Constantine Character Sheet

Dumorte

NP :D

Without campaign guidelines beyond 400pt characters, they have given you a nearly impossible task. Without knowing campaign averages you have no basis on which to build the character. ie even something as small as knowing how many dice the GM sees the PC's throwing on average can make a huge difference in PC construction. If you can I would talk to the other players and see if you can find out how powerful (ie Dice, Defenses, OCV/DCV) their characters are going to be. See if all of you can come to a consensus as to powerlevel.

That is a very good idea. I believe there are two other player characters that the GM has declared complete. I shall ask them what their Offense/Defenses are looking like to see what the GM has green lit. 

If you as GM are expecting fully rounded characters that are as flexable as a Heroic Level character plus Powers then 12d6 as an average doesn't work well.

This depends on what kind of Heroic Level character. 175 point characters are very different from 275 pointers.

A 400 point superhero can easily be as capable as a 175 pointer, and have all their super-stuff as well.

That said, the priorities in building the two kinds of character tend to be very different.

Absent further direction from the GM I would tend to prioritize two things:

1. Character durability.  Because playing an unconscious character is no fun.  Not-Constantine probably walks around with all sorts of magic wards to keep himself from getting killed in an ambush--most likely Force Field, but maybe Damage Negation or Damage Reduction if you're up to the challenge.

2. Character versatility.  Mages really lend themselves to this as you can justify pretty much any power in the book using magic as a special effect.  Focus on the powers that the combat monsters aren't likely to have--telekinesis, telepathy, transform, invisibility, change environment, teleport usable on others, aids and healing.  Many of these are useful even at low active point totals. 

3. Speed.  Being a SPD 4 character in a campaign full of SPD 7 supers is no fun.  Constantine is no speedster but the passage of time in the comics is relative.  Shoot for SPD 6 unless instructed otherwise.  Sometimes you can get creative and use Duplication or buy a familiar to get the same effect.

4. Character motivation.  Have things to drive your character besides whatever is happening in the campaign.  A good start is to have a push (flee from that demon you pissed off) and a pull (quest to free girlfriend from purgatory).

5. That's four things.  Or is it five?

Keep in mind not every character has to be uber combat effective to be an important part of the campaign. The main thing is the "role playing" afterall. I'd focus on the core of this character and work with that. He's essentially a skilled normal, so I don't expect him to be a combat monster, but he might have a few tricks up his sleeve with that magical aptitude.

Keep in mind not every character has to be uber combat effective to be an important part of the campaign. The main thing is the "role playing" afterall. I'd focus on the core of this character and work with that. He's essentially a skilled normal, so I don't expect him to be a combat monster, but he might have a few tricks up his sleeve with that magical aptitude.

Indeed you do not need to be a combat monster. But you should at least be capable.

As I said before, combat resolution does take a lot of time when started. It is never fun to have a character that can not participate. Historically Combat is the part of the game with the most inherent meaningfull decisions.

NP :D

Without campaign guidelines beyond 400pt characters, they have given you a nearly impossible task. Without knowing campaign averages you have no basis on which to build the character. ie even something as small as knowing how many dice the GM sees the PC's throwing on average can make a huge difference in PC construction. If you can I would talk to the other players and see if you can find out how powerful (ie Dice, Defenses, OCV/DCV) their characters are going to be. See if all of you can come to a consensus as to powerlevel.

That is a very good idea. I believe there are two other player characters that the GM has declared complete. I shall ask them what their Offense/Defenses are looking like to see what the GM has green lit. 

Shadowrun 4E and 5E would have the same problem, if the books did not give guidelines/maximum values in thier book.

As you mentioend "400 points", I asumed you were using the caps from the book.

Every point buy system has to have exponential cost or defined caps, even if those are relative to a starting value or whatever.

Shadowrun 4E and 5E would have the same problem, if the books did not give guidelines/maximum values in thier book.

As you mentioend "400 points", I asumed you were using the caps from the book.

Every point buy system has to have exponential cost or defined caps, even if those are relative to a starting value or whatever.

I find that caps aren't nearly as useful as Averages are. Caps let you know the absolute maximums. The books give a range with the cap. I like giving an average for the major campaign stats. Then a player knows the kind of campaign I am running. ie I could have a 70pt maximum on all powers, but the campaign has a 10d6 average on attacks. It lets you know that there's a wider range for attacks and powers than a 12d6 game.

Hello! I am joining my first ever Hero System 6th edition campaign and I want to make a John Constantine (Hellblazer) type of character. I'm reading through the book and I am able to figure some things out but other things are super confusing to me. Anyway, I wanted to post here what I have made so far for the character and see what I can change or I am misunderstanding. Currently, our starting point limit is 400 pts. Any help is greatly appreciated!

val    char  Points

10    str        00 

20    dex       20

15    con       05

22    int         12

22    ego       12

15    pre        05

06    ocv        15

06    dcv        15

07    omcv     12

07    dmcv     12

03    spd        10

07    pd          05

07    ed          05

09    rec         05

50    end         06

15    body       05

40   stun         10

Skills, Perks, Talents

• Absolute Time Sense
  • Analyze
  • Forgery
  • Shadowing
  • Pro/Knowledge (Occult)
  • Bump of Direction
  • Bribery
  • Gambling
  • Sleight of Hand
  • Pro/Knowledge (Religion)
  • Combat Luck
  • Bureaucratics
  • High Society
  • Stealth
  • Scholar
  • Resistance
  • Charm
  • Interrogation
  • Streetwise
  • Traveler
  • Simulate Death
  • Concealment
  • Lipreading
  • Tactics
  • Well-Connected
  • Language (Angelic)
  • Conversation
  • Lockpicking
  • Tracking
  • Jack of All Trades
  • Language (Demonic)
  • Cryptography
  • Navigation
  • Trading  
  • Language (Latin)
  • Deduction
  • Persuasion
  • Ventriloquism  

POWERS

• Barrier (4m long, 4m tall, 2m thick barrier) (Incantations, Lockout, Concentration)
  • Blast (3d6 Magic) (Incantations, Lockout)
  • Killing Attack (Incantations, Limited Power: Only Demons)
  • Dispel (4d6) (Incantations)
  • Healing (2d6) (Incantations, Concentration, Lockout)
  • Mental Defense (Always On)
  • Mental Illusions (4d6) (Incantations)
  • Teleportation (5m) (No Limitations)

EDIT: The format I originally posted this as did not show up after being posted. So i fixed it to make it legible. 

Originally John Constantine was not a Homo Magus like Zatanna. He could do rituals but it took time.

The Original Mayfair rules stated characters like him to AP's in time that equaled the AP's of effect they were trying to pull off.

Now up on current DC continuity so if they have changed that I do not know.