Random SF Links

tkdguy

• 3 weeks later...

I've been surfing the Orion's Arm web project lately. Rather fascinating -- a hard sci-fi space opera setting, set about 10.000 years in the future. The Singularity has come and gone -- and done the same about five times over. Humanity's descendants -- both genetically and culturally -- are mostly ruled over by these S6 archailects who are almost at Clarkeian levels of technology.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not a link, but I can't see a better place for it.

The Exoplanet Handbook (2nd edition) by Michael Perryman from Cambridge U Press, (c) 2018, ISBN 978-1-108-41977-2.  Just over 950 pages of tiny print making a monumental, massive heavy-duty technical reference book at the apex of that genre's glory.  I think around $100?  $120? from the publisher (I bought mine at a steep discount at a scientific meeting early this month).  The last 185 pages are references.  The last 62 before that are a list of exoplanet systems, sorted by detection type, with comments that range from five words of reference to more than half a page.  Though like any print book it will go out of date in terms of the data in it, it is graduate-level in discussions of detection techniques (chapters 2 through 7), host stars, brown dwarfs and free-floating planets, formation theory and observations, interior and atmosphere modeling, and our Solar System through the same considerations.  Then two short appendices before the exoplanet list already mentioned.

For the professionals and their libraries; for that price it's worth trying to wheedle your library into getting a copy.  It'll be a difficult read, but hard-core science (and sci-fi) geeks will have lots of nuggets they can glean from this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...