A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

This girl on the cover of the catalog, she seems so happy. I wonder. Was she really happy when they took that picture? Is her life carefree and stable? Or is she just acting? I'd like to think that there are happy people in the world, somewhere.

:nonp: Ooooookay...

I have a profile on OkCupid, had one for years. I used to enjoy the little quizzes and tests. I'm not expecting to find love on there, but I admit that I do enjoy browsing the "matches" just to see them. Well, I got this email from OkCupid today, and I can only laugh.

We are very pleased to report that you are in the top half of OkCupid's most attractive users. The scales recently tipped in your favor, and we thought you'd like to know.

How can we say this with confidence? We've tracked click-thrus on your photo and analyzed other people's reactions to you in QuickMatch and Quiver.

. . .

Your new elite status comes with one important privilege:

You will now see
more attractive
people in your match results.

This new status won't affect your actual match percentages, which are still based purely on your answers and desired match's answers. But the people we recommend will be more attractive. Also! You'll be shown to more attractive people in their match results.

. . .

Suddenly, the world is your oyster. Login now and reap the rewards. And, no, we didn't just send this email to everyone on OkCupid. Go ask an ugly friend and see.

:rofl:

We use blower ovens in the lab to test glues. An electrician shorted one out today. After working on it, he switched it back on.

Him: Blowers not working. But at least the lights are working.

Team Leader: Uh, the oven doesn't have lights inside.

HIm: I'd better lock that out.

Today is Swedish Flag Day, our national holiday. We celebrate that some 487 years ago some bearded bloke became king of an independent Sweden, and that 203 years ago we got a proper constitution.

I'm gonna celebrate by, first, kicking back and relaxing, and second, going to work. Swedish Flag Day is not a very big deal around here. ^^

att Log-Man and other book lovers & librbarians...or those who just like looking through book catalogues:

The Book Depository offer Free Worldwide Shipping on books. (list of countries here)

I think from now on I'm gonna use Book Depository instead of Amazon, just because of this. For me to get things shipped by Amazon it is about 30-50% of the overall total (about $30 USD), so I can save this...and get more books. :)

See, that's what I don't like about hockey. When the players on the ice can't even tell when a goal has been scored, and that the season is over, you know it's just too hard to keep track of the puck. Plus the goal seemed awfully random to begin with. Poor Philly.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've had some complaints that the temperature in the cabin is too cold. Blanket and pillow sets are available for purchase for ten dollars. Please have your credit card ready as this is a no cash flight. "