Converting from Heroes Unlimited

Mr. R

So I have been using Hero Designer (For 5th ed) to convert characters from Century Station and later Gramercy Island.  I intend to post them once I get a good amount done, but I have a question.

Is it better to convert them using the stats and power levels listed (where a hero had a blaster that does 3d6 damage the same as a glock pistol), or should I make it so they are more Hero like (where the blaster would be at least 8d6)?

As far as stats and skills go I am ok, but the wonkiness of some of the powers are making my head spin!

I'd recommend just building them as though you were building any other characters, and try to get the feel right, rather than 1-to-1 damage conversion or what have you. Like the 3d6 blast might seem right, if you're judging based on the power of a glock, but compare that to even a PD/ED 20 character, and it'll never do any damage.

Damage works differently in Palladium games.  It's generally more lethal, although you can have characters with 1,000 SDC and 300 HP who can probably survive a nuke.  Mostly I'd say their characters are on the lower end of the power scale, 8-10D6 range.  But that may not be very fun, depending on what you want them for with your campaign.

I was heading in that direction, but started second guessing my self.

As it is most character are low cost, with most around 200 pts, a few at 300 pts, and a couple (Mega Heroes) at 400 pts.

The funnest to make was the Creator, who has an 85% chance ti invoke a genetic reaction every time he uses a power.  So Str above 10, flight, healing factor, energy blast...  He has a lot of powers, but a 13+ Burnout and Side effects and Susceptibility when the Burnout occours.  I predict he would die in the first fight as he also has a SPD of 6, so lots of chances to blow his roll!  I don't think KS thinks of the math.

Ex Jump kick does double damage.  But it uses all but one attack. 

2 Attacks    #1  2d6   #2  1d6   vs    #1 and #2 doing  1d6 each     So 3d6 vs 3d6

3 Attacks    #1-2 2d6  #3 1d6   vs     #1 and #2 and #3  doing 1d6 each    So 3d6 vs 3d6

4 Attacks    #1-3 2d6  #4 1d6   vs    #1 and #2 and #3 and #4 doing 1d6 each   so 3d6 vs 4d6

5 Attacks    #1-4 2d6  #5 1d6   vs    #1 and #2 and #3 and #4 and #5 doing 1d6 each    so 3d6 vs 5d6

It just gets worse!

The most I normally do for conversion between games is the establishment of benchmarks, e.g. what's peak human, what's superhuman, what strength makes someone a Brick, etc.

The way armor works in Heroes Unlimited is particularly difficult to convert.  Studded leather armor and a hard composite plate bulletproof vest have the same Armor Rating (12), meaning they both have a 60% chance of absorbing all damage from an attack.  The difference is the total amount of damage they can absorb before being destroyed.  Then you have Natural Armor, which either makes you completely immune to damage from an attack or offers no protection at all, depending on your die roll against the Armor Rating.

I suppose you could use strength as a baseline for damage.

A 40 STR in Hero System deals 8d6 damage.

In terms of lifting capacity, this is equivalent to roughly 352 PS, 71 Extraordinary PS, 47 Superhuman PS, or 29 Supernatural PS.

Punch Damage:

352 PS: 1d4 + 337

71 Extraordinary PS: 1d4 + 56

47 Superhuman PS: 1d4 + 32

29 Supernatural PS: 4d6

That... doesn't seem to work well.  Maybe only use Supernatural PS as the baseline?

Since Heroes Unlimited lifting capacity is linear, every doubling would be +5 Hero.

14: 2d4 HU.  7d6 Hero.

58: 2d4 x 10 HU.  9d6 Hero.

116: 4d6 x 10 HU*.  10d6 Hero.

*Maybe.  The table only goes up to 70 PS.  I'm extrapolating the progression.

For Str I take their carrying capacity based on PS in lbs, convert to KG and check on Hero Str table.  Because some have PS 30 and another has PS 30 (Superhuman) means different things.

The rest map pretty well PP=dex, PE=con, IQ= int, etc

PD and ED I gauge based on AR and SDC, with high SDC getting a stun bonus.

SPD is # att minus 2

Run is based in their run speed attribute.

Skills are eyeballed

Level gives you a CSL DCV only based on the level.  (One I think come out to 4 CSL DCV only and has a 30 dex and Martial arts)

OH Hero Martial Arts I limit to Super agent, Vigilante, Slueth, Ancient Master, Physical Training and Natural Combat Ability (And maybe Karma)

Any other suggestions?