Question to the Australians--

Duke Bushido

It's difficult but not impossible to legally buy a handgun here. You have to show need (which can be joining a shooting club) and jump through a lot of bureaucratic hoops and background checks. That said, it's a lot easier to get a rifle, especially a bolt-action or lever action. Semi-autos are hard.

3 hours ago, Sundog said:

It's difficult but not impossible to legally buy a handgun here. You have to show need (which can be joining a shooting club) and jump through a lot of bureaucratic hoops and background checks. That said, it's a lot easier to get a rifle, especially a bolt-action or lever action. Semi-autos are hard. 

Considering that part of the Education Sytem runs over the Radio (because some children just live that remote), it is udnerstandable that Australians in some parts of the country need a high degree of Autonomy.

I still remember a tidbit where some households used washing machines as mailboxes. Because they needed to drive to the next road and needed the capacity to store weeks worth of mail.

Owning a firearm because the police would need a hour to reach you just makes sense. And Australian gun laws do seem "common sense".

16 hours ago, Christopher said:

Owning a firearm because the police would need a hour to reach you just makes sense. And Australian gun laws do seem "common sense".

Irrelevant to handguns though.

Sundog's answer is correct.

Of course, illegal weapons exist too.

The latter seem to be rarely used to commit crimes (aside from actually existing). Mostly they are essentially collectors' items, although organized crime groups and their subsidiary entreprises often have large stockpiles.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

It was driving me nuts, as I had been under the impression that handguns were outright illegal in Australia, and the character that had the gun was clearly not law enforcement.  Later there were some military or swat types with handguns; that made much more sense.

Thanks again.

Duke

11 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Follow up question!

If an Australian has a handgun as a member of a shooting club, does the gun need to be stored at the club, or may they keep it at home?

At home, in a proper gun safe, as far as I can tell.

There are slight variations in gun laws between the various states and territories.

2 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

OK, second follow up questions: Do Aussie shooters have to put their sights on the bottom of the barrel of the gun, since you all are hanging upside down off the bottom of the Earth? :D

In this case, the bottom of the barrel of the gun is what would be the top of the barrel of the gun if everything wasn't upside down. so, yes. ?

12 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

It was driving me nuts, as I had been under the impression that handguns were outright illegal in Australia, and the character that had the gun was clearly not law enforcement.  Later there were some military or swat types with handguns; that made much more sense.

11 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

If an Australian has a handgun as a member of a shooting club, does the gun need to be stored at the club, or may they keep it at home?

You are allowed to keep guns at home in Britain and Germany. Both countries known for pretty strict gun laws.

Now China is a country with really strict gun laws. For obvious reasons.