Requires Skill Roll in Tactics

Darkwing Duck

I’m building a Super Soldier in 4e.  He was a US soldier in Afghanistan who was killed in an act of heroism saving a bunch of native students at an all-girls school from an IDE.  He post-humously received the Medal of Honor and a Purple Heart.  He was then turned into a cyborg by the government. He’s a Super Patriot Super Soldier.   Named “Chain Breaker,” he is a gay, black man.  Like Captain America, he’ll have very high Presence and Hand-to-Hand combat. He’ll be a cyborg more like Steve Austin than the classic Victor Stone, though he will have an onboard computer like Midnighter. 

As a Super Soldier, I want one of his really standout powers to be his tactical acumen.  He’ll have various minor powers requiring a Tactics skill roll.  The effect will put him in the same general flavor as a DND Warlord.  He can spend his actions making his teammates fight more effectively.

I’m having problems coming up with ideas for these powers, though.  I’ve got only three ideas so far.  The first one is an 8 point Combat Skill Level Usable on Others (up to 8 characters simultaneously) costs END, requires a skill roll: Tactics.  The second one is Combat Sense, Usable on Others (up to 8 characters simultaneously), costs END, rsr: Tactics.  The third one is Mind Link (8 characters), requires gestures throughout. rsr: Tactics, characters must see each other.

Do you have any other ideas?

2 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Explain the usable on others and why please?

Usable on Others allows a power to be used by someone else.  For example, an 8 point Combat Skill Level bought at the base Usable on Others allows the character with the CSL to give it to another character.  Usable on Others can apply a larger advantage modifier to allow both character to use the CSLs simultaneously or to enable 8 characters (or more) to use the power simultaneously.

I would probably avoid flat bonuses or anything that could be accomplished with Teamwork or team attacks. For RSR: Tactics, I would be thinking more along the lines of:

- Rally: Aid END

- Distract: Drain DCV

- Outmaneuver: Change Environment

- One Move Ahead: Telepathy, surface thoughts only, receive only

For playability reasons, I would avoid actions that cause him to simply stand around and grant bonuses.

Defense Maneuver, UBO

Teamwork skill would be good.

A small amount of teleportation, UBO, defined as swapping places via maneuverability

Presence Defence, UBN

To expand a bit on pawplay, the Change Environment could be area of effect selective

Corner case, but missile reflection used conditionally to represent you maneuvering people between two opponents and having one shoot the other.

Weirder stuff could be things like aids to powers to add Indirect (coordinated fire from unexpected direction), AoE selective drains to movement (tripping up opponents with feints and strategic movement), triggered attacks (concentrating fire), etc.

- E

7 hours ago, pawsplay said:

Interesting. I always thought of "Rally" as a morale action and would therefore have used Aid EGO (for overcoming detrimental morale effects or increasing morale going into a bad situation), but END is a good choice, too. I wonder what I could call the EGO version to differentiate them? Maybe Inspire, Encourage or Urge?

42 minutes ago, Lee said:

Interesting. I always thought of "Rally" as a morale action and would therefore have used Aid EGO (for overcoming detrimental morale effects or increasing morale going into a bad situation), but END is a good choice, too. I wonder what I could call the EGO version to differentiate them? Maybe Inspire, Encourage or Urge?

Galvanize?

2 hours ago, Lee said:

Bolster?

20 hours ago, pawsplay said:

I would probably avoid flat bonuses or anything that could be accomplished with Teamwork or team attacks. For RSR: Tactics, I would be thinking more along the lines of:

- Distract: Drain DCV

- Outmaneuver: Change Environment

- One Move Ahead: Telepathy, surface thoughts only, receive only

For playability reasons, I would avoid actions that cause him to simply stand around and grant bonuses.

I don’t really understand your Chsnge Environment suggestion.  What exactly would the Change Environment do?

There used to be a variant on luck that allowed you a number of rerolls based on what you rolled for your luck.  If you had move then 4 levels of luck you could affect the rolls of others.  This would be a perfect ability for the character you are describing.  The special effect is that your character is giving directions in combat.