tkdguy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, tkdguy said:

How well does The Expanse stand up to scientific accuracy? Ask an astrophysicist!

I found that astrophysicists tend to be way to forgiving of scientific mistakes for any movie or show that is more accurate than Star Wars. I, OTOH, think the opposite. While The Expanse gets some stuff right, the stuff that it gets wrong ends up being believed by viewers who just assume that everything shown is accurate. 

14 hours ago, Hedgehobbit said:

I found that astrophysicists tend to be way to forgiving of scientific mistakes for any movie or show that is more accurate than Star Wars. I, OTOH, think the opposite. While The Expanse gets some stuff right, the stuff that it gets wrong ends up being believed by viewers who just assume that everything shown is accurate. 

Perhaps Dr. Becky should watch more episodes. She admitted she doesn't have much exposure to it, so maybe she can find where the show gets it wrong and comment on those. That said, some leeway needs to be given in order to make the show watchable for the general public. The Expanse comes closest to my hard SF campaign, and I had to cut a few corners just to make the game playable.

As for Star Wars, I don't even worry about scientific accuracy, because I know the production crew isn't even trying. I tend to agree with the folks who consider it more properly space fantasy rather than science fiction.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...