Pittsburgh: City of Champions

SCUBA Hero

On 4/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, SCUBA Hero said:

My goal is to get P: CoC published under the Patreon model, mentioned in the 2Q22 thread.

Anyone who is interested in participating, please PM me.

I'm not sure how you are picturing this project working.

Are we going to quit discussing it here in the forums and move all discussion elsewhere into a pay-to-contribute-to-the-discussion model?

I'm perfectly willing to contribute to the discussion once we get out of "the layout of Pittsburg" stage (which I know nothing about) and move on to NPC's, storyline, editing, etc.

But honestly, a $5/month Patreon fee is a major financial barrier-of-entry for me.

====

Also, are we entertaining NPC ideas and storyline yet?

I've been mulling over directions to take "The Dark Albuquerque Saga".

I'm not quite fond of paying someone to contribute to things, considering I'm a poor Utility Clerk and my poor Utility Clerk salary. I have to really make a deep think about things before I decide to put a $5 per month contribution. 

Still, it is only $5...

30 minutes ago, steriaca said:

I'm not quite fond of paying someone to contribute to things, considering I'm a poor Utility Clerk and my poor Utility Clerk salary. I have to really make a deep think about things before I decide to put a $5 per month contribution. 

I haven't been able to work in the last 15 years. So I've been surviving on a fraction of the income I used to make as a poor paper-pusher. 

1 minute ago, archer said:

I haven't been able to work in the last 15 years. So I've been surviving on a fraction of the income I used to make as a poor paper-pusher. 

I feel for you. And maybe I'm looking at my own future, considering I'm 52 myself, and only 15 years from retirement, and prime candidate to be murdered or killed because in films you don't talk about how far you have to go to retirement before dying. 

19 minutes ago, steriaca said:

I feel for you. And maybe I'm looking at my own future, considering I'm 52 myself, and only 15 years from retirement, and prime candidate to be murdered or killed because in films you don't talk about how far you have to go to retirement before dying. 

I'm almost 72 and already retired.  I spent 28-years working for the University of Pittsburgh as my department's courier.

1 hour ago, archer said:

I'm not sure how you are picturing this project working.

Are we going to quit discussing it here in the forums and move all discussion elsewhere into a pay-to-contribute-to-the-discussion model?

I'm perfectly willing to contribute to the discussion once we get out of "the layout of Pittsburg" stage (which I know nothing about) and move on to NPC's, storyline, editing, etc.

But honestly, a $5/month Patreon fee is a major financial barrier-of-entry for me.

====

Also, are we entertaining NPC ideas and storyline yet?

I've been mulling over directions to take "The Dark Albuquerque Saga".

I'm still working on how it will work...

But, definitely NOT requiring a Patreon subscription to contribute.  We'll likely take discussion of off the boards at some point, though.

I am interested in any and all NPC and storyline ideas, as well as any other ideas that help push P: CoC along.  As I've said before, I'm not an experienced writer, and I doubt that I could write a publishable manuscript for this project.

37 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

Coyote the Trickster might give people at the Pittsburgh Comics Convention the powers and skills of the characters they're costumed as.

Chances are, yes.

Robert Trueheart gained the powers of Lady Heart while at the convention also. But hir powers come not from Coyote the Trickster, but from Ryu no Yuri and the Jade Emperor for purposes other than stopping a rogue First Nation God (in fact, Robert kinda gets along with the guy in a way).

26 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

One of the original concepts for Tabitha Clark was that she had been there costumed as Sailor Venus, complete with a plush toy Artemis.

That works. Coyote's actions can easily explain a not super to suddenly super world. Also a repopulation of supers in a world which had them but lost them ("world" in this case means "city").

A villain idea for the city.

Doctor Franklin Stine is a electricity obsessed mad scientist of an evil bent. He is also has an obsession around Benjamin Franklin. This, he dresses up almost like Benjamin Franklin and uses his invented electric inventions to commit crimes to fund his next experiment.

37 minutes ago, steriaca said:

A villain idea for the city.

Doctor Franklin Stine is a electricity obsessed mad scientist of an evil bent. He is also has an obsession around Benjamin Franklin. This, he dresses up almost like Benjamin Franklin and uses his invented electric inventions to commit crimes to fund his next experiment.

Nice.  He could use a wrist-mounted stunner that works like the ones used by Marvel's Black Widow.

52 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Prehaps not from his wrists, but from a kite.

A kite operated by remote control, perhaps from what looks like a smart phone, would be a cool device for a robber.  It could have any kind of device mounted to it, but the wrist-mounted stunner might be more practical in certain cases.  Of course, he could also carry a hand-held stun gun.

30 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

A kite operated by remote control, perhaps from what looks like a smart phone, would be a cool device for a robber.  It could have any kind of device mounted to it, but the wrist-mounted stunner might be more practical in certain cases.  Of course, he could also carry a hand-held stun gun.

The man, as I pictured him looking, dresses like Benjamin Franklin. What weapons can you think of which fits the picture of a guy who dresses like Benjamin Franklin and uses electricity as a weapon. 

A complete or nearly complete manuscript is not necessary to start getting pages posted on the Patreon.  So anyone who's interested, PM me with any parts you are interested in writing.

I can start on the Introduction, and possibly compile some of Mark Rand's work on history/people/infrastructure.

Reposting from original post:

Format:

• Introduction - Explain where all of the toolkit toggles are set (Silver Age, Standard Superheroic characters, power levels, and so on)
  • History
  • Geography and Government
  • Transportation, Media/Arts/Entertainment, Subcultures
  • Police, Emergency Services, Underworld, Superheroes, Supervillany
  • Places of Interest
  • GMs Vault
  • Villains (include an organization and master villain)
  • Adventures
  • Continuing the Campaign

Note that bullet points 2-7 follow the structure of Millenium City and Vibora Bay.  MC clocks in at 135 pages, VB at 157.  Much of the difference in page count is VB's extended GM chapter and adventure seed ideas.  P:CoC would be longer, based on the Introduction and extended Adventures/Campaign sections.  Make the adventure/campaign arc related to why the previous super-team is no longer around and the new PC team has to pick up the mantle.

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

The man, as I pictured him looking, dresses like Benjamin Franklin. What weapons can you think of which fits the picture of a guy who dresses like Benjamin Franklin and uses electricity as a weapon. 

The only things that come to mind is a hand-held stun gun and something, possibly hand-held, that shoots a lightning bolt.

25 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Boris. Unless someone else has a better name. 

I vote for Igor, the traditional name for a mad scientist’s assistant.

A perky female assistant dressed like a colonial Minuteman (or perhaps Betsy Ross) would complete the trifecta.