Help with cast

phydaux

Who is your pick to play Batman in Darknight Returns? I'm trying to think who is the right age, is tall enough and has the presense to pull it off.

I'm thinking Clint Eastwood could do it.

I would LOVE to see Charlton Heston do it, but I don't think he could pull it off now with the Altzheimer's.

Burt Reynolds is too "good old boy" to do it. But he'd jump at the chance.

Michael Douglas WOULDN'T do it.

and now for the really important question - who would you cast as the young girl Robin?

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

For the young girl Robin, how about Beverly Mitchell (Lucy on Seventh Heaven)?

I just don't see her being that adventurous and exciting. I'm thinking that's the kind of role they would case an unknown in, or someone without name recognition.

As for Batman, there's always Rutger Hauer (though I haven't seen him in recent years, so not sure how he's looking).

Frankly there aren't that many kickass older guys. Eastwood now strikes me as too old when I see him. He's more "Batman Beyond" old, where he's not exactly fighting shape, unlike DK Returns.

Ed Harris isn't "Leading man" Handsome or else I'd suggest him.

I'm likely to be shouted down, but I think the part of an aging but still active badass batman is tailor made for Bruce Willis.

Still working on casting Robin, Superman, and Joker.

How about Robert DeNiro? He's a bit short (about 5'10"), but he's definitely got the presence and the look. (Pic)

Jay O. Sanders is another possibility. He looks the part more, but I'm not sure he's got the screen command for this role (though he's a good actor). (Pic)

Hal Holbrook as Commissioner Jim Gordon (Check out this pic)

Burt Reynolds doesn't have to be too "good old boy." That's a formula that was very successful for him for over a decade but it's not how he broke into show business and is not a reflection of a limitation to his range as an actor. I've seen him play non-good old boys. The man is a great actor who is willing to go low brow to rake in cash. Can't blame him.

Originally posted by phydaux

Good call. He hasn't really done the dark, brooding bit, but I think he could pull it off.

Who would play Superman?

As much of a stick in the mud as some of his statements make me think he is, I don't know if I want to see that.

I have no idea who could be Superman. Some of those guys with dark hair, broad shoulders, and square jaws from the 50s and 60s could have pulled it off but they're just a touch too old or dead. James Garner is showing his age a little too much. He would have been good 10-15 years ago.

Originally posted by Agent X

As much of a stick in the mud as some of his statements make me think he is, I don't know if I want to see that.

I have no idea who could be Superman. Some of those guys with dark hair, broad shoulders, and square jaws from the 50s and 60s could have pulled it off but they're just a touch too old or dead. James Garner is showing his age a little too much. He would have been good 10-15 years ago.

Well, in Dark Knight Returns, Superman doesn't look any older (except after the Coldbringer strike) than he does now...

Originally posted by Ghost who Walks

Someone has to say it. ;)

Adam West.

If you hadn't, I was going to. Judging from his performance (albeit voice only) on the animated Batman, I think he could pull off a serious version with aplomb.

And I stand by my suggestion of Beverly Mitchell for the Girl Wonder. You might be surprised at what she can do -- Michael Keaton seemed like a pretty wild choice for Batman in the first movie, but he was much better than expected (not excellent, at least in my opinion, but no turkey either).

And if you really want a good Batman Beyond Bruce Wayne... Kirk Douglas. :D

casting call

How about Alec Baldwin for an aging Bats............if he worked out again, lost some of his post Kim Basinger pounds.......Maybe Robert Conrad, but he may be TOO old.

Robin...................how about Michelle Tractenburg, Dawn from the BUFFY the Vampire Slayer TV show. She should be sufficiently whiny while dishing out spinning back-kicks.

Joker....................psycho-obsessed consciousless killer. OJ.........sorry that's another post. Jim Carrey could probably pull it off again, but his ego wouldn't let him take a pay cut under 25 Mil............

Superman...........don't have a clue, sorry