Half DCV

steph

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big advantage to losing the hex map is that you get less counting and more estimating, so people aren't absolutely sure they can reach someone or hit bot those guys with an AE.

Of course the you get into the "is pre-measuring allowed?" argument, which has derailed so many wargaming groups over the years. :)

Tho with Hero, the obvious answer is "Did you buy Absolute Range Sense?"

I do like using hex mats, but I try to stress that the hexes are for measurement purposes only and are not "spaces" in a boardgame sense. If your 3.5m move means you wind up on the line between two hexes instead of in the middle of one, so be it.

Question for the folks that don't use hex mats: what do you draw on? I like being able to sketch out the area, and to erase & add stuff on the fly. I've tried doing the same on just plain paper but have had mixed results.

Of course the you get into the "is pre-measuring allowed?" argument, which has derailed so many wargaming groups over the years. :)

Tho with Hero, the obvious answer is "Did you buy Absolute Range Sense?"

To me, that would he a significant benefit to the tape measure. The guy who spends points to KNOW for sure gets a benefit for those points. But what's wrong with "I move as far as I can in this direction before firing a Blast at Pulsar", or "I charge towards Grond - if I get there in a half move, I will Punch him, otherwise I will Move Through", rather than "count, count, count, nope; count, count, count, nope; count, count, count, nope; count, count, count, nope; count, count, count - OK, half move less one meter here puts me on the exact edge of a no range modifier shot at Oculon".

I do like using hex mats, but I try to stress that the hexes are for measurement purposes only and are not "spaces" in a boardgame sense. If your 3.5m move means you wind up on the line between two hexes instead of in the middle of one, so be it.

Question for the folks that don't use hex mats: what do you draw on? I like being able to sketch out the area, and to erase & add stuff on the fly. I've tried doing the same on just plain paper but have had mixed results.

Anything you can draw on and erase - put a chalk board or a whiteboard down. Doesn't anyone make the same mats without pre-printed squares or hexes?

Its cheap and easy to buy that corrugated plastic stuff used for signs, you can get a pretty big one.  They're light and easy to use, although storing a tabletop is a minor problem

I recommend looking up what miniature hobbyists use, flocked felt and that kind of cloth, buy some aquarium decorations and find what cheap things you can use to represent features on the map.