Does Champions need an intro campaign book?

Fedifensor

I believe the biggest obstacle, besides this being a product that people would be making for free, is the lack of a good artist.  For this to really be appealing to new players, you need comic book quality art.  Not somebody who is okay with HeroMachine art.  Actual comic book quality artwork.  I thought maybe somebody here would be a good artist, but I asked around and nobody spoke up.  I don't really blame them, to make this work you'd probably need 50 good pieces of art, at least.  Without that, I don't think new players would give it a second glance.

Also most Artists don't like to work for free. I don't really blame them. Now, IF DOJ were doing the product they do seem to own some artwork stuff that has been used in products though the years.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also most Artists don't like to work for free. I don't really blame them. Now, IF DOJ were doing the product they do seem to own some artwork stuff that has been used in products though the years.

Writers don't like to work for free either, but we had several people willing to put in a lot of hours writing, editing, designing the adventure, making characters, etc.  We had people who were pretty good at HeroMachine who were trying to get character images done.  All that stuff is still work.

I still think that artists might be easier to entice into working on a project that a group was excited about that was, as far as the content, done, versus something that might someday be finished. If the content is done, then they will have confidence that, if they finish their art, then it will be out there, even if it isn't a big release. Otherwise, it's likely it will just be art that they have in their portfolio, but that never saw the light of day elsewhere.

I still think that artists might be easier to entice into working on a project that a group was excited about that was, as far as the content, done, versus something that might someday be finished. If the content is done, then they will have confidence that, if they finish their art, then it will be out there, even if it isn't a big release. Otherwise, it's likely it will just be art that they have in their portfolio, but that never saw the light of day elsewhere.

Yeah, back when we were actively talking about it in the Champions Begins thread, I asked if anybody knew how to draw.  All I got were crickets chirping.  Other than Storn, who posts very occasionally, I don't think any of our normal posters are very good at comic book style art.  Or at least they didn't speak up. :)

I just don't see the value of moving forward and doing a book if there's no way to finish it with artwork.

Artists and writers are a fairly abused lot.

I've got a Bachlors Degree in Fine Arts, and everyone from friends and family to future employers expects me to work for free to gain "experience" or "material for my portfolio"... Forgetting (or not caring) that "Future Me" already spent 36k going to school and working for free to gain that experience and portfolio material. I'm sure writers are in similar, or even worse positions.

This is very true. For a HERO Product I might be willing to work at a severe discount. But I'm not interested in pumping out illustrations for a product that is never going to exist. Illustrations done for personal purposes aren't as valuable in a portfolio as material that somebody actually published. Unless you know it's going to publish; it just isn't a wise investment to spend hours or days or weeks working on art that can't pay the bills and won't help you do so in the future.

I can draw and am reasonably good at it, but if I was going to be doing a lot of writing, I just don't have time, particularly since I'd be donating it all.

However, some young artist desperate to get into comics and wanting attention, this would be a good way to get some, even if there's no pay.

I can draw and am reasonably good at it, but if I was going to be doing a lot of writing, I just don't have time, particularly since I'd be donating it all.

However, some young artist desperate to get into comics and wanting attention, this would be a good way to get some, even if there's no pay.

I'm just saying, if they are smart, and have the drive to finish projects that they start, they are quickly going to learn that not everyone is that way, and be hesitant to join in on a project that is counting on too many people being like they are, with no promise of pay.

If, however, they see a largely finished product produced by people with such drive, they may find this a more attractive option than hoping the project they may see as interesting ever gets to a point where it's finished.