Jedi Ability To Know Your Feelings

g3taso

You know 'em, and love 'em. I've been trying to model the classic Sith/Jedi ability to know feelings. 

"Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side... then perhaps she will..."

"You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more my servant. "

Here's my initial attempt: 

I Can Feel Your Anger Flowing Through You:  Telepathy 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (25 Active Points); Empathy All Emotions (-1/2), Receive Only (-1/2)

A fair attempt. I'd like thoughts on making it better. Specifically I want to point out this appears to be a completely passive power, apparently just hearing what people are broadcasting at this lowest level of finesse.

Agreed.

I Can Feel Your Anger Flowing Through You:  Telepathy 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1/2), Cumulative (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (30 Active Points); Empathy All Emotions (-1/2), Receive Only (-1/2)

I was hoping IPE would function to not alert someone with an unsuccessful roll. I was hoping to follow the "just listening to what is being broadcast".

As an alternative approach, I've had good luck rendering things like this as alternative senses (which seems in keeping with your source material).

Empathic Sense:

Sense Group: Mental

Sense Modifiers: Increased Arc of Perception (360 Degrees), Discriminatory, Analyze, Sense, Range

Sense Type: Passive

Cost: 32 CP

Allows a character to perceive the emotions of beings within their line of sight.

If the line-of-sight restriction seems too limitting, you can add Fully Penetrative for 10 CP.  If you want to save some points, you can drop Analyze to reduce the cost by 5 CP, but you would lose some resolution, probably including the ability to identify what the emotions are focussed on.

Can I ask why you're not using Detect?

Detect is the way to go. It is invisible to others, and you can get surprising accurate results without having to "read minds". Add targeting, and prehaps an emotion based Mind Control and your all set to manipulate the heck out of people.

This is what Stenica and MidnightNinja were talking about

I Can Feel Your Anger Swelling In You Now:  Detect Surface Thoughts & Feelings 12- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Ranged (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), OIF (; -1/2)

I must say I like this power. Better than my idea, actually. It doesn't have targeting, just like Vader couldn't find Luke. What would the range on this power be? Any thoughts?

At wolfrunswithfox

"I would appologize for my response being delayed (I'm new to the boards so my posts still need to go through moderation)..." 

Welcome to the boards.

"but since it led to me being ninja'd by a ninja, I'll just assume it was meant to be."

Occupational hazard  :snicker:

Perhaps a Limitation that Mental Defense or Power Defense with Force SFX apply as a penalty to the Detect?

I feel like it should be a custom skill that acts like stealth does to normal perception checks. I vaguely remember a skill that acted like stealth versus mental stuff in the ultimate mentalist. Unfortunately, the friend of mine who has that book lives far away, so I can't look into it.

This is what Stenica and MidnightNinja were talking about

I Can Feel Your Anger Swelling In You Now:  Detect Surface Thoughts & Feelings 12- (Unusual Group), Discriminatory, Ranged (+1/2), No Range Modifier (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), OIF (; -1/2)

I must say I like this power. Better than my idea, actually. It doesn't have targeting, just like Vader couldn't find Luke. What would the range on this power be? Any thoughts?

A few things g3taso: 

Why are you using the Unusual Group and not Mental Group? I don't think it's wrong, just wondering.

I don't think you can put No Range Modifier on a sense. If I remember correctly, you're supposed to use telescopic for senses. I'll check it out later. If you remove No Range Modifier on the sense, the range of a sense is effectively how far you go out until the range modifier on senses makes the roll basically impossible. 

I think this power needs Fully Penetrative or Partially Penetrative. Fully Penetrative is  10 points for a single sense, 15 points for a sense group.  Partially Penetrative is 5 points for a single sense, 10 points for a sense group. I don't imagine Jedi or Sith being thwarted by, say, a plywood box when sensing people's feelings.

What's the focus you're imagining for this power?

I think those are all my thoughts on the matter.

So many options:

Telepathy (obviously).

Detect

Also didn't Mind Scan allow for a certain "level" of Telepathy on a high result?

I always felt like the Force/Dragonball Powerlevels/Bleach Powerlevels could be best moddeled using existing Mental Rules, especially stuff like "hiding your powerlevel" and "I felt a presense I have not felt in a long time".

With a GM's permission you can scan for minds under a certain set of criteria (female, angry, young, etc) which presumes a level of analysis.  As the rules say, though

However, having a lock-on to a target doesn’t tell the character anything about him (or vice-versa), such as his Skills, powers, personal history, motivations, or the like.

So that suggests that the information you get is limited to target type and not details.