Tactics vs Analyze Combat

Uthanar

Analyze Combat Technique (fighting skills and tactics) would typically only provide information about what a target is good at.

On the other hand "Tactics is most useful when a character should be able to figure out how to deal with a combat situation, but the player cannot."

Tactics is more like a combat version of Deduction where Analyze Combat is still leaving major decisions to the player.

Analyze is a skill that only gives you information about another character and what is on their character sheet. With a good roll, you can also get DCV and CSL bonuses during a fight against that particular character.

Tactics is a more amorphous skill that is used to help figure out what to do on a more general level. It is basically, "I'm not Capt. America, but my character is. GM, tell me what the best thing to do is in this situation for me and my team." It helps in deciding where to position teammates, what powers to use and when, how to best coordinate attacks, etc.

Analyze can only be used after seeing an enemy combatant in action, even at a tactical level. It's a reactive Skill.

Tactics does not require that, you are knowledgeable enough, and schooled enough, to know how to use your troops, or skills, the terrain in play, and general (or no) information about the enemy; Tactics allows one to utilize their resources to the best effectiveness pro-actively.

I would even say that Analyze can provide a Tactics Bonus if more than one engagement against the same enemy occurs.

Tactics - deploy resources

Analyze - watch the conflct

Tactics w/ Bonus if Analyze is successful - deploy resources again, possibly more effectively this time.

Seems like a bit of this is the same difference between a KS and a PS.  

Thanks for the insight.

Almost exactly, except that knowledge is drawing information or understanding from your memory, and analyze is drawing it from an evolving situation. Otherwise, yes, one is an information gathering skill and the other is a "doing" skill.

Not much to add, so maybe an example or two...

Analyze: "He almost always leads with his left, then a left right combo...so +2 DCV" Tactics: "He seems to be trying to get you on this side of the room" or "This would be a perfect place for an ambush, roll perception please"