A Game of Numbers

Starlord

19 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I think it's just a facet of the reflexive horror of actual math which our school and teacher preparation systems have been programmed to instill in students starting in 1st grade.

If there was one thing I could change about education in America this would be close to the top of the list.  I get that math instruction tends strongly toward being abstract and dry, but this has to be a solvable problem, right?   And it's been exceptionally frustrating watching both my kids come down with a bad case of hating math. 

7 minutes ago, Cancer said:

"Hate the teacher, not the subject."  :straight:

Fine, but then how can we get better teachers-- (remembers low pay, critical race theory, trans students, violent students, guns in schools) --you know what, never mind.  I'm gonna go read up on AI teaching.

Perhaps, go back to letting teachers be teachers and not state-sponsored de facto surrogate parents? Increase their pay across the board. Fundamentally change the curriculum. Focus on these subjects: language (reading, writing*), poetics, dialectic, logic, rhetoric, arithmetic, geometry, harmony/music, natural science, natural philosophy, ontology, ethics, Latin, technology usage. *different forms of writing: essays, poems, short stories, letters, maybe include a play too. 

addendum: forgot to include epistemology (or criterology) as a subject. Maybe include natural theology as well. 

second addendum: additional subjects: meditation (or contemplation), physical education (ie sport, which would also include martial arts), ikigai. 

third addendum: history, historicity, law (Roman law aka nowadays called civil law, English common law, international law, human rights law). 

4th addendum: economics & political economy, specifically the type that goes under the names Hamiltonian, American System, Protectionism, National Banking. 

Edited by Bazza

• 2 months later...