Extraction: Drogen Lar

Hermit

I'm thinking of using one of the plot seeds I once posted for my own group....

Ironclad: We tend to forget the Dorvalan is AWOL from his people's military forces. Perhaps this part of the story is something he's not shared, even with his teammates. A crack team of Dorvalan commandos arrives, and attempts to 'repo' Ironclad for official court maritial and punishment. Perhaps his fellow Champions are out of town when this occurs. Will any of the PCs help someone who is labelled 'deserter' ? And why now? Maybe this is a ruse to save some higher officer's carreer.

Rather than use a simple commando team, I'm thinking of putting a group of empowered Perseid together to retrieve him. Likely, they are the 'super heroes' of their world, but here on Earth would be seen as villains... maybe.

Rather than actually think for myself, I thought I'd ask if anyone had suggestions for members. Restrictions...

1. Each one should be a Perseid/Dorvalan.

2. At least a few of them should be sympathetic antagonists (after all, they're doing their duty and bringing in what to them, is a deserter)

3. I'm keeping the number max to 6 (as Six is a sacred number to them).

Thanks.

Guest WhammeWhamme

I rather liked this one the first time I saw it... it's punchy. :)

Okay... alien superheroes.

Since they're super-powered, they should probably be a well rounded team with most (or all) archetypes represented.

One *has* to have been a friend of his. Perhaps even a relative.

They should be the most junior member

- perhaps some kind of speedster?

One needs to be a rival, perhaps someone who he humiliatingly defeated...

-This needs to be the brick. Heck, make them his long lost twin... :D

If I was doing this I would *definately* have a human, doing the 'Superman' thing somehow. Maybe the homeworlds of this age emits some kind of radiation that empowers him? (Then again, I take pleasure in twisting conventions just a little... :D).

-Maybe make him the mage, and so bloody well near all powerful on a planet with only technology?

I know you said not, but listen... isn't it just funny? :)

Alien Martial Artists are always fun. Make sure he has an unbelievably complex and confusing philosophy. This is decent place to stick the hardliner philosophy. (ie: he's a traitor!)

Aliens generally have the technology to let earthlings to build power armour, right? So don't have them do that themselves. I like the Giant Robot approach, or perhaps something that takes the opposite approach: incredibly portable, wristwatch sized 'armour' that just happens to make him indestructible and packing more firepower than an army division...

Now, the energy projector is hard to do creatively for an alien... sure :).

I suggest putting them in command, giving the whole 'sense of duty', and of course, the incredible arrogance. Actually, mix this with the Martial Artist to make your players groan...

Since I just mixed two items, well, metamorph is the other standby. I suggest going the techno-melting freak route. Deconstruct and reconstruct at will via nanomachines.

Just my first thoughts...

a few more ideas

On the whole I liked whay Whammewhamme (if that is his real name) had to say, but here's a few more twists:

I like the evil twin, long lost evil brother things but I 'd add: have his twin/bro replace Ironclad here on Earth and in the team. I mean, after all, all of those aliens look alike, especially the high g ones. If the team does aquick smash and grab, the team may be none the wiser that their pal is gone.

To the evil twin, I'd add:

- a shapeshifter of some sort. There's got to be a shapeshifter, otherwise how can the PC's be properly paranoid? Or maybe they've just been told that one of them is a doppleganger? Heh heh heh...

-instead of a speeedster, how about a time nmanipulator? It's the opposite side of v = d x t equation. Can't have speed without time. I'd make him or her the leader.

-how about a hive or colony being...essentially a take on duplication? There's seventy million people out there...where are they hiding?

-or a character with useful multiforms, rmember the Alan Moore Miracleman series? It turns out that MM was hust one possible form and all the others were saved in subspace until needed.

-I'd round out the team with a shrinking character, maybe a take on Superman/Hyperion where the brick comes from a world that is contained within an atom. As he grows into this universe he gains power proportionally.

Those are some ideas. I don't really look for any specific brick, MA, speedster, energy projector type of balance in my teams so this group might mix things up nicely.

As a general idea, what if you reverse the premise and have these guys show up loooking for asylum, they're deserters too...or maybe they're trying to get to Earth to warm Ironclad of the main force on their heels. Or maybe they're big liars who want the PC's to believe that stuff...

Anyway, good luck.

Vigil

I'd go a little easy on the 'former acquaintances' angle. So far it's been suggested that, out of 6 people, 3 have some personal connection to the target. This seems statistically improbable, and is the kind of thing that the other players in my campaign would notice and feel compelled to waste half an hour of playing time explaining how unlikely it was.

On the other hand, we could once again resort to the old 'lumping them together' trick. Have the female former romantic interest also be the rival (they broke up after he embarrassed her in some fashion, got promoted above her or whatever). I'd pass on the family member, though. No sane military organization will send a sibling to apprehend an escaped criminal. Not if their culture has any notion of familial loyalty, anyhow. The 'brother tracks down brother' plot works better if the brother doing the tracking is operating on his own initiative.

Now, if the brother went AWOL on some personal crusade to bring Ironclad in, and the superteam was sent to round them both up, that has potential.

IIRC Dorvalans are supposed to have a high innate energy resistance, so I could see a character who has had that expanded into energy absorption and re-projection - always fun to throw at those energy-projecting heroes.

I would expect the Dorvalans to have attempted the experiment than created Ironclad again, which would probably produce the team brick. It might be interesting if the experiment was not quite as successful as it was with Drogen Lar, producing a deformed monster. This being might want to kill Ironclad rather than just capture him, fearing that the Dorvalan government wants to replace him with Ironclad.

Consider allowing members of other races to be part of this team, possibly as mercenaries. My suggestion would be a super-powered Malvan, perhaps someone Ironclad encountered in the arena, only now hopped up on power-enhancing Malvan drugs.

Just for nostalgia's sake, I personally would love to see an alien martial artist proficient in Bandarian kick-boxing. ;)

For added fun, have the aliens bring along the judges, prosecutors, clerks, etc...the entire court, however the Dorlavians do such things. Make the antogonists' mastermind the High Magistrate, or whatever title works.

Have them attempt a peaceful arrest, with the intent of conducting the trial right there in earth orbit, aboard their starship.

Real law-and-order types might try to convince Ironclad to turn himself in, so that justice can be seen to in proper fashion.

Are Dorlavian trials fair, just, and equitable?

If the PCs resist, and are defeated, go to the trial scenario as well. If the PCs win, there could always be an appeal by the aliens to other heroes, or the authorities, for help.

Maybe Ironclad is eager to clear his name in court, and turns himself in, either before any fight takes place...or after a few turns of combat -- some players are prone to blast first and ask questions later.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Haerandir

I'd go a little easy on the 'former acquaintances' angle. So far it's been suggested that, out of 6 people, 3 have some personal connection to the target. This seems statistically improbable, and is the kind of thing that the other players in my campaign would notice and feel compelled to waste half an hour of playing time explaining how unlikely it was.

If you're referring to my post, I had two.

The newbie speedster friend or relative, and the Evil Twin Brick. (Who, I admit, is a bit of stretch, but it's a genre bit).

The first was for a bit of ambiguity. It's easy enough to assume that he might have a second cousin or a childhood friend that they simply didn't realize was connected. It's better narratively anyway.

As for the Evil Twin, well, he probably organized the whole damn mission. He'd have volunteered for the procedure, have insisted that something be sent, and is out for blood.

ooh. Yeah, Hermit. Romantic person *as well*? No, just go with two. Although... he could have spread himself around a fair bit... :)

Might make sense

(-what are the odds?

-Well, I've slept with about 86 of the females who were in line for the experiments... so about one in four. :o

-:eek: ).

Originally posted by Haerandir

On the other hand, we could once again resort to the old 'lumping them together' trick. Have the female former romantic interest also be the rival (they broke up after he embarrassed her in some fashion, got promoted above her or whatever). I'd pass on the family member, though. No sane military organization will send a sibling to apprehend an escaped criminal. Not if their culture has any notion of familial loyalty, anyhow. The 'brother tracks down brother' plot works better if the brother doing the tracking is operating on his own initiative.

Now, if the brother went AWOL on some personal crusade to bring Ironclad in, and the superteam was sent to round them both up, that has potential. [/b]

Interesting

One of the few things Marvel Comics "Alpha Flight" did often was track down and confront errant Canadian Super Agents . Wolverine , Sasquatch , Wild Child , etc...

A Government/Authority Super Team contacts the resident government and get authorization to arrest said individual . Extradtion Treaties , Foreign Policy , and Legal Precedents . Sounds like some fun .

Not to mention their attracting the attention of SuperVillians and Agencies seeking to aquire their technology , DNA(Telios) , etc...

Star Drinker, Part I

STAR DRINKER

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

20 STR 10 13- Lift 400 kg; 4d6 HTH [2]

23 DEX 39 14- OCV: 8/DCV: 8

23 CON 26 14-

14 BODY 8 12-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll: 13-

10 EGO 0 11- ECV: 3

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

15 PD 11 Total: 15 PD (8 rPD)

25 ED 20 Total: 25 ED (12 rED)/45 ED(32 rED)

5 SPD 17 Phases: 3,5,8,10,12

10 REC 2

46 END 0

40 STUN 4 Total Characteristics Cost: 157

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 15"/30"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

45 Energy Siphon: Absorption 6d6 (energy) goes to Energy Blast, Delayed Return Rate (Points fade at rate of 5 per minute;+1/4)

30 Adaptive Defense: Armor (20 ED), Linked to Absorption (-1/2), Only Up to Amount Rolled by Absorption (-1/2)

10 Altered Physiology: Damage Resistance (8 PD/12 ED)

25 Enhanced Perseid Eye Protection Plus: Sight Group Flash Defense (15 points) PLUS Hearing Group Flash Defense (10 points)

50 Energy Containment Effects: Multipower, 50-point powers

3u 1)Drink in the Stars: Darkness to Sight, Hearing Group, and Radio Groups 3†Radius, Personal Immunity (+1/4), No Range (-1/2) 5

3u 2)Feedback: Missile Deflection and Reflection (all ranged attacks, back at any target), Pure Energy Only (-1/2)

3u 3)Release: Energy Blast 2d6 PLUS Energy Blast 6d6, OIF (Wrist Brace; -1/2) 4

5u 4) Siphon Shields Transfer 2d6(+20 to maximum for total of 22) from any Force Fields or Force walls with Energy SFX (one at a time;+1/4) to END 5

3u 5) Gravity Well: Flight 15†3

Cost SKILLS Roll

6 +3 OCV with Energy Blast

3 Analyze (Energy Powers) 13-

4 SS: Quantum Sciences 14-

3 SS: Physics 13-

Total Powers and Skills Cost: 103

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

10 Distinctive Features: Energy Sink, Not Concealable [Always Noticed; Detectable only with Unusual Senses]

10 Distinctive Features: Alien with odd dark spots about him (Always noticed, Concealable with effort)

10 Hunted by Vice Admiral Nyter Lox 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Watched)

10 Physical Limitation: Knows little of Earth Culture (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Needs to Prove Self (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Easily Distracted by Scientific Matters (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Values Life (Common, Strong)

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

40 Experience Points or Disads not in use

Total Disadvantage Points:350

Star Drinker, Part II

Background/History: Lialor Dyn was not the most acclaimed scientist in his field, but he was one of the youngest to achieve the position. While interested in all sciences, he followed in his father's footsteps and focused in energy research. The scientist became one of many in a project under military supervision. The Dorvalan FTL capability was still somewhat primitive. As befitted his youth and rank, Lialor was assigned a lesser task of working on a way to regulate exiting energies of the current process while Elder scientists tackled the cutting edge.

Even the "small projects" had their danger however; an accident in a shipping yard Lialor was visiting caused a cascade effect that threatened to spread to the civilian sectors. In an act of desperation, Lialor tried using the equipment at hand, and his new theory, to redirect the cascade before it could harm any innocents. The effect was twofold: It quelled the cascade by using Lialor as the conduit, and Lialor Dyn was forever altered. Not that he knew it at first.

Dazed and confused, and not even sure just what had gone wrong, Dyn was taken to his domicile by a friend. When he tried to make a full report, he received a rather vicious reprimand for "neglecting proper procedures", a temporary suspension, and was told to tell no one about this situation. Feeling a bit insecure, Lialor withdrew for a time. Besides, he wasn't feeling well.

When he started to develop odd visual flecks floating around him, Lialor was pretty certain he had something a bit more complex than the Frugilian Flu. He had become a living energy sponge, able to drink in the energy of the stars themselves. Feeling he'd been given a chance to do things right this time, and wanting to prove himself, Lialor joined the small but proud ranks of Dorvala's Upholders (ie, the Perseid equivalent of super heroes). It was only a matter of time before he was noticed, and his status fully reactivated plus some. Lialor Dyn was fully inducted into government service, this time in the sanctioned upholder group as "Star Drinker" (It loses something in the translation).

More experienced, but still seeking to prove his worth, Star Drinker is somewhat perplexed about this assignment. Some of what he's been told of Drogen Lar seems to indicate a connection to his own creation, but he is cautious about angering his superiors so pursues his own avenues of investigation. He is both happy to get a chance to work with a Malvan (more specifically her superior technology), and a bit confused why more effort to communicate with the earthlings and their government isn't being made. True, they're savages, but it might make things go smoother they could enlist the humans' help.

Personality/Motivation: Lialor is one of those lucky Perseid who truly loves the path his heritage put him on. Science is a joy to him, and the use of his powers is largely just an extension of R&D as far as he's concerned. He's brilliant, but as yet his expertise is a bit too specialized and not advanced enough to have him truly elite in scientific circles. This, coupled with what he sees as past mistakes, has him eager to prove himself and his worth to both his superiors, and himself. He has a great deal of compassion for life, and worries that if ordered to use lethal force, he won't have the "strength" to do it.

From what he's been told, Drogen is the worst sort of deserter and is no doubt disrupting Earth's natural evolution by cultural contamination and giving too much tech too soon. Star Drinker expects Drogen Lar to be a violent brute who will hold nothing back. Given the nature of his powers work best against those with energy, he's worried he's not going to be very helpful.

QUOTE: "Amazing, I've never seen a more discrepant distrubution of technology among a culture."

Power/Tactics: Dorvalans are naturally more resistant to energies than most species, but the accident has magnified that for Lialor a hundred fold. Star Drinker is a living energy sponge. Light, sound, heat, it doesn't matter, any form of pure energy seems to just enter him to be used later. He most often utilizes what he's absorbed to create bursts of energy of his own. He has designed a special brace on his wrists that allow him to amplify the minimal energy further for even more potent blasts. This can still be taxing on him, but he has the potential to equal most energy projectors at their own game. If he touches an energy field (force field/forcewall) he can drink it in to reenergize himself.

Star Drinker's powers combined with his knowledge of energy mechanics allow him to achieve many feats. He can create a field of darkness and silence by soaking in all local energies, or even attempt to redirect gravity for short term flight. Star Drinker can also take a burst of energy of almost any sort and instead of absorbing it for later use, employ it as a feedback surge. However, it must be pure energy. For example, he can not (as yet) stop a physical projectile like a bullet because by the time he can nix the energy behind it, he's already been hit. The GM may also dictate he can not return magical blasts or other energies that defy standard norms.

In battle, Star Drinker seeks to find those with energy powers to fight. His expertises in the fields allow him to analyze such opponents, and he tries to act accordingly. Often his first action is to land, since he can't fly and use the other properties of his power at the same time. Then he tries to return the energies (plus some) thrown at him at either his attacker, or another enemy. Should the opposing projector wise up and target others, Star Drinker will observe if he or she has some energy field, and then try to get close enough to siphon it. It's rarely much, but it can often lower it enough to end the fight that much sooner.

Campaign Use: Unless he can get his hands on some sort of translator, Star Drinker's interaction with any PCs is probably going to be limited to combat. Nevertheless, if he downs a high tech PC and the fight is over, he would love a chance to look the equipment over. Just a peek. No doubt the superior tech level of some the Upholders of Earth will confuse and delight him. He may worry that Ironclad's influence has gotten out of hand.

Should he discover that Ironclad is not as bad as he's been portrayed, Star Drinker's curiosity may grow. He may even find out that it was the same accident that transformed Drogen that triggered the cascade that led to his own transformation. He also has been unaware that Drogen had it done to him involuntarily. That may turn Star Drinker even more sympathetic to Ironclad's plight. Naturally, if his superior or a certain Malvan has it their way, he'll never get that that far in his own personal investigation.

Appearance: Lialor Dyn was once typical of his people, jet black skin, pronounced ridges on both brow and shoulder blades. His light hair was short trimmed.

Of course, being an energy sponge has caused his skin to absorb light, and all around him flecks of energy disappear into black spots and hazes. The few times he has not been able to absorb energy has burned and fringed his hair so much that he now just shaves himself bald. Still, while eerie by Perseid standards, Lialor maintains an easy smile and has curious eyes that give him an almost boyish charm.

As an Upholder, it is traditional on his planet to dress colorfully (so not to deceive or mislead about his intent and purpose in society). Of course, the crackling fringe formed by his perpetual drinking of energy makes that redundant, but tradition is tradition. Lialor wears a sleeveless half tunic like shirt of bright blue, with gloves of the same hue. As his province of Tario is warm, he wears trunks and boots, both black, with the same blue for trim. He may wear other garment or gear as his superiors direct.

Done

I should note that the disadvantages are left in a way that could alter back on Dorvala. He might have perks or equipment there he wouldn't here on earth. I aimed for 350 since folks can always bump the points up, but if someone wanted an alien (or just an energy sponge) super hero, he'd be easier to steal and adapt that way for that use :)

EDIT: Please, feel free to tell me what you think. I hope I'm on the right track.

Sunder, Part I

SUNDER

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

60 STR 50 21- Lift 100 tons; 12d6 HTH [6]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

30 CON 40 15-

20 BODY 20 13-

10 INT 0 11- PER Roll: 11-

16 EGO 12 13- ECV: 5

20 PRE 10 13- PRE Attack: 4d6

4 COM -3 10-

25 PD 13 Total: 25 PD (20 rPD)

28 ED 22 Total: 28 ED (20 rED)

5 SPD 22 Phases: 3,5,8,10,12

20 REC 4

60 END 0

70 STUN 5 Total Characteristics Cost: 219

Movement: Running: 10"/20"

Leaping: 4"/8"

Swimming: 2

Cost Powers END

20 Misshapen Mitt HA +4d6;Reduced Endurance (0 END;+1/2), Hand-to-Hand Attack (-1/2) 0

20 Steelskin Altered Perseid Physiology: Damage Resistance (20 PD/20 ED)

9 Steel Body: Life Support ((Safe Enviroment: Low Pressure/Vacuum, High Pressure, High Radiation, Intense Cold, Intense Heat)

5 Flesh of Steel: Lack of Weakness (-5) for Resistant Defenses

5 Perseid Eyes: Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points)

14 Steel Body: Knockback Resistance -7â€

8 Heavy doesn’t mean slow: Running +4â€

11 Impenetrable Frame Hardened Advantage on both PD and Damage Resistance PD (+1/4)

Cost SKILLS Roll

20 +4 Hand to Hand

2 AK: Dorvala 11-

3 Concealment 11-

5 Defense Maneuver II

2 PS: Perseid Soldier 11-

1 Tactics 8-

2 Teamwork 13-

4 WF: Perseid Military Arms

Total Powers and Skills Cost: 131

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

20 Distinctive Features: Deformed freakish ugly alien (Always noticed and causes major reaction-fear/revulsion, Not Concealable)

10 Hunted by Vice Admiral Nyter Lox 8- (More Powerful, NCI, Watched)

20 Physical Limitation: Weighs 2,000 kg (all the time, Greatly Impairing)

10 Physical Limitation: Left hand twisted mangled hunk of metal with no fine manipulation (Infrequently, Greatly)

10 Physical Limitation: Knows little of Earth Culture (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence (Very Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Bitter, resentful, and touchy about his appearance (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Jealously hateful of Drogen Lar (Uncommon, Total)

20 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders (Very Frequently, Major)

10 Vulnerability: 2x STUN from Magnetic Attacks (Uncommon)

Total Disadvantage Points:350

Sunder, Part II

Background/History: When the lasers stopped firing, Bertek Rand grinned over at Drogen Lar. Once again, he'd bested his rival. It was one that had started as soon as they'd both arrived for training in the military on the same day. Both of them were gunning for a coveted position in the Dorvalan Space Marines. However, only so many slots were open.

"Well done," Drogen said with effort.

"Yes," Bertek's grin widened, "It was. Don't worry Drogen, maybe there will be another opening next year. This one is mine."

Drogen's ridges flexed into a scowling v formation at the taunt, but he recovered, "We'll see." Then turned and left.

Bertek won the position, of course. Bertek always won. Getting there took longer than he thought, but his transfer commenced. On the rare times he got to see his old "friend" Drogen, he took a bit of delight in dropping by the quartermaster offices to rub it in just a little. After that, they parted to meet no more.

It was years later when he was told of what had happened to his old rival. Drogen Lar had been transformed into a supersoldier. He had been blessed with strength and power rarely seen in the Empire; and had childishly run away, deserting his post, and going AWOL. Bertek Rand was secretly surprised. Drogen was many things, but a coward wasn't among them. Moreover, he was envious. They'd tried the experiment on Lar and not him?

One vice admiral was way ahead of him. Nykter approached him and offered Rand a chance to go through the same procedure, and work directly under him. Bertek smiled, complimented the Vice Admiral on his choice, and said yes.

They strapped him down and lowered him into a vat for "increased saturation", it would seem they were trying to make him even more powerful than Drogen Lar ever was. Unfortunately, it would seem the procedure was not perfected yet. As the chemicals melded into his flesh in a baptism of alloy and energies, Bertek, in his agony, could hear the technicians screaming something about erratic readings. When the pain ended, Bertek collapsed through the casing.

When he woke up, he glanced at his right arm and noticed the steel flesh. It had worked, a strangely painful grin started to form on his face again, then he looked more carefully. His arms, legs, his whole body was swelling with uneven and distorted lumps of the residue. His left had was one giant, vaguely sledge like lump- the fingers totally lost in a fusion. In horror, he brought it down, destroying the restbed and earned the name Sunder.

Oh, he was strong, but not any stronger it seemed than Drogen had been. Indeed, there were now constant comparisons to the "Successful" experiment. Drogen adapted. Drogen was obviously more compatible. Drogen was a celebrity; it was said, in alien arenas.

And the being that had once been Bertek was merely an overpowered freak.

Cycles later, when he was offered a chance to retrieve Drogen Lar and bring him to justice, Sunder felt joy in his leaden heart for the first time in a long while.

Personality/Motivation: Sunder (Nearest Persied translation) was once an amiable enough guy, if arrogant and a tad too fond of rubbing his victories in the faces of others. He was used to being the best at everything he tried. He was footrace champion of the K'arx province. He earned entry into the Imperial Space Marines. He was the quite popular with the ladies. In short, Bertek had it all.

Now all he has is power, and while he loves the rush that brings him, it's a weak balm to the bitterness that's been festering in him since the change. He has grown increasingly hard to work with, only his own stubborn pride keeping him from lashing out at those who cringe at his visage or snicker behind his back. The Vice Admiral has tried to transfer any anger Sunder would feel towards him over to Drogen Lar instead. That method has worked; All too well.

Sunder subconsciously blames everything on Drogen. In the darkest pits of Sunder's thoughts, Drogen is the one who upset the natural order of things by "succeeding" where Bertek failed. Sunder's goal, when they find Drogen, is to do more than just bring him in. He plans best him, humiliate him, and, perhaps even kill him. Sunder intends for Drogen to "Pay".

QUOTE: "Weakling. You don't just face a soldier of Dorvala, you face the GREATEST Soldier of Dorvala - Ever!"

Power/Tactics: Sunder is a smudged and flawed copy of Ironclad. Overall, they now have the same abilities. Strength wise, they are evenly matched. The grotesque lumps and nodes over Sunder's steel flesh do give him an edge in defenses, providing extra layers that are hard for physical attacks to penetrate. He has also practiced using his wedge like left extremity to apply even more force with sharp focused blows.

In battle, Sunder fights to win. If he can strike by surprise, he'll do it. He had some training in camouflage as well as tactics, and a flat out ambush is not above him. Sunder may be hard to work with outside of battle, but once one starts, he can coordinate with a unit pretty well. However, if he faces Ironclad, it's likely much of Sunder's discipline will fade in a flash of the burning hatred he's been so meticulously feeding.

Naturally, he shares Ironclad's weakness to magnetic attacks as well.

Campaign Use: Sunder is the "Brute Squad" of the team, and one can simply use him as such. At this point, without some major revelation and, well, let's face it, psychological help; he's not likely to be turned from the path he's chosen for himself. He's not really interested in interacting with the PCs or anyone else. He has an obsession with Ironclad, and the GM should try to let that leak out in body language and action. Sunder's hate for Ironclad should be apparent every time he appears.

Should Ironclad donate some art to a museum, Sunder will try to wreck both art AND the building housing it. Should Ironclad show a fondness for a particular human, Sunder will delight in terrifying him or her. Sunder's not above going on his own to do so, and might even risk defying orders.

If you want him more powerful, you can boost his strength by a bit more. If you wish him to go solo completely, you might give him 25% damage reduction so he can better singularly face a super hero team.

If he's too tough, perhaps making him more ponderous would be in character. Consider lowering his dexterity to a 15, or his SPD to a 4.

Appearance: As mentioned, Sunder is now a grotesque and twisted version of Ironclad. Nodes and lumps that would be described as "cancerous" in appearance, if not for their steel state are dappled over his body. His face is distorted, asymmetrical and some expressions are painful for him to form. Those features that mark him as a Perseid are marred or gone, overwhelmed by the metal globs and smoothness. What remains of his left hand is an angular shaped fusion.

Sunder tends to go topless, as most cloth just rips and tears on his torso anyways. He wears the bottom half of a Perseid soldier's uniform along with reinforced boots.

These are very fine character concepts, Hermit. Well developed backgrounds and personalities. I like how you've defined the likely reactions to Ironclad by each of them - good potential for intragroup conflicts after they arrive on Earth. I look forward to the rest of the team.

Couple of clarifying questions: have I got it right that Star Drinker's "Release" attack is a 2d6 EB normally, plus a 6d6 EB with the addition of his wristbands? If so, how are the Absorbed points from his "Energy Siphon" distributed? And how do they add if he loses the wristbands?

As for Sunder, because his +3d6 HA is Penetrating but the rest of his Strength isn't, he'll only be able to do a maximum of 6d6 Penetrating damage total when he uses it, no matter how much more Strength he can bring to bear (according to the rules for Advantaged HA on FREd p. 272). Was that your intention?

wow, someone replied ;)

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

These are very fine character concepts, Hermit. Well developed backgrounds and personalities. I like how you've defined the likely reactions to Ironclad by each of them - good potential for intragroup conflicts after they arrive on Earth. I look forward to the rest of the team.

Thank you kindly, You and the other posters deserve much of the credit for letting me pick your brains.

Couple of clarifying questions: have I got it right that Star Drinker's "Release" attack is a 2d6 EB normally, plus a 6d6 EB with the addition of his wristbands? If so, how are the Absorbed points from his "Energy Siphon" distributed? And how do they add if he loses the wristbands?

Well, hopefully I've got it compatible with the rules, but essentially Star Drinker's Energy Blast is a total of 8d6 before adding anything from absorbtion, it just so happens that the greater portion of it relies on the focus.

As the Absorption is not bought with the OIF limitation, I would add whatever gains it makes to the 2d6, THEN tack on what the focus adds again (2d6 +Xdice absorbed +6d6... in that order). This means that with the absorbtion maxed out, Star Drinker will have a 15d6 Energy Blast. Some GMs might think that's too highpowered, but that's easy enough to fix.

As for Sunder, because his +3d6 HA is Penetrating but the rest of his Strength isn't, he'll only be able to do a maximum of 6d6 Penetrating damage total when he uses it, no matter how much more Strength he can bring to bear (according to the rules for Advantaged HA on FREd p. 272). Was that your intention?

Well, at the time my thought was that it just seemed neat. :) I figured that, unless you had hardened defenses, everytime Sunder Hit, He'd do at least 6 stun, even if (by some miracle) the 15d6 total dice didn't beat the defenses of his target. Of course, if it does more than six over the defenses, the point would be moot.

EDIT: If that is somehow against the rules, just remove the Penetrating advantage, and use the five points elsewhere. Perhaps PS: Dorvalan Interpretive Dance 15- :D

Re: wow, someone replied ;)

Originally posted by Hermit

Well, at the time my thought was that it just seemed neat. :) I figured that, unless you had hardened defenses, everytime Sunder Hit, He'd do at least 6 stun, even if (by some miracle) the 15d6 total dice didn't beat the defenses of his target. Of course, if it does more than six over the defenses, the point would be moot.

Ah, well, that's my point. Unless I'm misreading the rules I cited above, that Hand To Hand Attack will only do a maximum of 6d6 Penetrating damage when used - you will never get 15d6 total dice, Penetrating or otherwise, unless you buy Penetrating for the character's Strength as well.

Ah, well, that's my point. Unless I'm misreading the rules I cited above, that Hand To Hand Attack will only do a maximum of 6d6 Penetrating damage when used - you will never get 15d6 total dice, Penetrating or otherwise, unless you buy Penetrating for the character's Strength as well.

Curses. I will have to back and alter him a bit then. Thanks for the heads' up.

Mmm, dance aside, where to put five points...?

Why not make it a straight +4d6 HA at 0 END? Costs exactly the same. :)

You and your logic. :P

Done, and thanks.

Naturally, some GMs may think a 16d6 strike is excessive, but there's no reason they couldn't whittle it down for their own uses.

Or go for the dance after all, artistic critters those Perseid.

I wonder whether a 16d6 Strike for Sunder is really excessive compared to Ironclad's Find Weakness ability with his own 12d6 Strength Strike. Against an opponent without Lack of Weakness that latter attack is potentially even more damaging. Ironclad also has a CV one greater than Sunder; just on the basis of their respective threat to an opponent I think they compare rather well.

Mind you, since Sunder does have Lack of Weakness Ironclad would be at a disadvantage against him. Which, given the plot purpose of this "extraction team," is probably a good thing. :)