So, this Dc Universe thing...

pinecone

For those who aren't familiar with the product https://www.dcuniverse.com/coming-soon/

Basically it is anytime access to DC movies and old TV series plus access to a limited selection of their back issue comic books (their choice of which ones). In addition, they're starting up 4-5 new TV series which are only available on their service (for now).

The cost is $75.99 for 12 months. But if you sign up now before the service goes live, you get an extra 3 months free.

Personally I think the Superman movies stank and the couple of good Batman movies I've seen a dozen times. I've got Green Lantern and the new DCU movies on my DVR. So getting movie access is meaningless for me.

I don't really have any use for their old TV series. The ones which weren't animated weren't very good. I'm not sure if the service has the DC series from the WB network since none of them were shown in the advertisement trailer. But I would assume that WB has the resale rights to those at least for a few more years. I'd like to see the Justice League and Young Justice series again. But honestly, those are available (stolen) online anytime I feel like helping some website break the law.

A limited number of back issue comics would be interesting except that most of those series are available (stolen) online already. And available as the complete series rather than whatever few that DC might want to let me see. I would assume that their intent is to get you hooked on a storyline then cut you off at the end and show you instructions on how you can pay more money to purchase the additional issues online.

The new content series is vaguely interesting. The third season of Young Justice is something which should have happened long ago.

The Titans series (a renamed Teen Titans) looks terrible at first glance of the trailers which DC has released in various places. Starfire in particular looks badly done both in makeup and character.

Other series are Doom Patrol (which has intriguing possibilities but I haven't seen any trailers), Harley Quinn (maybe okay), and Swamp Thing (very little interest on my part).

So basically it's $7 a month (minimum) for not very much that interests me. And the price goes up from there if I don't buy the service a year at a time.

If I still had a steady income, I'd be more interested. But I could pay not very much more per month, get into World of Warcraft again, and have hours of original entertainment every day.

If you are the kind of person who already goes to the movies a couple of times a month and who already buys a lot of premium cable channels, the additional cost to get the DC Universe package as well isn't all that much extra.

I'm actively opposed to things like this.  I think it's a horrible value and I won't go for any of these single-provider streaming services.  I'm actively rooting for them to all fail.

The way I see it, I already have most of what this service would offer.  I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and each of those services offers me hundreds (maybe thousands) of different movies and TV shows.  I can almost always find something I'd like to watch.  If this DC Universe thing doesn't exist, then I can watch most of what they're offering on either Netflix or Prime.  I can do that already.  So what are they offering that is new that I can't watch right now without paying for their service?

I know they're planning on removing their shows and movies from these other streaming services, but that just means they're taking away value from me that I've already got, to try to promote their own service.  I don't like that, and so I won't support it.  Even if it wasn't a bad value, I wouldn't support it because I don't want to encourage other companies to do the same thing.  It's part of why I won't get CBS All Access -- I'm not going to be goaded into getting it just for a show they'd have put on Netflix otherwise.

And finally, I just don't think they've got enough content for me to want to pay just for their stuff.  It's not a very good deal.  I don't even think Disney's service is going to be worth it to me.  They don't have enough stuff for me to want to see each and every month.  When it's October and I want to see scary movies, what Disney films will I watch?  You can only watch the Legend of Sleepy Hollow cartoon so many times.  I think these specialty services have very limited appeal, and a very limited library.

22 minutes ago, massey said:

I'm actively opposed to things like this.  I think it's a horrible value and I won't go for any of these single-provider streaming services.  I'm actively rooting for them to all fail.

The way I see it, I already have most of what this service would offer.  I have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and each of those services offers me hundreds (maybe thousands) of different movies and TV shows.  I can almost always find something I'd like to watch.  If this DC Universe thing doesn't exist, then I can watch most of what they're offering on either Netflix or Prime.  I can do that already.  So what are they offering that is new that I can't watch right now without paying for their service?

I know they're planning on removing their shows and movies from these other streaming services, but that just means they're taking away value from me that I've already got, to try to promote their own service.  I don't like that, and so I won't support it.  Even if it wasn't a bad value, I wouldn't support it because I don't want to encourage other companies to do the same thing.  It's part of why I won't get CBS All Access -- I'm not going to be goaded into getting it just for a show they'd have put on Netflix otherwise.

And finally, I just don't think they've got enough content for me to want to pay just for their stuff.  It's not a very good deal.  I don't even think Disney's service is going to be worth it to me.  They don't have enough stuff for me to want to see each and every month.  When it's October and I want to see scary movies, what Disney films will I watch?  You can only watch the Legend of Sleepy Hollow cartoon so many times.  I think these specialty services have very limited appeal, and a very limited library.

That sums up my feelings pretty well. When all these different companies each start offering their own service, I'm going to be forced to deal with the hassle of keeping track of my subscriptions to a dozen companies or more. It'll be like dealing with a dozen cable companies and having to hassle with one or another of them every month.

Frankly, I'm not interested at all in doing that. I'm opting out of all of them. My best option is to hope that they all fail miserably in order to keep my entertainment from fragmenting into so many different pieces that it is difficult (and much more expensive) to consume.

If they want me to watch Star Trek, for example, they need to put it on TV where it belongs or they need to spend $200 million to make a movie. I'm not going to pay to watch services regardless of whether it is CBS All Access, DC Universe, Disney, etc.