'17-18 NBA Thread

Enforcer84

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

...and now we have the Golden State Warriors vs. the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals.

For the fourth consecutive year.

8 hours ago, Pariah said:

Wake me up in time for football season.

You see monotony. I see a rivalry for the ages the likes of which we may never see again.

Americans are weird. We crave greatness, yet resent it when greatness appears. We mistake arrogance for greatness at times. But I don't see Lebron or Curry as arrogant. For a man who is the greatest athlete in the world, Lebron is proud but surprisingly calm, not living for his own ego. These are two players who can literally carry a team on their backs. We have not seen the likes of this rivalry since Magic vs. Bird in the 1980s.

I'm looking forward to this series. If the Cavs pull off the upset, it will be the capstone of Lebron's legacy in Cleveland. If the Warriors win, it will cement their place as one of the great dynasties in the history of American sports.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

You see monotony. I see a rivalry for the ages the likes of which we may never see again.

Americans are weird. We crave greatness, yet resent it when greatness appears. We mistake arrogance for greatness at times. But I don't see Lebron or Curry as arrogant. For a man who is the greatest athlete in the world, Lebron is proud but surprisingly calm, not living for his own ego. These are two players who can literally carry a team on their backs. We have not seen the likes of this rivalry since Magic vs. Bird in the 1980s.

I'm looking forward to this series. If the Cavs pull off the upset, it will be the capstone of Lebron's legacy in Cleveland. If the Warriors win, it will cement their place as one of the great dynasties in the history of American sports.

I can see that point. I suppose, if I cared more about basketball, I'd even agree with it. Still, I just can't get excited about this series the way I got excited about Lakers-Celtics back in the 80s. To me, those guys--Bird, Magic, Kareem, etc.--were bigger than life. These guys? Meh. I'm not sure why.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I can see that point. I suppose, if I cared more about basketball, I'd even agree with it. Still, I just can't get excited about this series the way I got excited about Lakers-Celtics back in the 80s. To me, those guys--Bird, Magic, Kareem, etc.--were bigger than life. These guys? Meh. I'm not sure why.

It's not that hard. You're older now than you were then. It's harder to feel as strongly about entertainment  vs  other things that matter such as  your job or the political situation. I used to live or die with my favorite teams but now I'm over it one way or another after a couple of days.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Well, I was a kid in the 1980s.  The guys now are younger than me (even Vince Carter, I think).

But, even the Lakers/Celtics weren't every year.  Rockets, Pistons, 76ers all got a shot at the end at one time or another.  (probably forgot a couple of other teams, particularly in the Pacific).

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

Don't forget one of my favorites of all-time: Robert Parish

15 hours ago, Pariah said:

Ooh, the Bad Boy Pistons. Yeah, those guys are definitely worth a mention.

When Dennis Rodman was "the nice guy"  (ok, not really).

I do have to admit watching Laimbeer back then, I both loved and hated watching him at the same time.

1983 76ers were the first team of the non-Laker/Celtic 1980s teams to come to mind.  Moses Malone was a god that year.

Lebron may or may not have helped his cause by playing the last three games of the Finals with a broken hand, inflicted in an uncharacteristic outburst when he punched the locker room whiteboard in frustration.

He had a lot of reason to be frustrated and angry -- he'd scored 51 points only to have a teammate dribble out the clock in the Warriors defensive zone in a tie game (evidently J.R. Smith thought the Cavs were ahead by one). I don't blame him for being upset, but he usually doesn't get that badly out of control.

Even with the injury he tried to carry the Cavs back and his statistical results were more than respectable. But the rest of the team was clearly deflated and vulnerable. They didn't really stand a chance, and the Warriors closed them out with ruthless efficiency -- culminating in one of the worst deciding-game blowouts in recent memory.

Now Lebron has to rehab his hand in addition to weighing out his options in free agency. He'll still be in high demand, as he always is. I don't think teams like the Lakers would think twice about signing him.

One final note: trading Kyrie Irving to Boston can now be firmly ensconces as one of the worst bonehead moves every made by an NBA general manager. because of it, the Cavs had to rebuild their entire team almost form scratch and the Celtics were able to add a generational talent. 

9 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Well, he did come from the land of the ice and snow (ok, Spokane)....

Well, embarrassingly, I had no idea what Marcus was talking about, but that line jogged my memory.  (and now I will have that song stuck in my head for 2 days, dammit)

Thinking about James, of the 3 teams that seemed most talked about (Phi, Hou, Lakers)

Philadelphia-might not be a good fit, Ben Simmons is LeBron without a jump shot, and it seems their biggest needs might be a couple of guards who can shoot and space out the defense.

Houston-Well, there were questions whether Harden and Paul could co-exist and both get enough touches, and another like guy, and the touches get claustrophobic. 

Lakers- would be the best fit, but probably the least likely he could propel immediately to title contention, and would he want to help build up a team at his age?  I believe they have cap space on their side, if they can get enough of that to pull in him and another player (like George?) that might makes things interesting.