College Football 2022

unclevlad

Okay, I know that winning three bets is called a trifecta. Is there a similar term involving four bets? Because that's what happened in the PAC-12:

* UCLA beats Cal

* Utah beats Colorado (obviously)

* Oregon State beats Oregon

* Washington beats Washington State

And just like that, Utah is in the PAC-12 championship game against USC. 

Interesting fact: The Utes gave the Trojans their only conference loss this season.

Can Utah win the rematch and keep USC out of the playoffs? Only time will tell!

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

Okay, I know that winning three bets is called a trifecta. Is there a similar term involving four bets? Because that's what happened in the PAC-12:

In a stunning example of non-originality...superfecta.

Yes, I looked it up.

However, you have a Pick 4, or simply a parlay.  A trifecta is picking the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place *in the same race*.

And let's be clear, as you note.  Including Utah in the parlay was meaningless.  The moneyline was Utah -7000.  Yeah...bet 7000 to win 100.  So you only get a 3-bet parlay in practice.  Mind, had you bet that parlay, it woulda had a pretty sweet payout.  

So the conference came out with their verdict WRT the UM/MSU tunnel brawl of a few weeks ago:

https://www.theonlycolors.com/2022/11/28/23482702/big-ten-releases-official-statement-tunnel-incident-announces-disciplinary-action-michigan-state

The Big Ten also found that the “University of Michigan did not meet the standards of the Big Ten Conference Football Game Management Manual policy. The policy requires the conference member institution game host to provide adequate protection for personnel of both home and visiting teams when entering and leaving playing arenas.”

Additionally, the conference also announced disciplinary action due to the incident:

Issued a public reprimand to the University of Michigan
Fined Michigan State University $100,000
Suspended MSU cornerback Khary Crump (No. 14) four games from the incident date (served), plus the first eight games of the 2023 season
Suspended the other players involved four games from the incident date, which has been served. The Big Ten said the “Michigan State University self-imposed suspension is sufficient and has been completed for the following players:
-Defensive end Itayvion “Tank” Brown (No. 19)
-Safety Angelo Grose (No. 15)
-Cornerback Justin White (No. 30)
-Linebacker Jacoby Windmon (No. 4)
-Defensive End Brandon Wright (No. 26)
-Defensive End Zion Young (No. 18)

Slap.  Slap.  Pinky slap.

Crump's facing the most serious charges.  The others listed there, tho, are all facing felony charges.  

I think these are light.  Even without charges being filed, most of these warrant longer suspensions.  The only plausible factor to me is, the charges are still out there, and MSU may want/need/be mandated by law to do more, once those are settled.  The total punishment may end up being warranted...and to be sure, going through the trauma of a trial is a serious punishment on its own.

In other, sterling news...

Utah State.  16.5 point dogs.  Down 5 to Boise State, minute and a half to go.  They're driving, in the red zone, prepared to take the lead, poised for a major upset.  Nice cap to the season.  4th and 9...ohhh no.  Picked off!  BSU gets the ball at the 9. 

But hey, all is still well.  BSU is gonna just try to run clock and end it, and USU covers easy.

But NO!!!!!  QB delay, takes it around the end, busts into the clear at the sidelines and does the Energizer Bunny down the sidelines.

Well...there goes the game, but hey, just down 12.  We're still covering!  USU gets the kick, clock's running.  It's 4th and 17 with 31 seconds left.  Ball at the USU 33.  QB drops back, throws a deep curl route.......

......yeah, you know what happens.  Picked off, DB's in the clear and has CLEAR sailing to the end zone.

42-23.

SVP calls it the bad beat of the year.  Congrats, USU, you're #1! 

I saw that game. On one hand, it's impressive that Utah State kept it as close as they did for as long as they did. Well done, Aggies.

On the other hand, their execution in the last few minutes was almost Bronco-like in its futility. 

End result: Utah State lost to Boise just like they were supposed to, but found an unexpected way to do so. 

Let Chaos Reign!!!!

The coffin lid's been nailed in place.  The grave's dug.  They're lowering it down now.

Inside 2 minutes to go, Utah SLAMS the door completely with a spirited, tough run for a putaway TD.  47-24.  

Yeah. 

This, after USC led 17-3...3 opening possessions, 3 scores.  Then the roof caved in.

This very likely puts OSU in.  A twisted question:  does this guarantee TCU a spot, even with a loss?  Because if we slot OSU in, then the alternatives would be Bama, Tennessee, and USC...as a 2-loss team but that did play in the conference title game.  1-loss TCU, and in the title game, over 2-loss, didn't even make the title game?  

We're halfway to Ultimate Chaos!!!!  

Oh, side aspect.  Say

a)  TCU loses, Georgia and Michigan win

b)  USC and TCU fall OUT.

c)  OSU and Alabama jump IN.  (I doubt they'd do it, but IF!!! they want to take TCU out, it's a total mess.)

It'd seem to be Georgia 1, Michigan 2, OSU 3, Bama 4.  That would be Georgia-Bama, Michigan-OSU.  Would they stay with it, or tweak the rankings so it's Georgia-OSU, Michigan-Bama.  

Rather a lot of things have to happen for that to happen, but we gots the start!!!!!

K-State vs. TCU in the noon (Eastern) slot

LSU-Georgia gets the afternoon slot, 4 Eastern

Purdue-Mich, and Clemson-UNC, 8 Eastern

Mr. P's blue ponies are in the afternoon slot.

Speaking of purple, Weber State heads back to Bozeman for today's playoff game against Montana State. The Wildcats lost the first game by 5 points after allowing four (!) safeties. If they've got their long snapper figured out, they've got a chance. 

The game starts at 1:00 MST, but is only available to watch on ESPN+. Montana State is favored by 6 at home.

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I do like the shade that TCU uses.  Purple is a tricky color.

Also helps that, for me, purple looks better with black, than white.  But that's probably my inner necromancer.

Fun Fact™: Kansas State's uniforms were designed to look like the Dallas Cowboys.

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

4 safeties in 1 game?????

I bet you could count on one hand, the number of teams that gave up 4, non-intentional, safeties all YEAR.

In all four cases, the long snapper sent the ball right over the punter's head. On the fourth occasion, the punter intentionally kicked the ball out of the back of the end zone to keep Montana State from recovering it for a touchdown.

It was ugly.

Horrible decision in OT by TCU. You can't come away from a possession in overtime—especially the first possession in overtime—without points. You just can't. Kick the [REDACTED] field goal!

As my Mom used to say, "The pigs get fat, but the hogs get butchered."

Oh my.  Talk about rubbing salt into the your OWN wound.

LSU drives down inside the 10.  Georgia sacks them on 3rd down.  LSU has to go for the FG.

It gets blocked.  That's the self-inflicted wound.  Should not get a short FG blocked.  THEN, half the Georgia guys are just congratulating each other, and getting ready to walk off...as are ALL the LSU players.  But there's one...little...problem.

It's a live ball.  Georgia guy lets the ball settle, but he's right there...looks at the refs...no one's whistled or signalled, soooo....ok then!  He picks it up and *sails* 95 yards with no LSU player in the picture until he's at the 10 and cruising in.  Touchdown Georgia.  10 point swing.

And now a tipped ball bounces off the helmet of the LSU receiver...nice and neat and just hanging there for the Georgia DB to scoop it up for an INT.

That's 14 points set up by freak plays, for Georgia.  And threatens to build the momentum for the avalanche........

That is, unless Georgia goes for it on 4th and 8 at the Utah 40 like USC did...........up 14.....

EDIT:  they didn't, and it has...turned into an avalanche.  Georgia takes 5 plays to go 58 yards in 1:30ish to slap #5 on the board with 30 seconds left in the half.  AND they get the 2nd half kickoff...up 35-7.

Might be time to go channel surfing...

That quarterback from LSU is limping around like me on a bad day. The biggest difference is that I'm 54 years old. That kid needs to be done for the day. They need to sit him down before he does irreparable damage to his legs. It's not like his presence is going to make any difference in the game where they're already trailing by 25 at halftime.

59 minutes ago, Pariah said:

An underreported upset today as Fresno State went in and beat Boise on the blue turf. No effect on the playoff picture,.of course, but a surprising game.

Hey, we know that any team west of the Mississippi, and NOT in LA, will be ignored 99% of the time.  Unless they're wallowing in utter ineptitude...

So this part's over.  Georgia #1, Michigan #2.  To get the seeding right, I'll lean to TCU staying #3, and OSU #4, almost by default.  It feels like the easiest, UNLESS you feel the Big 12 had a fair number of just middling-good teams, and down-value TCU's in-conference ranked wins.

And can we really see Bama vaulting over TCU?  

We shall see tomorrow.  The full bowl schedule, including the CFP, is announced then.  Starts at noon Eastern;  looks like only ESPN is carrying it.  (That's pregame time for CBS and Fox;  FS1 has World Cup.)  Set for 4 hours, but that'll be dissecting ALL the bowl games.  I figure the CFP teams will be announced quickly, so CBS and Fox can at least report the teams/matchups before game time gets too close.

Yeah, I see Georgia and Michigan as locks for #1 and #2, respectively. Probably TCU and Ohio State as the next two in either order. But there's a part of me that doesn't think it matters much, because I don't see anyone being any kind of threat to Georgia.