A Game of Numbers

Starlord

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:03 AM, Pariah said:

Nope. I'm antitriskaidekaphobic.

So was I until my heart exploded on a Friday the Thirteenth.   Now when one comes up I just sit quietly and hope nothing notices me.

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

The number of the day is

7x10^27, or

7 Octillion, or

... Atoms in the universe.

But who's counting, right?

But that's low by many, many, many orders of magnitude, I think.  The estimate of the number of protons in the universe is 10^80.  The mass of the earth is on the order of 10^24 kilograms.  Uranium atoms are among the heaviest known.  1 mole of uranium is 6 x 10^23 atoms, and weighs a touch under 1/4 kilogram.

So you're a tad bit off there...

:think:  I think the worst I was ever off on a graded exam was 66 orders of magnitude.  Fortunately, I recognized it and made a notation to that effect, though I didn't have the time to go back and figure out how it had happened.  (Turned out I'd dropped a sign in the exponent  going from one page to the next.)

The question had to do with estimating the amount of dark matter in the Galaxy from the observed rotational velocity, and then to make the assumption it was in some form (e.g., terrestrial planets) and estimate the space density of the assumed objects.  When I was an undergrad astronomers were still using cgs units for the solar quantities; in cgs units, both mass and luminosity of the sun are (2 or 4) times 10^33.

-------

On 4/26/2021 at 3:54 PM, Pariah said:

I wore 78 in football and 52 in basketball -- both multiples of 13.

The only times I wore a numbered uniform playing sports I also wore a multiple of 13 ... because I wore zero.