5 Favorite Albums

Tjack

5 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Live albums and greatest hits are fine. I’ve got three live ones on my own list.  Do you want to change your list?

I'll just keep my list.  Otherwise I'd just be listing the greatest hits albums of my five favorite bands. :)

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

So, I put together a list of musicals albums just to see what it would look like these days. Here's what I have, though subject to revision. Once again, no particular order. And strictly stage, no movies. 

1. Chess
  2. Jesus Christ Superstar 
  3. The Who's Tommy
  4. Once on this Island 
  5. Cats

Too many honorable mentions to list them all, but difficult choices include Fiddler on the Roof, Assassins, Snoopy!!! The Musical, Sweeney Todd

Grease?

Grease is certainly up there. So is Chicago, Rocky Horror, Les Mis, Rent, Into the Woods, and a whole host of others. I'm not really a Rodgers and Hammerstein guy, though, so I'll pass on all of those except for certain individual songs. 

Here's where I lose everyone: a movie soundtrack that I love is Dumb and Dumber🤪

5 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Grease is certainly up there. So is Chicago, Rocky Horror, Les Mis, Rent, Into the Woods, and a whole host of others. I'm not really a Rodgers and Hammerstein guy, though, so I'll pass on all of those except for certain individual songs. 

Here's where I lose everyone: a movie soundtrack that I love is Dumb and Dumber🤪

That’s one of those “pick & choose” type soundtracks.  The movie itself has little to nothing to do with the quality of the songs in it.

Yeah, for me that's the difference between a movie soundtrack album and a movie score album. I may be off on the official definition. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Hair. Love some songs like the main theme but can't stand others. The fact that I Got Life is in a national commercial I hear all the time really bugs me. 

31 minutes ago, Pariah said:

273333723_10161835542632178_876043270003

I might do soundtracks later. I don't follow musicals well enough to have a favorites list for that.

Not to be nitpicky, but that’s six covers.
 To paraphrase the instructions to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch....Five shall be the number of the counting——-Six is right out!🇬🇧

6 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Not to be nitpicky, but that’s six covers.
 To paraphrase the instructions to the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch....Five shall be the number of the counting——-Six is right out!

There are six for a reason. Three reasons, actually.

1. It worked better for the picture.

2. I wasn't sure if the first one would count, but it had to be included. 

3. I resent being held to artificially constructed societal norms. I'm all rebellious and counterculture like that.

14 minutes ago, Pariah said:

There are six for a reason. Three reasons, actually.

1. It worked better for the picture.

2. I wasn't sure if the first one would count, but it had to be included. 

3. I resent being held to artificially constructed societal norms. I'm all rebellious and counterculture like that.

I’m torn, because on one hand I feel like “Let freedom ring, baby!”  On the other, explaining to the hand grenade why you have the right as a free citizen to wait until four or five to throw it seldom works.

I am not a fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers but the live album Live in Hyde Park is really good.

Metallica's S+M album which has the band and an orchestra and is live is good.

Siouxsie and The Banshees Live at the Royal Albert Hall has the band playing a lot of the Juju album. The album has a sarcastic Siouxsie aside as she asks whether the band can get out of tune any quicker which is not on the DVD/VHS video.

The Commitments soundtrack is also wonderful. The cast assembled to play the fictional band play a variety of soul hits capped by Try a Little Tenderness which is the absolute highlight.

And lastly Mylene Farmer Avant Que L'Ombre. This is a recording of one of her stage shows. It is all in French and is just wonderful.