D&D 5e conversions

Snick3

One way to simulate that 'leveling up' feel is to raise caps on OCV, DCV, and/or Active Points for abilities based on total Character Points.  Level 1 might be 150 Character points, then every 10 Character points the character 'goes up a level'.  You could also make some powers or advantages off-limits until a certain level, especially things like Autofire or Area Effect abilities on attack powers. 

Additionally, at each level, the GM can grant an additional skill or perk on top of regular experience (these may or may not be related to the character's 'class' depending on how closely you want to follow that concept).  That speeds up level advancement, but also helps round the characters out since most players aren't going to be spending points on a new professional or knowledge skill when they could be increasing their combat ability.

That is how I ran my last few games.  Instead of xp rewards at the end of a game session or a series, I'd let them store up to about 10 points, and hand them out in lumps.  There were limits: you could only buy up a characteristic by a certain amount, you could only buy x active points of any one power, etc.  I like the idea of handing out a talent or something for each power up "level" as well for each character.

And then there were freebies: hanging out with the elf helped you learn elven, gain an AK for exploring an area, etc.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That is how I ran my last few games.  Instead of xp rewards at the end of a game session or a series, I'd let them store up to about 10 points, and hand them out in lumps.  There were limits: you could only buy up a characteristic by a certain amount, you could only buy x active points of any one power, etc.  I like the idea of handing out a talent or something for each power up "level" as well for each character.

And then there were freebies: hanging out with the elf helped you learn elven, gain an AK for exploring an area, etc.

And lets not forget the "Here's a new contact for you 8-.  Mark it on your sheet!" and the related "OK, everyone, you have a 1 point favour from [insert person],  Please mark it on your sheet!"

Allston played with holding back XP and giving mystery abilities in his Strike Force and other campaigns. That or points towards powers the character may not be aware of.

"Well Nightcrawler, carrying 3 people when you 'ported that time didn't seem too strenuous, maybe those danger room sessions are helping"

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I have found that many players prefer it that way, and the others didn't mind.  If the game is good enough, the xps are a bonus, not the goal.

No argument there and I agree 100%. I've found a lot of MR. Allston's ideas fit in campaigns, it's a shame people don't take a better look at a lot of his work.