheers, Mark

What I care most about is, will it help or hinder sales?

And I consider myself quite incompetent to answer that one, and have to trust that the people making the decision know what they're doing.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says the odds are good and even better

Well, I'm not really sure if humor is what separates FH from other games. For something generic, I'm not sure whether giggle fit Michelle Fairley is the right approach.

Then again, I'm German, what do I know about laughter?

German? But your picture makes you look Spanish...

I feel bad for Jason and Sam. I'm sure they were hoping for a more enthusiastic reception to the cover than this. It really is unique and striking, I just wish I liked it better as a cover for FHC. :(

But of course, a few people on a fan forum isn't any sort of representative sampling. Hopefully it will go over a lot more positively among the general game-buying public. :)