Earlier vs. Current Editions of Champions

fdw3773

8 hours ago, klecser said:

I'm coming here completely raw to Champions, but a veteran of ttrpgs. I will fully admit that getting into Champions has been very confusing to me. It is in no way obvious what "current" versions of the game are. I bought Champions Complete simply because it seems to imply that has "everything" and is the most updated version of the game? But in reading this thread, there seems to be differences between 6E and ICONS and complete? It doesn't really matter to me what includes what, so long as I can play. I currently have: Champions Complete. Champions Powers, and Aaron Alston's Strike Force. And I love all three.

A big part of the reason why I came here though is because Champions Begins got nominated for an eNnie. I downloaded it and like what I see. However, I don't want to waste time printing the Player's and GM's books if they are basically a rehash of rules from Champions Complete. On the other hand, if it is more explanatory about the rules, it would be worth reading. Veteran thoughts on this? I recognize that I could just read all of the mentioned and know. I don't have that kind of time. A quick summary of the distinctions would be helpful. Other games don't have the problem of convolution of Champions, as some of you have lamented. So, a good way to combat that is with concise summaries of key differences. Your help is appreciated!

Howdy @klecserand welcome to Hero. Champions Begins is kind of a starter set approach to the game that was made to introduce Hero to new players. Champions Complete is a one-and-done kind of rulebook that fleshes out Champions Begins a bit more and brings in the full options of a Hero-based game. I would take a look at Champions Complete if able to see which option works best for you. There are some great sections of the boards here that are designed for questions and answers if you have any. I hope you enjoy. :)

5 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

That is precisely "it".   Separate things back out into separate games (but keep the base mechanics nearly identical).  Using figured characteristics keeps things in the same bands of capabilities within the "game", and keeping the amount of points down so as not to aggravate math anxiety, or necessitate the need and use of Hero Designer.  Before budget necessities  had Hero adopt the square (perfect) bound spines for game books, they were saddle bound and came in a book with accessory materials, and a set of tiny blue dice.  I am not sure books are the way to go in the current market, but if so, having the rules and two adventures, and a paper map, inside might be the way to go. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Neilson said:

Picture a package with Superhero rules, dials set, typical DCs, defenses, etc. set, some characteristics standardized, and powers selected from a pre-fab list (maybe in increments allowing for +2d6; maybe with, say, an 8 DC, 10 DC and 12 DC variation to choose from, and those are your choices, period, done).  It comes bundled with an adventure including some brief city descriptions, a few key NPCs, the start of a plot and maybe half a dozen encounters, including a "Gathering the Heroes" encounter.

Let me start by saying how much I love boxed sets. Whether it's a starter set, an adventure set, or just how a game is presented, putting it in a box is a way to get my attention. IMHO, I think this is where a beginner set shines. Having a few square bound books with rules, adventures, and some opponents, packaged with a map, some cardboard pawns, dice, and maybe some extras is definitely the way to go. I always imagined a GM Pack having a solid GM Screen, a book of adventures (including a solo/2-player one), pawns for it, and maybe some nice laminated sheets for a Speed Chart, Range Finder, etc. included. 

My only gripe with Paizo's Adventure Paths is that you need to wait to get pawns until AFTER the series is complete. It seems a bit out of order, especially if you're using minis. Alternatively, STL files for Hero would go a long way in today's world. Imagine buying a Viper Squad STL set and printing up a bunch to have handy. Yes please!

12 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

My only gripe with Paizo's Adventure Paths is that you need to wait to get pawns until AFTER the series is complete. It seems a bit out of order, especially if you're using minis. Alternatively, STL files for Hero would go a long way in today's world. Imagine buying a Viper Squad STL set and printing up a bunch to have handy. Yes please!

Once I get the hang of sculpting in Blender, get back to me on STL Mini files.  Progress is a bit slow, however, at least at this time (summer).

23 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Once I get the hang of sculpting in Blender, get back to me on STL Mini files.  Progress is a bit slow, however, at least at this time (summer).

I hear that, Scott. Digital sculpting is one of those skills I keep looking at, but need to free up some time to work on. 

A big part of the reason why I came here though is because Champions Begins got nominated for an eNnie. I downloaded it and like what I see. However, I don't want to waste time printing the Player's and GM's books if they are basically a rehash of rules from Champions Complete. On the other hand, if it is more explanatory about the rules, it would be worth reading.

Champions Begins was designed as a tutorial to teach how to play Hero, so it goes through steps including how combat works, how to interact with the world, etc.  I'm sure Hero would love to put out a print version, but that would cost money -- they couldn't offer it for free, really.  But while the same sort of info is in Champions Complete, its presented in a step by step process like a video game tutorial to ease the player and GM into the system through a series of adventures.  So its kind of like having an experienced player with you explaining things simply as you go along and playing out the new info each session.