2018 Baseball Thread (MLB and whatever)

Cancer

Dear Baseball TV Announcers,

Since, we don't have pitches for intentional walks anymore, could you be nice to take a break from your inane drivel, to kindly take note of it, because I am getting (bleeping) tired of looking at the side of screen and seeing one more blip on the marker showing how many is on base than I thought.

If I kept score at home, I'd lose my damn mind.

9 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

The Mets announcers run a little graphic of a wizard and call it the Abra Kadabra walk.  Because its asinine and deserves mockery.

Heh, I don't care what they do to tell me.  I generally have to watch mostly Bal/Was telecast, and unless it is Machado or Harper (maybe) they don't make much mention of it.  I guess it doesn't effect much but barring having had to go pee, I don't like trying to figure out how there is a redblip on 1B.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 1970s and 80s when NBC had the baseball game of the week, I used to watch the All-Star Game religiously, as it was guaranteed to be the only time all year I'd see a Seattle Mariner on TV.

OK, that is slightly too harsh.  There was a Seattle-Boston game on NBC once.  They also scheduled a Seattle-Toronto game a few years later but the game was rained out.

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

All star break coming up, my favorite is the old timers game and the softball tourney, I just don't even care about the actual all star game.  Even back before interleague when it was kind of fresh seeing players that don't ordinarily meet up it wasn't very interesting to me.

Yeah, just 3 (now 4) days without real baseball to me.  Also I intentionally avoid it ever since Selig decided it mattered (a decision he obviously made because he got butthurt it ended in a tie in his hometown)

Commissioner Rob Manfred 'hopes' MLB expands to 32 teams, names potential markets

From the article:

"We have a real list of cities that I think are not only interested in having baseball, but are viable in terms of baseball — places like Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville in the United States, certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada," Manfred said. "We think there's places in Mexico we could go over the long haul."

On 7/14/2018 at 7:30 PM, Badger said:

Yeah, just 3 (now 4) days without real baseball to me.  Also I intentionally avoid it ever since Selig decided it mattered (a decision he obviously made because he got butthurt it ended in a tie in his hometown)

That's probably the only good thing Manfred has done, to get rid of that "this time it counts" nonsense.  It's an exhibition game, it shouldn't count for anything.  OTOH I think it should be treated less like an exhibition in that I'd like to see the lineups handled like a regular game, meaning more concern for winning and less concern for getting everybody into the game.

As far as expansion goes, I'd rather see them contract.  Get back to an odd number of teams so we can do away with interleague play during the season.  That's part of what made the All-Star Game so great in the past, it pitted players against each other who normally would never play on the same field.  The World Series has lost a bit of its luster for the same reason.

I thought it was interesting how the history of the all star game worked out: exactly the same number of wins by NL and AL, exactly the same number of runs scored, almost exactly the same batting average overall.  The AL has been on a tear lately winning a lot but the NL won for a long time in the past; from 1963 til 1987, the AL won exactly 3 all star games.

Of course the AL won with a couple runs edge this time so they broke the tie :)

Heh, yeah I have to admit I hate watching pitchers bat.  And I do think the "more required managing" for NL managers is vastly overrated.  The moves aren't complicated (except to Dusty Baker. and maybe Cancer's students).  I do think it is inevitable, because of the bloated bullpens.  You just cant afford to have a bench anymore.   With 13 pitchers your bench to begin with will be 4 in the NL, and 3 in the AL, but it is actually worse in the NL because you can count on 2 automatically being used thanks to the pitcher spot.  So, you cant afford to have the Manny Motas and Smokey Burgesses on your bench anymore, which the possibility of those types usage actually make the pitcher batting interesting.

I'd love to see pitching staff get down to 11 (12 in certain cases like when the bullpens get overextended during a short time at certain times in the season).  Not gonna happen, though.  Otherwise, I wouldn't care if they kept their ways.

If they want to the Giants can always DH Bumgarner on his days off.  :lol:

Note: And you don't want me to get started on batting the pitcher 8th  (barring the would be #8 hitter, otherwise is Billy Hamilton, because I find it a waste to bat a speedster in front of the pitcher).

Saw a headline on ESPN this morning about how getting Machado makes the Dodges the "NL team to beat".  Last I looked LA had a lot more holes to fill than SS.  Between other injuries and a few underperformers like Bellinger they need more help than Manny's going to bring them.

3 hours ago, Armory said:

Saw a headline on ESPN this morning about how getting Machado makes the Dodges the "NL team to beat".  Last I looked LA had a lot more holes to fill than SS.  Between other injuries and a few underperformers like Bellinger they need more help than Manny's going to bring them.

My brother, who hates the Dodgers, has a theory on them. He really thinks MLB needs to look at their minors and stuff. He finds it funny that for 5 years or so straight, the Dodgers have had a rookie come up, tear up the league (see Puig, Pederson, Seager, Bellinger and now Taylor) for half a season and then fall off a cliff. His conspiracy is that is when MLB starts random drug testing new players, so he wonders if something is going on with them.

He finds it funny that for 5 years or so straight, the Dodgers have had a rookie come up, tear up the league (see Puig, Pederson, Seager, Bellinger and now Taylor) for half a season and then fall off a cliff.

Strangely that's been true back into the 90s.  They had five years in a row with rookies of the year:

1992    Eric Karros 
1993    Mike Piazza
1994    Raúl Mondesí
1995    Hideo Nomo
1996    Todd Hollandsworth 

A bunch of those sort of disappeared the next year.

But its not like Seager and Bellinger are bad this year, I mean you can't condemn their stats on injuries

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

He finds it funny that for 5 years or so straight, the Dodgers have had a rookie come up, tear up the league (see Puig, Pederson, Seager, Bellinger and now Taylor) for half a season and then fall off a cliff.

Strangely that's been true back into the 90s.  They had five years in a row with rookies of the year:

1993    Eric Karros 
1993    Mike Piazza
1994    Raúl Mondesí
1995    Hideo Nomo
1996    Todd Hollandsworth 

A bunch of those sort of disappeared the next year.

But its not like Seager and Bellinger are bad this year, I mean you can't condemn their stats on injuries

Well, I don't count Nomo, as he was basically that years version of Ohtani, Ichiro etc. Players who aren't really rookies, but were stars in the Japanese league. Karros was servicable as a first baseman for a very long career. Mondesi did kind of fade out. Hollandsworth shouldnt have been ROY. Piazza was a great hitter, but truth was, he was a deplorable catcher for most of his career and rumors of steroids followed him and still do. My brother pointed out, if Piazza (and I think Piazza is a very classy guy and has a historic moment in baseball, the 911 HR) had been a first baseman, at that time, he would have just been a upper half hitter (think about it - Frank Thomas, Mark Mcguire, Mo Vaugn, Kruk, Fielder).

15 hours ago, Armory said:

Yeah, for the future I am not crazy about Machado as a SS.  He isn't bad, (somewhat rusty from not playing it much for a few seasons), but the man is legendary defensive 3B.  Like Top 5 of all time defense.  While it might sound counter-intuitive, I think he could help his cause after this year by being willing to go back to 3B.

6 hours ago, slikmar said:

Well, I don't count Nomo, as he was basically that years version of Ohtani, Ichiro etc. Players who aren't really rookies, but were stars in the Japanese league. Karros was servicable as a first baseman for a very long career. Mondesi did kind of fade out. Hollandsworth shouldnt have been ROY. Piazza was a great hitter, but truth was, he was a deplorable catcher for most of his career and rumors of steroids followed him and still do. My brother pointed out, if Piazza (and I think Piazza is a very classy guy and has a historic moment in baseball, the 911 HR) had been a first baseman, at that time, he would have just been a upper half hitter (think about it - Frank Thomas, Mark Mcguire, Mo Vaugn, Kruk, Fielder).

He did play 1B for a year, and it was disastrous. He was Frank Thomas bad(and I saw Frank Thomas drop a chest-high throw one time)

12 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

San Diego has started dumping players.  That team needs a new front office; they've been "rebuilding" for years and get worse every year.  By now they should be a pretty solid team again.

They have players worthy of trading?  (Well, I think they do have some decent pitchers)

11 hours ago, slikmar said:

My brother, who hates the Dodgers, has a theory on them. He really thinks MLB needs to look at their minors and stuff. He finds it funny that for 5 years or so straight, the Dodgers have had a rookie come up, tear up the league (see Puig, Pederson, Seager, Bellinger and now Taylor) for half a season and then fall off a cliff. His conspiracy is that is when MLB starts random drug testing new players, so he wonders if something is going on with them.

Hmm, with Puig, I think his main problem is having the baseball IQ of an amoeba.