Transmit Sense Modifier (5e)

g3taso

I've always interpreted it as Stealth is hiding in motion (i.e. move silently) and Concealment applies if hiding while still (i.e. hide in shadows)

That's how I've always used it, too.

Transmit is not communication it is the ability to transmit what you are sensing.  So transmit sight allows someone to see what you are seeing.

So how is a 2 way radio built, then?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always interpreted it as Stealth is hiding in motion (i.e. move silently) and Concealment applies if hiding while still (i.e. hide in shadows)

I could swear that's in accordance with some version of the rules, but I just checked 6th edition and it seems to imply otherwise. So I may be either out of date or just plain wrong on this.

4th edition includes the following under the description of Concealment Skill: "The character may hide himself from a search using Concealment ("Andarra wedges herself behind a console").

Stealth Skill should be used for any active concealment, as when the character is trying to move silently; only use Concealment Skill for nonmoving objects."  Stealth Skill says: "This DEX-based Skill is the ability to hide in shadows, move silently or avoid detection in combat conditions. [...] If the character wants to hide, he should use his Concealment Skill."  Danger International, to pick one earlier book, includes similar verbiage.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled, on-topic discussion of the Transmit Sense Modifier.

Thanks rravenwood: I wanted to go check older editions, but didn't have those books with me. 5ER does have similar language, so it looks like that was a 6ed change that finally caught up with how I've been doing it for years. ;)  It never made sense to me to have different skills for "sneaky while moving" and "sneaky while standing still," other than D&D broke it down that way. But YMMV of course.

I think he means that just because you're Transmitting, it doesn't mean that anyone is receiving.  A 2-way radio does you no good if there isn't a receiver within range.

Actually, that would be a limitation on transmit, making it require a proper receiver at the other end.  Though, it can also be assumed to be part of the special effect of the transmit.

To be honest, this is Hero after all.  If we look at this in the fashion of creating a eavesdropping device, say a bug, it could be created in a variety of ways.  In any of the ways, it would be totally appropriate, that a person with HRRH could eavesdrop on/track the bug even if the bug is created as a mind link, clairsentience, hearing transmit, or penetrative and telescopic hearing, if the GM deems by special effect this is possible to do.  Reversing this idea means that one can use transmit on sight as a way to transmit what they see to another without the need of radio hear and transmit (which as a power does not allow you to access television transmissions).