College Football 2022

unclevlad

And yes indeed.  The Silly Season has started.  We have the "who cares about the game, but look where we get to GO!!!" special known as the Bahamas Bowl.  Proof?  The Bahamas Bowl payout's tiny.  It's showing as I write...kickoff was 11:30 AM Eastern, on a Friday that's still a workday for most...and a shopping day for many others.  So, ratings will be non-existent.

But...

ESPN still gave Steve Levy and Joey Galloway the vacation trip.  That's one of their top-level college football broadcast teams.

Kickoff temp in the Bahamas was 83.  Temp in Oxford, Ohio, where Miami (OH) is...upper 30's and damp-ish.   

Colorado School of Mines is losing 27-0 at halftime in the DII championship game (which is being played at a high school stadium in Texas). Ferris State looks every bit like the defending champions. 

Louisville beat Cincinnati 24-7 in Fenway this morning. I was pulling for Cincy. Too bad.

Florida and Oregon State are going color vs. color in Vegas. No score yet. 

BYU plays SMU in Albuquerque this afternoon in a rematch of the 1980 Holiday Bowl (known locally as the Miracle Bowl). BYU will be missing their starting QB, as well as most of their defensive staff, who resigned or were let go at the end of the regular season. SMU is favored by 5. 

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

BYU plays SMU in Albuquerque this afternoon in a rematch of the 1980 Holiday Bowl (known locally as the Miracle Bowl). BYU will be missing their starting QB, as well as most of their defensive staff, who resigned or were let go at the end of the regular season. SMU is favored by 5. 

But that's...not normal per se, so let's say common.  I think both Cincy and Louisville's coaching staffs were gutted by departures.  Florida is missing a BUNCH of players, they've talked about it.  Something like 30+ transfers...?  In part because of a new coach...Oklahoma had something similar.  

Wow, talk about a game doing a 180 on a dime...

San Jose State vs. Eastern Michigan in the legendary Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.  SJSU is rolling at the start.  Opening kickoff, drive for TD.  Force a fumble, but can't capitalize, miss a FG.  Force a punt, drive for 2nd TD.

Then the roof caves in.  On the TD, they try to kick the extra point, and it's blocked *and returned* by Eastern Michigan for 2 points.  EMU takes the kickoff, drives for TD.  SJSU is stopped on 4th and goal at the 1;  EMU drives right back for a TD.  Next 2 drives are SJSU interceptions...with drives for TD.

From 13-0 and kicking an XP in the first 8 1/2 minutes, it switches around completely in the next 21 minutes.  30-13 EMU at half.

EDIT:  side note.  SJSU is the program that had a player killed when he was hit by a bus while riding a scooter, of all things, late in the season.  

Speaking of swag, it's not limited to bowl games.  There's a unique invitational basketball event...UNC, Michigan, Florida, and Oklahoma.  Men's AND women's teams.  There's been a massive discrepancy between the two in many areas;  in this event, everyone gets equal treatment.

And the name of the thing is the Jumpman Invitational....yeah.  Jordan Brand.  So that treatment is apparently Very, Very Nice.  Jay Bilas made a small comment during the Mich-UNC men's game, that all the teams were having a great time going through the team's lounges...and picking up swag.  I can just imagine.  Jordan.  Nike.  NICE swag...even if it's just shoes.

And the bowl season starts back up today with a warmup, before kicking into high gear.  Today, it's, I believe, a pair of teams that were in the Bottom 25 for several weeks:  NMSU (definitely) and Bowling Green (think so).  Only the one game because, well, almost every bowl game is on ESPN and it's Monday......

Oh my....

And the Aggies continued their TOTAL BOWL DOMINATION!!!!!  

24-19.  After a disastrous 0-4 start.  Tainted, perhaps, as Bowling Green lost their starting QB to a late hit OB.  Called targeting on the field, that was overturned...ehhhhh.  Questionable overturn, it was a bad hit.

The Aggies are 4-0-1 in bowl games, believe it or not....

Just tuned into the Utah State-Memphis bowl game, and Memphis is wearing their gray alternates. They look like the Detroit Lions ... and not in a good way.

Memphis leads 24-3 with halftime approaching. Utah State appears to have left their offense in Logan.

18 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I'm not a fan of either team, but a 55-53 3OT finish almost makes me wish I had watched the Autozone Bowl.

I wasn't paying much attention as it was a blowout, right?  38-13.  

Uhhh....huh.  Then the craziness happened.  In the OTs, both defenses were gassed;  the TD drives were quick.  

I don't give much credence to bowl game results;  every team suffers from transfer portal and/or draft preparation player losses.  IIRC Brock Osweiler pointed out that one coach went all the way back to re-teaching fundamentals because so many players had to be elevated from practice squads, or were playing in new positions.

That said...the Big 12 is trying to imitate the Pac-12 of the last several years.  1-6 in bowl games, with KSU getting stampeded by a bunch of runaway elephants just now.  TCU will be their last chance at redemption.

But didn't take long for Michigan to score.  This one's far from over.  Michigan's biggest issue has been shooting itself in the lower leg, with a 12 gauge.  That last pick-6 looked like the QB just totally missing the defender who made the pick.  If you want to throw it on a hard, flat line, you have to check the intermediate spot, not just the mesh point.

But TCU's also had its share.

OH MY!!!!!  And TCU just comes back within 2 plays to rip off a 70 yard run...down at the 1.  And Duggan scores, so it's back to a 3 score game in MUCH less than a minute.  The TCU line is making enough of a hole, and Michigan's pushing up to stop the run so TCU's getting *gashing* runs.

Halfway to Heaven.  I'm fine if TCU redeems the Big 12 to a degree, and I'd LOVE to see both Ohio State and Michigan crash and burn.   

This, pure and simple, unquestionably, is THE WILDEST!!! and CRAZIEST!!! and SWINGIEST!!! game I have ever seen.

About that, yeah.  2 minutes into the 4th quarter and the teams have combined for 59 points.  IN THE SECOND HALF.

EDIT:  OSU/Georgia slot isn't until the top of the hour, but this game has run SO long that hey, this one might well not be over.

I don't usually follow the betting lines, but I'm pretty sure the over-under for TCU-Michigan wasn't 96.

Michigan has the ball with about 3 minutes left, which means the TCU could drop half a hundred on the Wolverines in this game and still lose. Absolutely nuts.