Hex and figurines

steph

How do you feel about graph paper for maths and lined paper for writing? ;)

I've never used graph paper for math. I assume there is a valid utility there, and perhaps either I was never trained to take advantage or never rose to a level where I need it. I was usually content with my simple sketches of not to scale graphs, for instance.

Lined paper for writing has pros and cons- it does help offer a certain structure and scale. It also does tend to distort lettering and size at the same time. People could potentially write better without it, based on their skill and the kind of use they intend.

However, for the original point of maps... I still don't see much utility. Besides making those who prefer them (for whatever reason) happy, which is fine.

Hero is not a game such as Pathfinder (or its predecessor D&D3.5) that has a number of character abilities that depend on knowing exactly how one's character is positioned in relation to allies and enemies. And I know a number of people who forgo minis for Pathfinder.

Whether or not one uses minis in Hero is a matter of preference; there are good arguments both for and against them. I've run Hero both with and without. In my experience, using minis tends to promote tactical play (ie, it stresses the game element of RPG), and if that's your cup of tea I suggest using them. Not using them tends to promote creative play (stressing the roleplaying element of RPG). Note that I've said "tends to", not "works exclusively with" - some players transcend the division, others are unable to work with either.

There are times even with usually using minis that one must forego them, particularly if vehicles or long-range powers are involved. LIkewise, if I'm not using minis I've sometimes resorted to sketching a plan and marking positions on a whiteboard for complex set-ups (these aren't usually to precise scale, so this is more along the theory that a picture paints a thousand words).

Hero has quite a few systems that are highly dependent on placement. i.e. In Hero Facing really matters, attacking someone from behind really means something. In Pathfinder there's no facing. Also movement (i.e. flight) has turn radius and that is much easier using a hex grid. 

Hero is MUCH harder to run combat without a good map and figures(or similar). Combat in Hero is supposed to be highly tactical. That's why we have segmented combat, Facing, Combat Maneuvers, Range Modifiers, Skill Levels, etc

I would have to look it up, but I think you still take a DCV penalty vs folk attacking from behind (unless you have 360deg Vision). (Too many editions of the game in my head, and a bit muzzy from being sick). Because you can't percieve them. Just like someone standing in front of you invisible.

re: Attacks from behind

I think the highlighted part of Defense Maneuver below clears it up.   Just being behind someone would not be enough. Getting there stealthily (not heard or seen) is the real trick.

Defense Maneuver I-IV
Eliminates Multiple Attacker Bonuses to all attackers, even those which the character cannot perceive. (This does not allow him to perceive said attackers — it simply means that the way he moves in combat, no one can get a clear shot at his back, regardless of whether he knows they’re there. For example, he’d still suffer the reduced DCV that comes from being attacked by a foe he couldn’t perceive with a Targeting Sense, but that foe wouldn’t get a Multiple Attackers Bonus or bonus for attacking him “from behind.”). Acts as a “sense,” i.e., the character need not spend a Half Phase to use his Defense Maneuver (using it takes no time); any Combat Skill Levels that improve the character’s DCV are considered Persistent for this purpose.

I would have to look it up, but I think you still take a DCV penalty vs folk attacking from behind (unless you have 360deg Vision). (Too many editions of the game in my head, and a bit muzzy from being sick). Because you can't percieve them. Just like someone standing in front of you invisible.

re: Attacks from behind

I think the highlighted part of Defense Maneuver below clears it up.   Just being behind someone would not be enough. Getting there stealthily (not heard or seen) is the real trick.

6E2 37 states "Attack from behind (Surprised)" to give the DCV penalty.

CC 137 covers it under Surprised and gives examples of when someone may be surprised, including being attacked from behind, but not if an attacker moves behind someone to attack them (my paraphrase).

Right. As far as I know, Hero has never had "facing" rules as such. Although movement or actions are segmented by phase, it's assumed that you are still moving and reacting inbetween your own actions; So you can't simply stroll around your opponent and whack him from behind in your phase and then wait while he strolls behind you and whacks you from behind in his phase, etc.

To any kind of positioning bonus you either need to gain surprise, or be able to apply multiple attacker bonuses.

Cheers, Mark

I will too cause I might be using an old house rule from when I was taught.

And the kicker is that it could be valid for one edition too.

I vaguely recall facing being important for shield usage as well.

Typically I prefer to use no map for simple encounters and a hex map for complex ones. I find hex maps to be far preferable to rulers/tape measures as movement and range can be easily computed; Hero doesn't need another reason to slow down gameplay. Hexes do lose a certain 'fog of war' aspect, however, since it's immediately clear whether or not you can make it to that bad guy with a half move.

I thought I recalled something in the facing rules about how you can change your facing as a zero phase action (essentially, you are facing any direction you want to face should you be aware of your environment, and thus it makes narrative sense that you are able to block a particular blow), unless you have already committed to an action (or are unaware of what's behind you).

So, I am sort of Schrodinger's Facing until I commit to block a guy, and then I am committed to that facing until I have another Phase (or I suppose Abort my next Phase, but that's the same thing).

Or am I mixing this up with Pathfinder? Only other system I've played.