GenCon 2019

Rapier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, grandmastergm said:

How did Gencon go?

It actually went crazy well. Some RL medical stuff came up and I didn't spend anywhere near as much time on the ShadowRun stuff as I would have liked. So I pretty much ran everything as stock from the ShadowPunk stuff. But that stuff was...not great. There were some pretty glaring holes and things that just did NOT work well. My AD&D conversions were awesome. The CoH ITF I could have run twice a day all weekend and still turned people away. I caught a bunch of stuff we missed in playtesting. I'm planning on making a bunch of changes and I'm continuing work on my AD&D Hero (titled Caverns and Big Lizards). I've also decided that when that is done I'll be converting ShadowRun. Once ShadowRun is done, a few people have expressed an interest in me tackling BattleTech using vehicle rules. So things went really well. I've already got notes and stuff for next year. I think next year I'll run the D series (the Drow modules) and possibly culminating in Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits. That's a lot of D&D conversions so I might scale that back a bit so I can squeeze in some ShadowRun playtesting.

I would also like to actually get to participate in a game or two next year! :)

On 8/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, zslane said:

I'm very interested in hearing what you did to adapt CoH for Champions. If I recall correctly, the ITF ends in a fight with Romulus and three AV-level Nictus essences that keep him constantly healed. How did that play out at GenCon?

It went very well and rather typically. The tank taunted Rommy to keep him busy and the rest of the team blasted the every living goo out of the nictii. Once they dropped them, Rommy was pretty easy to kill. Game was scheduled to run for 6 hours and we went for 6 hours and 5 minutes. I did pare back the encounters quite a bit. There first mission only had 2 groups of cimerorans in the caverns (with 1 seer). Up top there was no ambush. Second mission was again, a single encounter with one cyst. Third mission, there was 1 general, no computers, then Rommy and Requiem. Last mission was just the platform Rommy stands on. So one group of cimerorans and then rommy/nictii.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, Rapier said:

It went very well and rather typically. The tank taunted Rommy to keep him busy and the rest of the team blasted the every living goo out of the nictii. Once they dropped them, Rommy was pretty easy to kill. Game was scheduled to run for 6 hours and we went for 6 hours and 5 minutes. I did pare back the encounters quite a bit. There first mission only had 2 groups of cimerorans in the caverns (with 1 seer). Up top there was no ambush. Second mission was again, a single encounter with one cyst. Third mission, there was 1 general, no computers, then Rommy and Requiem. Last mission was just the platform Rommy stands on. So one group of cimerorans and then rommy/nictii.

Who are Rommy? Cimerorans? Requiem? Nictii?

On 8/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, grandmastergm said:

Who are Rommy? Cimerorans? Requiem? Nictii?

In City of Heroes, Rommy and Requiem are Archvillains (kind of the biggest of the big bads).

Cimerorans are citizens of Cimerora (a region patterned after ancient Greece). Nictii or the plural or Nictus, which are beings of dark energy.

Wish I would have checked this board/feed prior to going.  Played in the Champions Fantastic Four tournament run by Jon Cazares and Dan Wolf.  Great time and great game!

Didn't recall seeing any of the ones you described @Rapier but will definitely look for them next year.

Note:  This was my first GenCon and I intend to make it an annual tradition.  Such a blast!