2021 College Football Thread

Pariah

OK, forget that.

Down 42-35.

At HALFTIME.

To an FCS team that's 4-5 in FCS.  When you're at home and favored by more than 30.

Dan Mullen's time as Florida coach has one more half left, IMO.  Defense has given up 360.  Samford's punted once.  Samford's got 3 kick returns for almost 140 yards, so special teams isn't exactly sterling.

Just saw this too:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/kirk-herbstreit-burns-dan-mullen-florida-on-college-gameday/

Sure looks like Herbstreit might be right.  Against a massively outclassed opponent, at least on paper and in the eyes of Vegas, this is an utter debacle.

The Aggies actually forced Alabama to punt on their first possession, and moved the ball enough to kick a FG.  3-0, 10 minutes into the game!!!

Then the whole house collapsed.  Bama...7 straight touchdowns.  Aggies...5 punts and a fumble.  49-3 at half, and my 60's looking pretty good....unlike Logan's Gators....

EDIT:  drat.  59-3 final.  Bama showed mercy in the second half.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

After knocking off Iowa and Michigan State wouldn't it be hilarious if Purdue could knock off Ohio State today?

Their boiler burst.

52 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

I didn't watch the game, but I just read about the Gators and... hooo, boy. We escaped with a win. 

Escaped

We had to rally to win

When is a win a loss?  Look up this game.

Apparently there were numerous comments during the game that the team is broken, or gave up.  

And then there was this...

SO done.

Oklahoma will end up with a decent bowl game IF they win out...no given there.  You can forget the playoffs.  But they seriously expect to compete in the SEC with this run defense?

Hey Logan, take some solace.

In Austin...Kansas, the woeful, awful, perennial cellar dweller and Bottom 10 favorite...

Kansas 57, Texas 56.

Texas was a 31 point favorite.  Record is now 4-6, and on a 5 game conference losing streak.  They must win at West Virginia and versus Kansas State to even be bowl-eligible, and they will probably be underdogs in both games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-week-11-winners-and-losers-things-are-bleak-in-austin-after-texas-loses-to-kansas-043841234.html

Sarkisian's first season may well be his last, but doing so would force Texas to eat some substantial guarantees.  This being Texas, tho?  They might just do that.  This is not a forgivable loss.  

And gee, ya think maybe the SEC wants to reconsider accepting them?

From USA Today's preview of this weekend's college games:

There is the possibility that all hell breaks loose in the SEC West. The scenario where six teams tie for first in the division starts with Arkansas beating Alabama and the Crimson Tide then losing to Auburn. The Tigers would first need to defeat South Carolina. Texas A&M needs to beat LSU. Ole Miss needs to beat Vanderbilt and then lose the Egg Bowl to the Bulldogs. That would leave all six teams at 5-3 in conference play, with Auburn the division champion by virtue of a 3-2 record against the tied teams. 

I would LOVE to see this.

And the 3 way tie with Michigan, Mich State, and OSU.  That just needs OSU to beat Mich State, then Michigan to beat OSU.  And no upsets in the other games.

Chaos is always fun.

But let's face it.  The reason you'd love this is because it means Bama loses twice...and thereby has NO shot at the playoffs.

good googly moogly...

There are mismatches, and there are MISMATCHES.

Ohio State is gonna have 3 receivers with 1000 yards.

Michigan State's weakness on defense is the secondary.

23 minutes into the game...OSU has had 6 possessions.  That's a red flag right there, one way or the other.  Here...6 TDs.  23/25 passing for 330 yards.  42-0.  It was 21-0 practically before the fans settled into their seats, and the Buckeyes haven't slowed down a bit.

I think I'll switch games now....

Fox talking heads at halftime of their game, noted that Mich State's pass defense was ranked worst in the country.  Yeah, the first half made sure they wouldn't have any challenengers.

Lots of major blowouts in the early window.  Georgia, Miss State, A&M all 40+.  Notre Dame's up 24-0 after 1 quarter.  Another pattern:  #10 Wake Forest got manhandled through 3 quarters...38-13 down at Clemson.  They tried to make a game of it, it's 41-27 now, but Clemson just recovered the onside kick inside 5 minutes left.  Can't have a week without a top 10 team getting upset by an unranked team, after all......

OTOH, Iuz sweated bullets there at the end, but his Sooners didn't dud.

My GOSH, I just saw the WORST!!!! goal line call I can remember...like...EVER.  Bama-Arkansas.  Hogs have the ball at the half yard line, run it into the line.  Back doesn't blow through but the penetration's plenty good.  

1.  The back's body *clearly* gets over the goal line.

2.  The back is able to *reach out*, and the ball has to be a good YARD into the end zone.

On-field call is no TD...marked at the 6 inch line.  

RIDICULOUS.  Overturned on review in an eyeblink.

Bama's only up 17-14, late 2nd.  Bama bashers still have hope.

Yeah...i saw a few, shall we say, less than complimentary comments about Mullen's game calling.  And if he heeded to show well in his last 2 games as some columns wrote, well, losing to a team ranked 87 (out of 130 in FBS) is pretty bad.  And another postgame comment:  "We have to be mentally tougher.  And that's on the coaches...and our preparation."  Yeah, at this point?  Pretty much an admission he's not up to the job in my book.

Logan, at least...is your TV still intact?