2022 Baseball Thread

unclevlad

23 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well that's because they abandoned you, I suspect.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

That's probably how a lot of the locals are going to feel about the Jazz by the end of the upcoming season. They're gonna be a glorified G-League team.

"Abandoned" is too kind a word for what was done to us.  Everyone here was saddened when David Stern died; it meant that the spectacle of watching the crows eat the eyes out of his mutilated corpse as it swung from a tree in Occidental Square was forever denied to us.

I bet he still remembers 2001.  It was definitely an odyssey...

Speaking of the Jazz, yeah...the predictions for win totals are not auspicious for them.

Rockets, Pacers, Thunder:  23.5.  

Spurs, Jazz:  24.5

Nets:  29.5.  Love seeing this.  Bookies are NOT expecting they can work together.  The Athletic this morning had a similar point.  In LA, if the Lakers flounder and Westbrook can't fit in?  He's likely traded by the deadline.  In Brooklyn:

The vibes are spectacularly bad in Brooklyn, as we’ve discussed already, and if Simmons doesn’t pop with Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving handling the shooting, it’s easy to imagine friction showing early. Simmons notably got booed on his home floor — against the Sixers, no less — in his first game in a Nets uniform. Fun. 

Back to the actual subject...nothing major.  Judge can't get 62 today...goes 1-5.  Arraez leads the AL at .315 and he's out with an injury;  Judge is down to .310.  There isn't that much time left to pick up 5 points at this stage.  Toronto's locked into the top WC as was noted.  NL, Mets are leading the first game of the doubleheader, trying to keep pressure on the Braves.  

The problem for the Mariners is they'll have to go to Cleveland or Toronto...both of which have been playing very well recently.  And as the road team for all 3 games, they'll be substantial underdogs to win the series.

2 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

For the first time in franchise history, including the New York years, the Giants finish at exactly .500

What makes things so hard to gauge is...that was only 6 games out of a playoff spot.  Now....granted, that's probably not the measure you want to use.  I think you need to measure against the Braves or Mets...forget trying to measure against the Dodgers right now.  But if you can get to the point of the Braves or Mets, at least you should have a decent shot.  The Astros are +160 to reach the WS;  the Yankees are +210.  The Dodgers are +140, the Braves +225, and the Mets +400...they have to play the Dodgers if they win the first round, so that for me would be a hard sell.  After that, Toronto's +600...and after that, the odds get longer fast.  Seattle, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay are all +1000/+1100;  Cards are +900, Padres are +1200, and Phillies are +1600.

dropping 26 games behind their 2021 pace is a little depressing. It's just a little bit of a statistical anomaly that a team that has been playing since the 1880s had never ended a season at exactly .500 ever before. There are six other franchises that have also never ended up at .500, but half of them are expansion teams that haven't been around all that long.

18 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Noon Eastern?  Man, I haven't even started my office hour at that time.

ESPN:  noon, 4, and 8.

ABC:  2

They clearly want minimal overlap, so yeah.  Noon's pretty typical local start time for, say, the Wednesday East Coast games, as that's so often a travel day.  Lots of Baltimore, Boston, or NYY games slotted in there.  What's kind of curious is Saturday...but now they gotta work around ESPN's #1 product, college football.  So it's noon ESPN2 (killing, IIRC, a Big 12 game), 4 ESPN (not sure what gets bumped), 7:30 ESPN2 and 8 ESPN.  One of those is Pac 12, I believe.  They're not touching the game of the week on ABC at night.  Scheduling problem for MLB is, of course, any games on Sunday won't get any ratings, even tho they're elimination games.  

The early morning game was purely a great pitching beats great hitting game. Both Bieber and Maclanahan were fantastic - both pitched through 7 innings - final score 2-1 Guardians.

The game that ended surprising was the Cardinals/Phillies. Cardinals led 2-0 going to 9th, they showed a stat where they were 93 - 0 when leading after 8 innings. Their closer gets first out then gives up a doink single. then forgets how to throw his fastball anywhere, and I do mean anywhere, near the plate. walks 2 guys, hits the next one (2-1 cards) before the trainer/pitching coach comes out. oh, his hand is cramping (I am saying this because they only got guys up to start warming up on the batter he hit and now the pitcher they brought in gets to take as long as he wants to warm up, so I am a little dubious), so finally bring in another pitcher. single to right vs drawn in infield (not playing dp depth with 1 out and 2nd baseman almost speared it) so 3-2 Phillies, smash to 1st baseman but throw home late (again, why not try double play), single to left past 3rd baseman/SS on play probably should have been made (team looks like they have given up, fans are leaving stands to go home). Sac Fly - 6-2 Phillies. Cards get 1 more in 9th and put 2 guys on but Molina strikes out to end game.

My, my, my.  Great consternation, weeping, and gnashing of teeth threatens to sweep through New York.  Couldn't get 1 of 3 in Atlanta, so lost the division.

Tonight, Scherzer, one of their 2 expected studs, gets *shelled*.  4 HRs and 7 runs' worth.  Sounds like a full infantry company salvo to me.  Game's not over but with only 4 innings left, 6 runs is a mountain to climb.

And in a 3 game series, they're now big underdogs in the series.

I'm gonna root for the Padres today, just to achieve symmetry.  3 out of 4 sweeps, deserves 3 out of 4 road teams winning.  So much for playoff home field....

And Seattle winning the way they did...wow.  Loved it.  Fits this season.  That even trumped Philly's comeback Friday night.

And indeed.  Mets are shut down completely, getting only 1 hit in a 6-0 cruise for the Padres.  Their prize is the Dodgers....  And curiously, the other NL series is a divisional one.  Braves-Phillies.

MLB.com shows 1 Eastern for Atlanta-Philly, on Fox;  Dodgers-Padres is late, 9:30 Eastern.  The other 2 games are TBS, but the times are still TBD.  Not quite sure why.  I'm figuring Yankees first, maybe 2:30 or 3 Eastern, then Houston starting 6-6:30.  These are on Tuesday.