What's "over-the-line" for these boards?

Kristopher

Originally posted by assault

Of course, I read "community" as "continuity".

So, presumably, if you were to declare that the trolls never existed, it would be a retcon, wouldn't it?

Did I ever tell you how much I hate Connor Hawke, the new Batgirl, and Kyle Rayner, and how anyone who likes them are morons...

:)

Alan

Funny,

I consider two of them alot more interesting characters than the second individuals to have those heroic ID's

Re: What's "over-the-line" for these boards?

Originally posted by Kristopher

In other words, how "kid safe" are they supposed to be? What's acceptable, and what's clearly not?

Just to be clear, I don't ask because I want to swear up a blue streak, or start posting superhero dirty stories, or anything of the sort.

It's just that a couple of the NPCs I'm thinking of posting have rather unsavory personalities, and I want to strike a balance between saying what I mean to say, and saying too much.

I worry about something I posted regarding Crimson, and I don't want to become known as someone posting for shock value or without decency.

I try for PG-13 myself.

Only thing I recall anyone objecting to recently was the word "dildo" in a thread title. Some said it made the board not "work friendly" until that thread fell off.

Re: Re: What's "over-the-line" for these boards?

Originally posted by McCoy

I try for PG-13 myself.

Only thing I recall anyone objecting to recently was the word "dildo" in a thread title. Some said it made the board not "work friendly" until that thread fell off.

That's not a bad rule of thumb, actually:

If you'd be embarrassed if your significant other, co-workers or children saw it: should you be writing it?

Re: Re: Re: What's "over-the-line" for these boards?

Originally posted by D-Man

That's not a bad rule of thumb, actually:

If you'd be embarrassed if your significant other, co-workers or children saw it: should you be writing it?

Currently without co-workers, my children are both over 30, and never been embarrassed by anyone reading anything I wrote. If I used that as the guideline, it would be more NC-17 than PG-13.

Basically my rule is I don't want a parent of an adolescent telling their child they can't surf this site because of something I said.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always assumed that there were likely to be people in their early teens (or even younger) reading these boards. This is why I have been known to describe "St Barbara's" former profession as "model" with inverted commas. Many people will get what I am saying, and for those who don't the comment still makes sense. I agree that "PG-13" is a reasonable rating for these boards, although the odd euphamism that may be missed by a young kid doesn't hurt.