2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

49 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

How long has it been since a #1 overall pick has been traded in the NFL? What did the fanbases think?

I suspect fanbases generally dislike it.  I can't find anything more recent than this...but I don't think it's happened since 2016 anyway.
https://www.buccaneers.com/news/four-times-the-1-pick-was-traded-14802842

Note that trading up has itself been a mixed bag.  

EDIT:  my, my, my, my, my.  OT is ENTIRELY in the realm of possibility at this point.  Hey, if the tie is a legit, tactically correct outcome?  Awesome!  

Even though such "gentleman's draws" routinely happen in soccer.  Even at the international level.  Heck, especially on the international level, in the group stages of the World Cup.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I would have loved to see that happen. Sports punditry would have gone nuclear. But it would never have happened since it would have wrecked profi— I mean, tarnished the shield. 

OMG.....

Chargers have the most insane high-wire act to drive to a touchdown WITH NO TIME LEFT.  Extra point TIED IT.

I was thinking...could they MAYBE go for 2....but they chose not to.  

Antacid consumption in the Pittsburgh area has probably just skyrocketed.

EDIT:  this is turning into the most fun football game in YEARS.  ULTIMATE CHAOS!!!  

4th and 6 from the Raiders' 23 for the Chargers.  They have to kick to tie.  IT'S GOOD!!!!!!

You can tell I'm not from Pittsburgh.  4:30 left.  The tie is no longer on the horizon, it's at the back gate.

EDIT:  SOOOOO CLOSE!!! The game ending kick was good.  It DID look like maybe the Raiders weren't gonna do it...3rd and 4, 40 seconds left, at the Charger 39, but they ran the ball for about 10 yards.  That let em call TO with 2 seconds to go, with a makeable kick.  NOT kicking would've been VERY debatable, in that the chance of a bad result and Chargers win was *remote*.

I feel a little bad for the Chargers.  4th and 10 *3 times* on the drive that tied it at the end of regulation.  4th and 9 on the drive for the tying FG in OT.  Raiders also showed a great deal of grit;  the 3rd and 8 pass to the sideline, that got them the first down in Chargers territory, was a heckuva throw.

And hey, I generally dislike the Raiders organization...but not the current players per se.  Given the circumstances of this season, hey, making the playoffs is pretty awesome.

EDIT:  and last thought on all this.  Big THANK YOU to the Jags for teaching the Colts that no one can be overlooked...because without that, there would've been no real drama tonight.  

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

EDIT:  SOOOOO CLOSE!!! The game ending kick was good.  It DID look like maybe the Raiders weren't gonna do it...3rd and 4, 40 seconds left, at the Charger 39, but they ran the ball for about 10 yards.  That let em call TO with 2 seconds to go, with a makeable kick.  NOT kicking would've been VERY debatable, in that the chance of a bad result and Chargers win was *remote*.

I agree with the analysts, I think if the Chargers hadn't called their timeout, thereby showing they were going for the win, the raiders might have settled for the tie. We will never know how much that changed their thinking, but I believe so. Of course, letting them run for that 10 yards when you pretty much knew they were running the ball was a mistake too.

16 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I agree with the analysts, I think if the Chargers hadn't called their timeout, thereby showing they were going for the win, the raiders might have settled for the tie. We will never know how much that changed their thinking, but I believe so. Of course, letting them run for that 10 yards when you pretty much knew they were running the ball was a mistake too.

Chargers coach claims it was to change personnel.  They knew it was gonna be a run, and wanted to stop the first down.  If they'd done that, it would've been at least a 52 yard FG.  But to win...it would've required a miss.  The Chargers would get the ball at around their 45 but with maybe 25 seconds left and no timeouts.  (They would've had to call the last time out or the Raiders would simply run the clock down as they did after getting the first down.)

That said, it may have changed the 3rd down play call, to be sure.  It definitely backfired.

I will also concede that it jarred everyone...like, what?  There was clearly a vibe that, ok, the Raiders were NOT going to risk *losing* the game once it got inside a minute, with safe field position.  Remember the series...first down at the 45, the Chargers stuffed that run for a 1 yard loss.  2nd and 11 there, is a defensive play call.  They got 7...clock running...first thought still being Don't Mess Up!  And then the time out.  So it's not hard to me to think the Raiders slipped into a kind of tunnel vision/overly defensive mode, and the time out shook them out of it somewhat.  

Here's a detailed breakdown by Emmanuel Acho:

And so the carousel kicks into high gear.  Fangio out yesterday;  today it's Zimmer and the Vikes GM (not surprising at all for both of em), Nagy (also figured)...and Brian Flores from the Dolphins.  Impatience?  10-6 then 9-8 with a team that has QB issues isn't that bad on the surface.

One change that should be made real soon:  designate Rich Bisaccia as the full time HC in Vegas.  They went 1-5 after the week 8 bye, but that was also right after Ruggs and Arnette threw their careers away.  Coming back to win 4 in a row, beating the Browns, Colts, and Chargers...all JUST missing the playoffs...that's impressive.  

It would certainly make sense to retain Rich Bisaccia as the head coach in Vegas. He's proven he's up to the task.

Which is precisely why I expect the Raiders to hire somebody else. This is still the Davis Family running things, after all. 

To be fair, tho, how many organizations ever seem to retain an interim coach, even when said coach shows significant improvement?  To quote Jubal Harshaw:

You have to give an editor something to change, or he gets frustrated. After he pees in it, he likes the flavor better, so he buys it. 

And right now, how many seriously dysfunctional organizations are there?  Giants, Jets, Jags, Lions, Bears, Dolphins, Broncos, Washington...that's not exhaustive, just tossing some out.  All of em are spinning in place, with another reboot every 3-4 years.  Sometimes it seems they kinda, sorta, get it right, but it doesn't last.

23 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I can assure you that the Ders will be dysfunctional then.  They are always dysfunctional.  You need to worry about whether the Bungles will be dysfunctional at the same time.

Ironically, both the Raiders and Bengals finished the season with the same 10-7 record.

Historically speaking - Bengals playoffs=dysfunctional 

And the Captain Obvious Saw This One firing...Joe Judge is gone.  Obvious because once the GM goes, his coach is out on the edge of the branch and the woodpeckers are swarming.

NFL.com is saying that Flores didn't get along with Miami's GM, and the owner sided with the GM.  This was talking in the context of Deshaun Watson.  Watson apparently would've approved a move to Miami with Flores, so that perhaps suggests Flores wanted him, and the GM didn't.  I lean to the GM;  I *do not* want a flake, as Watson absolutely appears to be, as my QB.

It kinda looks like the HC firings are probably done for now, unless there'll be some after the first round of the playoffs.  No one there seems overly threatened should they lose.

And the Broncos ownership situation is on track to resolution.  There were legal complications to selling the team;  those have been resolved.  How long it'll take to find a buyer?  Not long......if you have nearly $4 BILLION dollars to plunk down.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

And the Broncos ownership situation is on track to resolution.  There were legal complications to selling the team;  those have been resolved.  How long it'll take to find a buyer?  Not long......if you have nearly $4 BILLION dollars to plunk down.

Let me set up a Gofundme.

It's unfortunate that Flores didn't work out in Miami.  I'm not sure how the Fins could upgrade at HC, and meanwhile Tua's development is being affected.