Strange Super-Hero Incarnations in Media ("Thing Ring Do Your Thing!")

KawangaKid

For some reason, I thought of this phrase from the cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid in the Philippines...

Thing%20Transformation.jpg

... and became curious about all the different types of strange incarnations of well-known supers in media. After hearing some stories from various professionals in animation and comics on Kevin Smith's podcast Fatman on Batman, I'm no longer surprised at how some of these weird ideas came about.

So Ben Grimm is the Thing, who got turned into a teenager by accident, BUT somehow can turn back into The Thing by pushing his two rings together and shouting "Thing ring, do your thing!". Yeeeeeaaaaaah. Okay.

It wasn't very canon. But it was fun!

Doesn't this give you license to throw strange versions of well-known supers into your Champions games?

The Thing-Ring version of Ben was indeed one of the oddest. They always get a bit weird translating stuff from the page to TV. Remember Captain Marvel riding around in an RV?

I won't even bring up Plastic Man's baby.

I was spared that horror...until now. Thanks, I knew I could count on you.

The difference was that there was always a certain segment of the audience that wondered "What happens if Bruce gets old?" It worked because everything about that show was consistent AND cool. It was well-written. It had good stories.

I would have loved that show to go for ages.

• 2 months later...

For some reason, I thought of this phrase from the cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid in the Philippines...

Thing%20Transformation.jpg

... and became curious about all the different types of strange incarnations of well-known supers in media. After hearing some stories from various professionals in animation and comics on Kevin Smith's podcast Fatman on Batman, I'm no longer surprised at how some of these weird ideas came about.

So Ben Grimm is the Thing, who got turned into a teenager by accident, BUT somehow can turn back into The Thing by pushing his two rings together and shouting "Thing ring, do your thing!". Yeeeeeaaaaaah. Okay.

It wasn't very canon. But it was fun!

Doesn't this give you license to throw strange versions of well-known supers into your Champions games?

He was not, in fact, Ben Grimm; he was Ben Grimm's nephew who was sent the Thing Ring as a present from his uncle. How did the Thing Ring come to exist in the first place? I don't know. It never came up.

The Thing-Ring version of Ben was indeed one of the oddest. They always get a bit weird translating stuff from the page to TV. Remember Captain Marvel riding around in an RV?

I won't even bring up Plastic Man's baby.

Oh yes.  In fact, we have used this in our campaign.  Except we have him riding around with 1970s Robin.  You see when they appeared in 1940, Billy Batson and Dick Grayson would have been the same age.  So naturally they became friends,  And then in '53 they were hanging out when Dr. Sivana trapped them both in Suspendium.  So when they are freed in 1973, they're both about 21 or 22, and they decide to go "finding America" by riding around together in a van.

Makes perfect sense.

"Azarath, Mazamon, Zintost!" Did I spell that corectly?

"The makers of Azarath and Metrion are proud to introduce, Zinthos. New and improved Zinthos gives you exactly what you need, exactly when you need it, and because it's blue Zinthos goes with everything."

my understanding is that the thing solo cartoons were an homage to the live action incredible hulk tv show

No, it was just a Marvel licensed version of the standard Hanna-Barbera geeky teen superhero formula. It, generally speaking, had the same plot lines as Wonder Wheels, but with less motorcycles and more orange rocks.

I think Shezow is the most unusual incarnation.  A teenager puts on his late super heroine Aunt's ring and becomes a super heroine himself.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I did this in my Champions game. There's a character named "The Mighty Fist" who's always male and has some archaic mystical transformation. So he passed the power on to his granddaughter, and when she first incanted "Mighty! Mighty! Mighty Fist!" she turned into a seven foot dude with chiseled features and rippling muscles.

Hilarious.