2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I skipped the postgame but...was that a called play, or did Dak just Dak?

One of the things that drives my brother crazy about Dak's stats (and Elliots in a secondary way) is how many of his great stats are usually in blowouts, one way or the other. I told him I guarantee other GMs if they were free agents would pay attention, but regular fans and the hype machine just shows the stats.

And it looks like we've got blowout #4, of the 6 games.  Kyler Murray commits the deadly sin of holding the ball WAYYYYY too long *in the end zone* and gets burned with an EASY pick-6 to move it solidly into Rout territory.

Arizona is going to have to re-think their offense.  It's been moribund.

EDIT:  and now with over 10 minutes left in the third, the Cards have a 0.5% win probability, thus making it official.  Another rout.  Unless something RADICALLY changes, this'll wind down a disappointing round, from a competitive standpoint.  Not so much from a results standpoint, but there's been *so much* garbage time this round...

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm not quite sure what to call that shade of blue the Rams are wearing - it's not really royal blue like the Bills were wearing the other day - but I really like it.

Pantone lists it as a cyan-blue.  RGB (from Ram web site) is 0,53,148.  The nearest named shade, from Pantone, is dark powder blue (0,51,153).

I think it plays off the yellow very well.

So now it's time to cogitate, freshen up the tea leaves, and see if the ouija board is working to make the next round of predictions.

The announcers pointed out last night that this was Von Miller's first playoff appearance since being named MVP of Super Bowl 50. Miller had six tackles (three for loss) and a sack.

But the sack wasn't as sweet as the one from his last playoff game. :) 

Well, the avalanche started when Murray double-clutched.  Once the protection started to break down, the *best likely* cases were getting to be pretty bad/  He was gonna need luck to just have it be incomplete.  Figure:  if he holds the ball, it's a safety.  16-0, and the Rams get the ball, commonly in fairly good field position...which means a FG is fairly likely.  Not a given, but pretty likely.  So the toss did hurt...but IMO, the bigger problem was situational recognition.  And a side thought:  did he have a safety valve...a receiver in position where he could throw it away?  Intentional grounding in the end zone is also a safety, so there's a reasonable chance that Kingsbury deserves some of the blame, if the play call was part of the problem.

I'm mostly hoping for better games.  4 blowouts;  Raiders-Bengals was choppy;  and the Niners had the Cowboys locked down for most of that game...it shouldn't have ever come down to that last play.  The way they played in that 4th quarter...man, they tried to choke.  Tried hard.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

The way they played in that 4th quarter...man, they tried to choke.  Tried hard.

We have always called that "Prevent Defense". Of course, no one ever says which team you are trying to prevent winning and I am pretty sure most top QBs salivate at those words.

The Broncos have interviewed nine head coaching candidates this week. The conventional wisdom is that Cowboys DC (and former Falcons head coach) Dan Quinn is the favorite to land the job. If so, he'd need to hire a good offensive coordinator, ot it'll be Vic Fangio all over again.

Time will tell, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Titans change ticket policy to exclude Bengals fans

Question is, what does Starlord look like in Hulk form?

I had seen this.  It is a bush league move, but I don't mind so much as the Bengals seem to play pretty well on the road anyway.  It's when they're favored or playing Baker Mayfield that they tend to play down to the competition.

On 3/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, Starlord said:

New league year began March 17th.

Less than impressed with the way the Bengals spent the 5th most cap money so far.  A bunch of average guys basically.  One impressive signing - CB Mike Hinton is a steal and he was pulled away from the Steelers.  We did manage to get an ok OT with Riley Reiff.  Although, he is better than the 'matadors' we have on the line right now.  We FINALLY got rid of the worst OT in the league - Bobby Hart - so addition by substraction I always say!  Weirdly, we also got rid of the worst QB in the league, Ryan Finley.  Better yet, we somehow got the Texans to trade for him.  This could be proof that the Texans are now the worst run team in the league.

Reposting my first post here in this thread.  Turns out the Bengals actually spent their cap money brilliantly this year...and now we will have another $58 million to spend this year.  The most money of any team that was in the playoffs this year.