Origins 2019

grandmastergm

Cereal Killers: Night of the Living Crunch

This is the first time in a while that we've had nine players, so every character got to be a part of the action.

28 bowls later... The dead are rising, and want to eat your grains. America's favorite breakfast cereal icons star in this grim and gritty urban adventure.

• Cap'n (James Tiberius) Crunch is a mighty sailin' man; an experience seaman leader.
  • Tony the Tiger is the fitness nut (or flake) of the group, bringing out the tiger in everyone.
  • Toucan Sam the cynical detective noir is suspected of ecoterrorism -- the nose knows.
  • Sugar Bear brings peace, jazz, and cereal to children of the world.
  • Trix Rabbit is the driven (manic?) experimental field engineer / gadgeteer.
  • Lucky the Leprechaun is the mystic master of the occult arts -- the Cereal Supreme.
  • Sonny the Cocoa Puffs Cuckoo is the chocoholic street smart pharma hustler who can go nutso with extreme prejudice.
  • Count Chocula feeds upon chocolate by night, and sleeps in a large cereal box by day.
  • Quisp is studying the Earth, visiting from his native Quisp Continuum.

Breakfast is the most important game of the day.

62208419_10211421111683977_9147286648256

On 6/13/2019 at 3:31 AM, mattingly said:

Monster Hunter All-Stars

Hellboy, Ghost Rider, “Evil Dead” Ash, Hermione Granger, and Selene (Underworld) faced off against Lo Pan, the Kurgen, Mothman, Mr. Tumnus, and the Scorpion King.

• Ash bisected Mr. Tumnus, after gauntlet-punching his flute down his gullet.
  • Hellboy punched out Mothman, who was eating his demonic brain.
  • Ghost Rider soul-gazed Lo Pan with a penance stare.
  • Hermione paralyzed the Scorpion King.
  • Selene used Kurgen’s own sword to cut off his head and steal his Quickening.

Lo Pan and Mothman managed to escape, but the rare magical books were protected.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:31 AM, mattingly said:

I also shot Lo Pan full of ghost holes!

23 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Mr Tumnus, a bad guy? say it ain't so!

18 hours ago, mattingly said:

@Enforcer84 was there. He can testify!

Tumnus tried to control the party with his pan flute. After an Unsuccessful Leviosa and Punch the Flute thtrough his throat, he made the mistake of trying to call a truce with Ash.

Well my back has been limiting my heading over to the convention center more than I'd like. Been spending a lot of time reading in the hotel. Ran into Dave and got into his game and then saw Jason and Tina in the dealer room. 

I'd like to get to see a few more HEROES if possible. What's everyone's Saturday looking like?

I'll try to head over before noon. So maybe stop by grandmastergm's Kazei 5 game and say hello.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:26 PM, grandmastergm said:

Hello,

I managed to get my games scheduled at Origins this year.  I am not a part of a group, but I will be running a few HERO games at Origins this year.   Here is my schedule:

A Life Less Ordinary (HERO System, Anime HERO): Some students in Japan acquire great powers and must stop a force of terrifying and insidious evil from consuming their college campus.  RPG. 4-6 Players.  Wednesday, June 12th from 2 pm - 6 pm.

Revelations 1001 (HERO System, Fantasy HERO):  The End Times of Book of Revelation are literally coming true in 1001 A.D.  Six heroes have been gathered by the forces of light, some of them far more reluctantly than others, to gather sacred artifacts that will help defeat the Anti-Christ and his forces. They must brave terrible monsters and great evil to acquire them, and then shall face the Anti-Christ and his army on the plains of Megiddo. This game is intended to be an entertaining and thought-provoking game, and every effort has been made to treat faith with the utmost respect, and no offense is intended towards anyone's individual beliefs. RPG. 4-6 Players.  Wednesday, June 12th from 7 pm - 11 pm.

Legacies (HERO System, Champions):  You are descended from the superheroes that won World War II. Can you uncover the mystery behind their disappearance?  Could it be the work of their old nemeses? RPG. 4-6 Players.  Thursday, June 13th from 7 pm - 11 pm.

The Temple of the Three Valleys (HERO System, Martial Arts HERO): Set in late-16th century China, a group of heroes from all over the world have come to a village to find a long-lost temple that contains the secrets of martial arts and great riches.  They must also use their martial arts skill and superhuman wu shu abilities to defeat a ferocious tyrant and his minions. RPG. 4-6 Players.  Friday, June 14th from 10 am - 2 pm.

Kazei 5: Juke Joint Jezebel (HERO System, Kazei 5): Set in the anime cyberpunk world created by Susano/Michael Surbrook, a group of mercenaries find themselves in over their heads when they instigate break-in at a corporate facility.  RPG. 4-6 Players.  Saturday, June 15th from 10 am - 2 pm.

1) A Life Less Ordinary ended with the party breaking up after defeating the malevolent student council.  Magical Girl Callisto didn't care much for the bloodthirstiness of the other PCs and left them to fight the demon behind the student council.

2) Revelations 1001 ended with the PCs defeating the Anti-Christ and then speaking with the resurrected messiah that humanity deserved another millennia before the last judgement.  Their wish was granted and things returned back to normal 999 A.D.

3) Legacies ended with the new Freedom Legion defeating Baron Von Blackreich and his returned fascist supervillains (the old nemeses in the description), along with their New Reich and Murder Brigade allies.  

4) The Temple of the 3 Valleys ended with Feng Wu administering the deadly Dim Mak to his nemesis Minister Mao (the tyrant mentioned in the description) and becoming the new master of the Temple of the 3 Valleys.  Sanzo Sakai made sure that only he had the secrets of martial arts though, as he didn't entirely trust the other PCs with them.

5) Juke Joint Jezebel ended with the Black Company and their police cyborg frenemy Obriareus defeating the rogue AI ALEX with the assistance of Jinsei Corporation.  They ended up getting paid their standard fee from Gunkoku and their standard fee+bonuses+medical care+new battlesuits from Jinsei.

4 hours ago, grandmastergm said:

1) A Life Less Ordinary ended with the party breaking up after defeating the malevolent student council.  Magical Girl Callisto didn't care much for the bloodthirstiness of the other PCs and left them to fight the demon behind the student council.

In my defense -- THEY WERE MURDER-HOBOES!

On 6/4/2019 at 5:48 PM, mattingly said:

Meep on the Borderland, HERO muppet fantasy adventure

Spideys on Infinite Earths, Marvel FASERIP Spider-Verse characters that weren't in the movie like Lady Spider, Supaidaman, Kraven the Spider, and Spider-Punk.

Monster Hunter All-Stars, Dresden Files RPG starring Hellboy, Constantine, Venkman, Hermoine, and others

Cereal Killers, HERO breakfast icons fight monsters

All my game write-ups are online now.

https://davemattingly.net/2019/06/11/origins/

19 hours ago, mattingly said:

All my game write-ups are online now.

https://davemattingly.net/2019/06/11/origins/

The Amorphous Blob guys ran a Toon adventure called Cereal Killers as well. I was in that one, and played Snap, Crackle & Pop, a sort of three-headed hero. It was truly a ton of fun. I hope yours worked out as well.

3 minutes ago, mattingly said:

Whaaat? Man, I was across the hall from them, and didn't even know about that.

Yup, and the main reason I didn't make it to your Cereal Killers session was because I was in the other one at the same time! I really regret not seeing your costume or your cereal boxes. Truly brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, Brian Stanfield said:

Yup, and the main reason I didn't make it to your Cereal Killers session was because I was in the other one at the same time! I really regret not seeing your costume or your cereal boxes. Truly brilliant!

I did see his costume and the PC cereal boxes.  They were amazing!  I was playing Call of Cthulu: Sorrows in Tsavo, which was an adaptation of the Ghost and the Darkness (the killer lions of Kenya) but with a CoC twist.

1 hour ago, grandmastergm said:

I did see his costume and the PC cereal boxes.  They were amazing!  I was playing Call of Cthulu: Sorrows in Tsavo, which was an adaptation of the Ghost and the Darkness (the killer lions of Kenya) but with a CoC twist.

What a great idea! I was thinking of using something like that in my Pulp HERO campaign.