College Football 2022

unclevlad

Hope y'all don't read lips.

"After further review there is no foul for targeting..."

while the camera is on a Michigan fan, who's very clearly saying "what the <bleep>"

I would've hated calling that targeting, seeing some of the other calls the last few days that were worse, and NOT called.  The kid made a big mistake by leaving it up to the refs, but Michigan didn't deserve a second chance on a relatively meaningless, very borderline call after their big mistake.  

TCU 51, Michigan 45.  YEEHAW!!!! One down, one to go.  And yes, it helped kill much of the pregame for the next one.  Lovely!!!

EDIT:  Starlord, I've seen worse cases where targeting wasn't called...as recently as yesterday.  That's the #1 issue with the rule;  the adjudication is WILDLY!!!!!!!!! inconsistent.

But that begs the question, where was the team that beat OSU, today?

I think the most surprising takeaway from the early game was how thoroughly TCU shut down the Michigan running game.

All right, conspiracy theory time.

This game will never go to OT.  Why not?  Because it's been planned throughout that the final gun happen at the stroke of midnight local time...the sound ringing a Happy New Year for the winner....

OH my lord, I'm 2 for 2.  The kick was literally 15 seconds after midnight...blame the time out.  I should retire now...

STOP SMIRKING THERE MR. P!!!!  

Not surprising but this is the highest-scoring semifinal round for the CFP by a MASSIVE margin...over 30 points.  A team has scored 40+ 7 times in the prior 16...2 of those in a double OT game.  All 4 teams over 40 today.

You have realized that Silly Season isn't over yet, right?  (Yeah, I kinda had...after 5 games on Friday, including a New Year's 6, and 4 more yesterday.)

Reliaquest (used to be Outback), Cotton, Citrus, and Rose Bowls are tomorrow.   Rose Bowl is the only semi-late start...and even at that, ESPN's gotten the Bills-Bengals, a HUGE matchup, slid back 15 minutes.  That game's also starting on ABC, because as we saw...bowl games run LONG.  Even if the Rose Bowl kicks off at the top of the hour, it'll likely run well past the 8:30 Eastern kickoff for MNF.

Michigan is 3-13 in bowls since 2005.  Harbaugh is 1-6, and lost the last 6, yes.  The heat was actually growing...until he beat OSU last year.

I've disliked the Big 10 for years because they've been incredibly arrogant...without the track record to back it up.  Not like they're unique there, of course.

Oh my.

My, oh my, oh my.

Tulane-USC.  Kind of as expected;  USC might as well be a Big 12 school from a half dozen years ago...100% offense, 0% defense.  Plays out that way, with both teams going wild.  Tulane scores to make it 45-37 with about 4 minutes left.  They kick off deep.  It's a slicing kick.  The USC returner calls for a fair catch down around the 2 yard line, as the ball approaches the sideline.  He tries to catch it and MUFFS IT...it takes 1 hop and goes out of bounds.

USC gets the ball at the 1.

2 plays later...yes indeed.  BOOM!!!!!!  Tulane pass rush gets through for the safety!  With 3 minutes left.  Tulane gets the ball back, USC's defense is the sieve it was *all year long*, desperation plays keep the drive going.  TERRIBLE, IMO, non-call on targeting down near the goal line.  (They have to reconsider it.  It was helmet to helmet, just, according to the refs, not crown of the helmet.  But BOTH players were down for a couple minutes.)  2 plays later, tho, a short, low pass, grabbed while going down...called incomplete, but on review?  TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

With 9 seconds left, Tulane kicks the XP to win the game.

HORRIBLE!!! decision by the returner...the one you see SOOO BLOODY OFTEN, where they simply have no situational awareness.  But the USC defense gave up 540 yards on 52 plays...500+ yards, and Tulane only had 16 first towns.  GOUGE CITY.  

Mississippi State vs. Illinois had a wild ending. It was tied at 10-10 with a couple of minutes remaining, and MSU went on a long drive. They kicked the go-ahead field goal with 7 seconds left. Illinois took the squib kickoff and tried a couple of laterals, one of which was dropped and picked up by an MSU player, who took it in for a touchdown with no time left. They didn't bother with the extra points because both teams had left.tjeir bench areas at this point. Final score: Mississippi State 19, Illinois 10.

I can't help but think Mike Leach would have approved. 

Ahhh...I'd seen the final play (as a score update) but not what led up to it.

That's gonna be an SVP Bad Beat...because the line was MSU -3.5......  And of course, botching a pitchy-pitchy woo-woo guarantees a place on the ESPN Not Top 10 plays....

EDIT:  Since Chris mentioned Stanford Steve...

The O/U on the game was 54...so that touchdown with 30 seconds left was "significant to some...." to steal Al's line....

On 1/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, unclevlad said:

That's gonna be an SVP Bad Beat...because the line was MSU -3.5......  And of course, botching a pitchy-pitchy woo-woo guarantees a place on the ESPN Not Top 10 plays....

You called it, my friend. It was the very first game listed. And they did, in fact, use the phrase "pitchy-pitchy woo-woo".

Huh.

Well.

What do I wanna watch now, rather than the 2nd half?

38-7 Dogs at halftime.  AND they get the 2nd half kickoff.  They scored every time they had the ball in the first half, too.

EDIT:  Fowler drops a stat as Georgia tacks on another...after not scoring on their opening 2nd half posssession.

Georgia is on a 1 point per play scoring pace.

45 plays.

45 points.