Artifacts/gadgets with bestowed effects that depend on worn location.

Ragitsu

My example is a ring that grants different benefits depending on the finger its worn on. Perhaps it grants Telekinesis if placed on your index finger, a bonus to PRE (Opposite sex/gender only) if worn on the ring finger, a +10 bonus to your lowest attribute if slipped onto your pinky, and so on. In one of the many Drizzt Do'urden novels, the main protagonist comes across these bracers of quickness that grant the wearer increased DEX/OCV with their arms (albeit to the extent that they cause attacks to become rapidly uncoordinated if you haven't acclimated yourself to the difference in speed) or an enhancement to ground movement if adapted for their legs. How would one go about representing an OIF/OAF item that works in a similar fashion?

Drizzt's bracers have the same effect in both locations: They speed up the limb. He's just wearing the item in an unconventional way.

Edit: Multipower seems the best bet for the ring described, as noted by eepjr24. I would have to look at the MP rules, but I don't think much would be required if the point totals of the powers precluded using two slots at once. Just a fixed slot multi should work, perhaps with a limitation on the whole MP that the slots take extra time to change. I think swapping a ring would take about a half phase. Or you could just ignore that, since the character probably swaps the ring all the time and could be quite fast at it.

Edit 2: You might also want to look at Unified Power, depending on the FX of the ring.

Regarding the part about which finger has which power: Nothing I can see there calls for a rules mechanic. The ring isn't really that different than say an attack MP for a power armor character who has wrist blasters, shoulder rockets and a chest beam. Those powers are all tied to location, but that's all SFX. The only mechanic here is possibly time to switch slots since the ring has to move finger to finger.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Regarding the part about which finger has which power: Nothing I can see there calls for a rules mechanic. The ring isn't really that different than say an attack MP for a power armor character who has wrist blasters, shoulder rockets and a chest beam. Those powers are all tied to location, but that's all SFX. The only mechanic here is possibly time to switch slots since the ring has to move finger to finger.

One minor non-SFX item would be if an opponent knew the effects tied to each ring position they might be able to predict possible next moves. Of course, that works both ways, the player could show up one day wearing 6 rings that all look the same. =P

The only reason I mentioned lockout is in case there are one or more powers with AP more than twice that of other powers, since then the pool would have enough to allocate to two powers at once and since this is not possible, the lockout limitation would apply.

- E

Yeah, functionally it's very similar to Ultra Boy from Legion of Super Heroes, only adding the effect of changing fingers to change powers.

Unfortunately, the only writeups I could find right off hand are likely fifth edition:

https://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/10236-legion-of-super-heroes-write-ups-for-champions/

• 2 weeks later...