Waste Disposal in a Superhuman World

Steve

This was just a random thought I had.

What kind of special measures for dealing with waste disposal might need to exist in a world with superhumans?

Do fans dig through the trash of the local superteam looking for souvenirs? Maybe there are people searching for things to sell? How much would an old mask go for?

What might show up in a supervillain’s trash? Failed experimental weapon prototypes? Items of alien origin? What might Eurostar be putting in their trash? How about VIPER?

Could alien microorganisms be getting released into the sewer system every time a team’s alien member uses the restroom?

Could there be companies that provide specialty waste disposal services for superteams? How do the regular trash disposal companies work with them?

I was thinking an active volcano, myself--but the sun works too.

I remember an early issue of Avengers where it was mentioned that they had a "disintegrator disposal unit," so there's a possibility.  Not unlike the joke among the cast of the original Star Trek, where they said that while they didn't have bathrooms, they did have phasers--so they just picked a corner, did their business, set their phasers to disintegrate and took very careful aim.

Of course, everything that can be recycled, should be.  And I don't know as your responsible hero team would just put their trash out in the street for anyone to just dig through.  Waste management would most likely be done on site--that way if the super-incinerator somehow causes the micro-organism that hitched a ride on a meteor to grow into a giant multi-tentacled ball of protoplasm with monumental rage issues, the heroes will be on scene to handle the matter.

Hope that helps.

As CV3 mentions, the villain Alchemica really isn't veryt bright (or possibly sane) in using her transmutative powers to rob commit crimes when there are so many ways she could make lots of money legally. Waste disposal is one of them: Transmute radioactive or chemical waste into something harmless, or even useful. No matter what she was paid, it would probably be cheaper for the company or government than mundane disposal costs.

One of my friends ran an adventure where the enemy was super-powered raccoons. A supervillain had hired a waste disposal company to dispose of the chemical waste from the experiments by which he gave himself super-powers. The trucker was crooked and just dumped the barrels of chemical waste instead of taking them to a licensed disposal facility. A few years later the barrels broke open...

Dean Shomshak

Once one of your super-scientists has perfected stable nuclear fusion, you won't need to send trash to the sun. You can bring the sun to you.

A super with matter-transmutation powers could make a killing changing garbage and waste into valuable materials. Ultimate recycling.

There's always the ever-popular dimensional portal, sending trash to an uninhabited planet or universe. That could lead to something like the version of the planet Sakaar from Thor: Ragnarok.

8 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

One of my friends ran an adventure where the enemy was super-powered raccoons. A supervillain had hired a waste disposal company to dispose of the chemical waste from the experiments by which he gave himself super-powers. The trucker was crooked and just dumped the barrels of chemical waste instead of taking them to a licensed disposal facility. A few years later the barrels broke open...

Dean Shomshak

Lots of supers have origins related to exposure to illicitly-disposed chemicals, including a couple of official Champions ones. Speaking of which, the Champions villains group called the Brain Trust (an obvious homage to DC's Brotherhood of Evil) is led by the disembodied "Overbrain," a brilliant scientist. Remnants of some of his experiments leaked out of their containers and into a graveyard, reanimating and strengthening a corpse who joined the team as "Mr. Zombie."

13 minutes ago, Opal said:

In my old champions campaign, since so many mutants were the result of environmental contamination, the EPA was given jurisdiction over superbeings...

I’m curious how they enforced their will on superhumans. Did the EPA have their own superhumans or agents armed with high-tech weaponry? Or were they able to use resources from other agencies for this?

10 hours ago, Steve said:

Did the EPA have their own superhumans or agents armed with high-tech weaponry?

Agents, yes, and they had technology like mutant detectors and power suppressers.

And the setting was fairly hero-friendly.