A Game of Numbers

Starlord

• 2 weeks later...

2, 551,443

average number of seconds in a synodic month, which is the length of time from full moon to full moon.  It is not the orbital period of the moon;  it's longer because it's based on geometric alignment with the earth and sun.  It varies because the earth's orbital velocity is not constant.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing the last official release (v1.3.1), which has its warts and its tactical AI isn't all that smart, but it scratches an itch like few other things do.  The graphics would now be considered execrably primitive, but IMO flashy graphics are what game developers use to paper over their all-but-total ineptitude as strategic thinkers in terms game design and in AI logic.  In the Civilization franchise I admit I haven't played anything since Civ II, which lacked a tactical battle facet but had a lot of other stuff going for it.

And it's turn-based, which for me is flatly essential.  I peaked with a RL DEX 6, and I've accrued some age penalties from there, so I find twitch games unplayable.  It is also single-player, so I don't have to deal with the fungi who populate the festering cesspit of infantile anal aggression that characterizes almost every on-line game I have ever seen.

On 7/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, Logan.1179 said:

Oh, no you don't. I fell for Anal Meth once, not falling for it again!

Back in the 90's I was in a Math Department and at the time their abbreviation for one course title, as it appeared in the time schedule, was REAL ANAL (yeah, monocase caps).  I asked if the next course in the series was COMPLEX ANAL.  I kept expecting some legislator to blow a gasket and answer a number of unrelated prayers from many students by dissolving the Math Department.