Jump to content
Tywyll

Flight versus Throws

Recommended Posts

Are there any rules covering a flyer trying to recover from being thrown by a brick? As I understand it, throws are 'instant', so a brick could grab and throw a character their full range in one segment. But can a character with flight (or teleport) or some other movement power reduce or cancel any of the distance they are thrown before it gets bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also unaware of any RAW support outside a Trigger construct. 

I agree with this for much the same reasons as I wouldn't consider allowing a character thrown along the ground to use Leaping or Running to resist the throw.  The thrower is giving up the significant advantage of maintaining their hold and risking the target taking half the raw damage if they succeed on a Breakfall roll.  (Though "I skid to a halt using my flight!" is a good description for passing that Breakfall.)

Some obvious houserules would be that if the throwee has delayed or acts on this DEX, to permit them to spend a Half Move to reduce distance.  Perhaps requiring an opposed DEX roll against the thrower.  Perhaps also possible via Abort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Volume 6E2 Pages 115+ on Knockback:

 

A character with Flight may declare that he’s
using part of his Flight to root himself to a single
spot (or to remain at a specific location in mid-air,
if he’s already flying). For every 2m of Flight used
to stabilize him, he takes -2m of Knockback. He
must declare which direction he’s bracing against.
If he’s hit from an unexpected direction, he takes
normal Knockback.

 

Also, Resisting Knockback is a move that you can Abort to use.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

From Volume 6E2 Pages 115+ on Knockback:

 

A character with Flight may declare that he’s
using part of his Flight to root himself to a single
spot (or to remain at a specific location in mid-air,
if he’s already flying). For every 2m of Flight used
to stabilize him, he takes -2m of Knockback. He
must declare which direction he’s bracing against.
If he’s hit from an unexpected direction, he takes
normal Knockback.

 

Also, Resisting Knockback is a move that you can Abort to use.

Throws aren't Knockback, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Throws aren't Knockback, though. 

 

I'd allow it as both are uncontrolled forms of flight.  However, since the action is in reaction to an attackers move, I would make them abort and make an Acrobatics or Breakfall roll based on the distance thrown.  So, if they got thrown 10", they would need to make the roll by -10 to not move anywhere.  If they roll and get it by 5, they would move 5" and stop.  If in those 5" they'd hit something, they would take the full damage from velocity of the throw (10").

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This raises the question, could a character use Flight to alter the direction of their Knockback? For example, instead of being Knocked Back 10m into the corner of a building, the character alters their trajectory to miss the building completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're still in the air after the throw is fully resolved and they didn't hit anything, they start falling. If they get a phase before they hit the ground, they're golden. Otherwise, they're splattin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

This raises the question, could a character use Flight to alter the direction of their Knockback? For example, instead of being Knocked Back 10m into the corner of a building, the character alters their trajectory to miss the building completely.

You can resist KB with Flight but not redirect it.  See also my first post. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2020 at 4:53 PM, Tywyll said:

Are there any rules covering a flyer trying to recover from being thrown by a brick? As I understand it, throws are 'instant', so a brick could grab and throw a character their full range in one segment. But can a character with flight (or teleport) or some other movement power reduce or cancel any of the distance they are thrown before it gets bad?

Well the easiest thing would be to buy KB defined as Flight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

FWIW (being at work I can’t check) but I thought you could use Flight to resist Throws. It’s probably in one of the Martial Art books.

Looked it up.  Ultimate Martial Arts has some very poorly considered rules on the subject. 

Namely, if you have even 1" of Flight, aren't currently using it, and know the attack is coming, you cannot be thrown for distance or prone.  Period.  You may still take damage, but this depends on the SFX of the throw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Looked it up.  Ultimate Martial Arts has some very poorly considered rules on the subject. 

Namely, if you have even 1" of Flight, aren't currently using it, and know the attack is coming, you cannot be thrown for distance or prone.  Period.  You may still take damage, but this depends on the SFX of the throw. 

By chance, what edition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 6:23 AM, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Looked it up.  Ultimate Martial Arts has some very poorly considered rules on the subject. 

Namely, if you have even 1" of Flight, aren't currently using it, and know the attack is coming, you cannot be thrown for distance or prone.  Period.  You may still take damage, but this depends on the SFX of the throw. 

 

I'm not so sure I consider that ill-considered. But I think it's based on the 'instant' travel time of the throw that makes this all wierd. 

 

I'm playing a character in a game that can throw a human sized target something like 72" I think? That breaks all kinds of other movement rules, velocity and all sorts. It seems reasonable that a flyer could somewhere along that distance bring themselves to a halt or at least slow themselves down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...