For Supers games, what setting do you use?

Altair

My current Champions game is just like all my previous Champions games - kind of a mash up of current events + Champions Universe (mostly the villains) + a dash of Marvel Universe thrown.  What I mean 'just like all my previous Champions games' is that I always set the place where the heroes are at to be the city we are all actually living in.  It makes it easier to say "You are fighting near downtown Minneapolis where the new Vikings Stadium is at."  Since we are all living in the Twin Cities we all know where that is at and what it looks like.

I can also use current/recent events to create a scenario.  For instance the Governor's Fishing Opener is a huge deal up here and so I created an adventure - part of a series - that involved the fishing opener.

I should also note that my Champions campaigns are more like episodic TV - weak coupling between episodes.  As opposed to my Fantasy games which are definitely a series and you best not miss more than a couple in a row or you will be 100% lost.

• 4 months later...

LOL,

Yep.  I use Hudson City as the location for all my games that are 'modern', Hero or other.

As for universe it is always my own with me shamelessly borrowing anything that fits....

I'm with Spence, I'm using Hudson city renamed New Brisbane, set in a Wold Newton Universe so, I've Dark Champions, DC:TAS, Champions, DC and Marvel and will shamelessly borrow anything.

I use only my own settings. My previous Champs setting for my Seattle Sentinels and Keystone Konjurors campaigns had many mystical elements in common with the CU because I ported them into Ultimate Supermage, Ultimate Mystic, Mystic World and /arcane Adversaries. Ah, the megalomaniac joys of a writer's life!

My current-but-on-hiatus campaign uses an all-new setting I've dubbed the Millennium Universe because supers first appeared in 2000. While I'm sorry to lose a Mystic World developed through 20+ years of play, other parts of the Sentinel U showed their age and I thought it was best to make a clean break. It's the implied background for my Hero Plus .pdfs, though I'm trying to make them easy to port into any other setting.

Dean Shomshak

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Do you play in the Supers genre? If so, what setting do you use? Champions? Marvel/DC? Something still licensed, but less mainstream like Robert Kirkman's Invincible, or Brian Michael Bendis' Powers? Perhaps a custom setting of your own design? Or maybe a mishmash of the above, multiverse style?

I'm sort of under the assumption that people play a lot of Champions, and I'm curious what the setting has going for it. In general, there are pros & cons to all the above approaches; I'm curious what people have found enjoyment in. 

Thanks!

I tend to use a version of the Champions Universe. It's a nice Marvel Universe Homage, so it's pretty accessible by players. I tend to stay away from cloning published characters to prevent fights with Genre Experts who may be playing the game. Also the Champions U has it's own interesting history, and has a TON of regenerated Heroes and Villains. All of those make my life as GM much easier.

I have nearly everything published for Champions, from every edition, by Hero Games and by other publishers. I haven't yet used all the villains, organizations, and NPC heroes, even among the ones I want to use. I could run games for years more without ever having to create another original NPC. (Not that I won't want to; just that I know I can always find someone for whatever niche I need.)

My previous Champs setting for my Seattle Sentinels and Keystone Konjurors campaigns had many mystical elements in common with the CU because I ported them into Ultimate Supermage, Ultimate Mystic, Mystic World and /arcane Adversaries. Ah, the megalomaniac joys of a writer's life!

And we thank you very much for letting us have them to play and build with. We'll try to take good care of them. :hail: