2022 Baseball Thread

unclevlad

It also is the postseason of Aces not being Aces. Probably worst start of Verlander's season, maybe close to career.

Cole ended up pitching well, but he was over 60 pitches in 3rd.

Fried for Atlanta had shortest outing of year.

Clevinger (granted, not an ace, but former top level pitcher) bombed by Dodgers.

We are seeing the compelling reason why we really, REALLY want to keep the runner on 2nd in extra innings in the regular season....

The DODGER game has started, and Seattle-Houston's still going.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh just as I write that....

Astros get a solo dinger to go up 1-0 in the top of the 18th...

If that's the final score, this has to be the most crushing (for Seattle) and misleading 3 game sweep *EVER.*

WALKOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleveland down 5-3, bottom of the 9th.  Get a run in, get the bases loaded.  1-2 on the batter.  

Ball up the middle.  PASSES THE PITCHING MOUND.  Splits 2nd and short.  1 run is in.  Takes its sweet time getting to the center fielder. 2 runs in!!!

WALK IT OFF!!! CLEVELAND WINS to take a 2-1 lead.

In Guardians style.  SMALL BALL.  5 hits, don't think any of em would've counted as hard-hit balls.

<punches the button...starting the multiple ceiling fans to whirl...while shedding the sheathes on all the sword blades...>

Raise your hand if you saw the NLCS as Phillies-Padres...

Oh the opportunities for a time machine, and 3 $100 bets...Padres in WS, Phillies in WS, Padres-Phillies NLCS...made at the start of the season.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

I'd really like to see the Padres win as I don't believe they ever have. Problem is, not sure any of the remaining teams, and that includes the Yankees, can beat the Astros.

Padres made the WS back in '84 and '98.  

Phillies may have a puncher's chance against the Astros.  It's not like the 'stros dominated;  those games were nailbiters.

This is the same guy who thought Tim Tebow could play QB?

I don't need to imagine anything.  After the debacles against the Niners and Colts, it's proven beyond any possible doubt.  I'd watch an NBA exhibition game over another Bronco mess.......well, OK, not if the Lakers or Nets were playing.  Then I'd have to just turn the TV off, or try to catch up on the streaming stuff I *still* haven't gotten round to.

To me, it's not really a question of how badly the Broncos may be playing. It's more that I'd rather watch pretty much anything—say, a women's field hockey game between two teams in India that I'd never head of—than watch the Yankees.

If you can get to Spanish language channels, there are a couple now that show soccer games on a quasi-regular basis on weekends.  The two I look at have Liga MX and the Premier League.  I saw Liverpool break Manchester City's unbeaten streak this last weekend.

Anyway for both teams to lose and the Phillies/Padres be the world series.

Sadly, I think Astros win it all. I just think they are head and shoulders above all 3 other teams, provided Verlander pitches better then he did against Seattle. Of course, that was the 7th time SEattle had seen him this season, so that was probably a factor.

FREAK!!! second inning for the Phillies.  Bloopers.  Broken bats.  Decently hit, medium-deep fly ball to right...dead into the sun.  Soto had no chance to catch it.  Hard-hit ground ball, comes up a bit on the first baseman, gets away enough to prevent a double play...letting the runner on 3rd scored.  Even the third out was adventurous...another high fly ball to Soto.  He's fighting to keep it in sight, but manages.

By that point, tho, Snell has to throw 36 pitches in the inning, and the Phillies get 4 runs.

EDIT:  fun!!!  Padres aren't known as a power club, and San Diego isn't a home run hitter's park...but the Pads get back to back homers to start the bottom of the 2nd.  So, 4-2.

For some reason, they only allowed 3 hours between the start of the Padre game, and the start of the Astro game.  Of course, yesterday that would've been fine;  that game only ran about 2 1/2 hours.  This one?  Likely going rather longer...

Yankee bats turn to sawdust again.  8th inning says it.  Reliever starting the inning walks the 7 and 8 hitters...gets the #9 hitter.  Rizzo comes up, tho, 2 on, 1 out, down 5.  Line drive to 2nd...easy.  COULD have been dropped to try for a double play, it was close, but that'd be risky.  2 outs, Judge up.  Swings at a ball well inside, squibs one to 3rd.  Easy out.  Threat over.

Flip side:  top 2nd, 2 out.  Lazy fly ball in right-center.  Bader in center, Judge in right converge.  Bader's calling for it.  They don't quite collide, but in football...Judge woulda been flagged for pass interference.  Ball clanks of Bader's glove.  Next guy up...homer.  2-0.  Yankee stadium homer...JUST into the short porch in right.  Top 6th, Astros load bases, then get a sac fly and a single that, with good base running, gives em 2 more runs.

Yankees get 2 empty singles in the 9th, or they'd have been 1-hit.  5-0 Astros.  And 3-0 in the series.

Factoid:  the Yankees have not led at the end of a single inning in this series.  

15 hours ago, Pariah said:

Normally I'd say this is a reason to celebrate, if I didn't hate the Asstros so much.

Friend asked who he was supposed to route for, I suggested an Act of God.

Looks like we are heading for an Astros/Phillies WS. SD needed game 4, as they theoretically had the pitching advantage, but they lost, then after taking a 4-0 lead against Phillies bullpen day and blowing up their plans, Clevinger proceeds to not get out of the bottom of the first before allowing the Phillies within 1. 3-1 lead in series with Wheeler at home and Nola in game 6.

And Harper in the 8th.

Didn't much care between em, but I'd rather have had the Padres, if only for virtually no weather risk.  Rain in Philly for much of the game, and the game in NY's been delayed over an hour already.  I'm basically assuming the Yankees are gone...as are the NY fans.  Report was, tickets that went for $200 on the secondary market, dropped to $28 since they're down 3-0.  That was before the weather issues.

And indeed we do.  This was the first time the Yankees seemed to have a pulse, but the Astros came back, and came back.  Judge grounds out to the pitcher to end the game, Astros sweep.

And the weeping and gnashing of teeth in the Big Apple is absolutely deafening.

It will be a fascinating off-season for both NY teams.

Meanwhile, the Astros are 7-0...sorry Stro-haters.  

Of course, the WS STILL doesn't start until Friday.  <sigh>