Best starting premade campaign?

Crayon

I am not sure about premade starts, but I tend to believe that the best way to get everyone into the game is the classic way -

1) Some threat that the characters are able to if not totally stop,  they should at least be able to make major headway with it.  A classic example is the robot, mob whatever invasion that the characters get together and deal with. 

2) Patron - Some individual or group gathers the characters together for some reason (stated or not). Everyone might have similar abilities or more comics feel, either way the patron is their effective group life force. This can be combined with #1.

For new campaigns of any genre, I usually file the edges off my favorite old D&D module, The Forge of Fury.  Because modern adventures and especially supers ones can be so freeform with players able to traverse great distances etc, it's better imo for the starting adventure to be kind of railroady.  The dungeon crawl settings work pretty well for guiding the party into learning each others abilities, etc.  Of course, I have a lot of experience with HERO so it's pretty easy for me to adjust the monsters attacks and defenses on the fly.  Usually my monster meter is 'one hit, two hit, many hit' indicating how many average attacks should finish one off.  

But don't tell anyone, especially your players that you're filing the edges off a different system.  

I'll assume you are talking about a Champions campaign.

Finding a Premade campaign that will fit with what the players and GM wants out of the game might be difficult. Much easier (and probably better) is to find a premade Adventure that can be tailored to be the first adventure the players go on. And then worry about how the campaign will grow after that. 

For example, a premade adventure that has the players fighting against a massive alien army might not work so well if all the players are "Daredevil" level heroes, and likewise a premade adventure vs the mafia might not work if all the players are "Thor" or "Iron Man" type heroes. 

Even better would be if the GM could create the first adventure themselves, and tailor it specifically to the types and Character Point totals of the Heroes the Players create, and their backstories. This would be the most "organic" of situations, and not all that hard to do (especially if you have access to one or more of the villain sourcebooks. Just pick a villain (or team of villains) that are roughly equal or slightly less powerful then the heroes, have them commit a crime that brings the team together to stop.)

Have you talked to your players about what kind of campaign they would like to play?   You might ask them about what movies, comics to TV shows come closest to what their looking for?  Justice League the movie is worlds different from the JL Animated Series.

This might give you some ideas about how to set up your games.

In the Spirit of Sly Flourish and the Lazy Dungeon Master I would suggest starting with the characters. Hunted/Monitored and Psychological Limits can seed half your sessions - this will also tell what the players expect. An Alien Invasion (JLA) Subterrestrial attack (FF) Demonic Invasion (NTT) Trickster God (Avengers) Superpower  Terrorist (X-men) Shadow War (BtVS) missing Hero team (New X-men) expansion of a Global Team (JLE) rescue of escaped alien captive from kidnapping (NTT) rescue of experimental subject (YJ) Base provided to heroes by Benefactor (NTT) heroes approached by Insurance company to protect insured customers (Northwind)

Run a session and see which direction the players go.

Think of three things that the heroes could do - five places they might go - three days interesting thing about it each location -  three groups on individuals they might meet - five pieces of information.

keep doing this and the campaign will grow

14 hours ago, MITSasquatch said:

In the Spirit of Sly Flourish and the Lazy Dungeon Master I would suggest starting with the characters. Hunted/Monitored and Psychological Limits can seed half your sessions - this will also tell what the players expect. An Alien Invasion (JLA) Subterrestrial attack (FF) Demonic Invasion (NTT) Trickster God (Avengers) Superpower  Terrorist (X-men) Shadow War (BtVS) missing Hero team (New X-men) expansion of a Global Team (JLE) rescue of escaped alien captive from kidnapping (NTT) rescue of experimental subject (YJ) Base provided to heroes by Benefactor (NTT) heroes approached by Insurance company to protect insured customers (Northwind)

Run a session and see which direction the players go.

Think of three things that the heroes could do - five places they might go - three days interesting thing about it each location -  three groups on individuals they might meet - five pieces of information.

keep doing this and the campaign will grow

For those who don’t speak Sasquatch, let me translate.

JLA :  Justice League of America  Both Silver Age Comic and Animated Series.

FF :  Fantastic Four

NTT : New Teen Titans  Marv Wolfman/George Perez  (1980’s)

Avengers : Both Silver Age Comic and Movies

X-Men : Bronze Age Issue #1  (1960’s)

BtVS : Buffy the Vampire Slayer  (TV)

New X-Men : Modern Age - Giant Size All New, All Different  (1980’s)

YJ : Young Justice

Northwind : The long running game that the mighty Bigfoot ran at M.I.T. that was my very first Champions game.  (Hey there, Capt.)😀

Regardless of the genre,  people will form into gangs,  both good and bad. The workplace or family can be examples of good gangs. However,  there will always be bad gangs for the PCs to fight. Also,  the party might not have funding for their activities,  so they could require some patron/benefactor.  What the actual intentions of this patron might be could align or resist the party,  that doesn't need to be revealed until much later,  if at all.