Private Perfection...

Foxiekins

I had an idea spring into my brain...  Just imagine a Drill Instructor during World War 2, that liked to push boots to their breaking points...  And then, along came a boot that seemed to have no limits...  No matter what the DI asked him to do, he did it, without fuss and with aplomb to spare...  What would a character need to make it through boot camp with a perfect score in everything...?  His Strength is already set at 60, with 1/2 End cost, because of the incident with the Tank...  The Drill Instructor, growing more frustrated with his failed attempts to break him, ordered the character to pick up a tank...  And he promptly did...  Which attracted attention in a BIG way...

So far I have STR 60 (with 1/2 END), CON 60, EGO 30, SPD 5, END 60, STUN 60, Running 30m (with 1/2 END), Leaping 15m, and Swimming 15m...  And 2 points of Life Support...

This is from suggestions so far, and the Characteristics Comparison Table (page 48 of 6th Edition, Volume 1)...  Thanks to steriaca for EGO Value, and the half endurance suggestion for running...  I didn't add it for leaping or swimming because 15m only has an Endurance cost of 1 anyway...  On the Life Support, having a week require only 8 hours of sleep, and 1 meal, sounds about right...  Sleeping every night and eating every day would probably give him the feeling of being pampered...

Hermit, I don't think 2d6 Luck seems right...  He's just good, not lucky...  If he had the Luck, he would have been assigned a different Drill Instructor, I think...

So far, he's at 270 points...

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Need a big recovery to refuel that huge END tank, as well.

True...  If he runs and uses his full STR, a Speed of 5 means he goes through 20 END a turn...  Putting his REC at 20 lets him cover that with his post segment 12 recovery...

So, DEX 20, INT 20, PRE 20, OCV 7, DCV 7, OMCV 3 (he has no mental powers, but why sell it back?), DMCV 7, PD 12, ED 12, REC 20, and BODY 20...  He's at 368 points...

Now I need to think about his skills...

Skills? Let's look at my copy of Champions Complete and...HERO System Martial Arts. 

Acrobatics

Analyze (Military Combat)

Autofire Skills

Breakfall

Climbing 

Combat Driving (if he can drive)

Defense Maneuver 

Demolition 

Fast Draw

Navigation 

PS: Solder

Rapid Attack

Survival

Tactics 

Teamwork 

Tracking 

Two-Weapon Fighting 

It's along list, but I don't see him actually starting with ALL of them. Or all of them with a decent roll anyways. And no real help from the DI, cause he only trains soldiers after he breaks them.

As for the martial arts, I say either the bair bones of Commando Training (page 26 HSMA), or the basics of Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (page 54 HSMA), or if you don't want all that detail Cinematic Brawling (pages 27-28 HSMA), or even Generic Martial Arts (page 32 HSMA). Keep in mind he is learning in SPITE of the DI.

The idea is that the DI gets busted over the "pick up that tank" episode, thus giving him an enemy, and launching his career...  The way I visualize the scene is that the DI gets frustrated, yells his order to pick up the tank, a General is near enough to overhear and gets in the DI's face...  Meanwhile, Private Perfection picks up the tank, and turns with it for more orders, the DI's jaw drops, the General notices the DI's expression, turns, and then his jaw drops as well...  Private Perfection, meanwhile, is waiting for orders while supporting the tank overhead...  Straightarming it high, likely, since the tank is under 50% of his max lifting of 100 tons...  That's only -2m to movement, and 1 END per turn if he carried it for a while...

2 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

The idea is that the DI gets busted over the "pick up that tank" episode, thus giving him an enemy, and launching his career...  The way I visualize the scene is that the DI gets frustrated, yells his order to pick up the tank, a General is near enough to overhear and gets in the DI's face...  Meanwhile, Private Perfection picks up the tank, and turns with it for more orders, the DI's jaw drops, the General notices the DI's expression, turns, and then his jaw drops as well...  Private Perfection, meanwhile, is waiting for orders while supporting the tank overhead...  Straightarming it high, likely, since the tank is under 50% of his max lifting of 100 tons...  That's only -2m to movement, and 1 END per turn if he carried it for a while...

Who needs skills when you can do that!

Then again, he might simply be a glorified forklift unless he has a way to protect himself from damage. 

5 hours ago, steriaca said:

Who needs skills when you can do that!

Then again, he might simply be a glorified forklift unless he has a way to protect himself from damage. 

He does have a PD and ED of 12...  I'll have to think about Resistant Defenses...

I want to be careful what I give him, though, as part of his concept is that no one had any idea he was Superhuman until it came out in boot camp...  Including himself...  Bouncing Bullets would only have gone unnoticed if he had never been shot...  Since that would also include any of the tiny little injuries people accumulate growing up, I'm assuming no resistant defenses until he picks up a bit of armor...

19 minutes ago, Foxiekins said:

I want to be careful what I give him, though, as part of his concept is that no one had any idea he was Superhuman until it came out in boot camp...  Including himself...  Bouncing Bullets would only have gone unnoticed if he had never been shot...  Since that would also include any of the tiny little injuries people accumulate growing up, I'm assuming no resistant defenses until he picks up a bit of armor...

Prehaps "fast healing" is more appropriate, combined with Combat Luck. He won't be able to bounce bullets, but they will usually be flesh wounds and heal faster than normal but nothing which screams 'superhuman". A powerful Recovery will work well. Also Regeneration faster than one body per week with rest and medical care.

1 hour ago, sturmrider said:

How about some Combat Skill Levels both for the martial arts and any weapon he is going to be using.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

I can see it. He is going to get them eventually. 

Yes...  Looking at his movement, I decided I overdid it...  Him running at 45 MPH is just as funny as 60 MPH...  So I dialed his running back to 24m, still with 1/2 END, and his leaping and swimming both back to 12m...

Adding Distance Shot and Far Shot, and 4 Penalty Skill Levels versus Range Mod with those and the Throw Maneuver gives him a 17 or less shot with anything on the Qualification Course, given the Garand's +1 OCV Mod and that the stationary targets used pretty much have a Zero DCV...  Adding Combat Luck like steriaca suggested brings him to 382 points...  Those remaining 18 points should probably go into what skills he needs...

On 8/18/2022 at 8:40 PM, steriaca said:

Skills? Let's look at my copy of Champions Complete and...HERO System Martial Arts. 

Acrobatics

Analyze (Military Combat)

Autofire Skills

Breakfall

Climbing 

Combat Driving (if he can drive)

Defense Maneuver 

Demolition 

Fast Draw

Navigation 

PS: Solder

Rapid Attack

Survival

Tactics 

Teamwork 

Tracking 

Two-Weapon Fighting 

It's along list, but I don't see him actually starting with ALL of them. Or all of them with a decent roll anyways. And no real help from the DI, cause he only trains soldiers after he breaks them.

As for the martial arts, I say either the bair bones of Commando Training (page 26 HSMA), or the basics of Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (page 54 HSMA), or if you don't want all that detail Cinematic Brawling (pages 27-28 HSMA), or even Generic Martial Arts (page 32 HSMA). Keep in mind he is learning in SPITE of the DI.

Analyze (Military Combat) seems to Intellectual for him...  Not gonna give him Autofire Skills...  This was World War 2...  The M1 Garand was a Semi-Auto Weapon, and all the other Nations had bolt-action Rifles...  Defense Maneuver is so involved it seems like something to add later, maybe...  I don't see him being in many Western Shootouts, so I'll pass on Fast Draw...  I don't see him as the gun in each hand type, so nixing Rapid Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting, but I'm surprised Stealth wasn't on this list...  HTH Martials Arts is something for Later, also...

Adding Stealth in, that gives me a dozen skills...  Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing, Combat Driving, Demolitions, Navigation, PS: Soldier, Stealth, Survival, Tactics, Teamwork, and Tracking...  His remaining points can get 6 of them...  Acrobatics and Demolitions may be add later skills, but do 6 of these stand out as important enough for his first Skills, or would it be better to take a few more...?  I could always put his STR and CON at 50, and bring them to 60 with experience...

37 minutes ago, Foxiekins said:

Analyze (Military Combat) seems to Intellectual for him...  Not gonna give him Autofire Skills...  This was World War 2...  The M1 Garand was a Semi-Auto Weapon, and all the other Nations had bolt-action Rifles...  Defense Maneuver is so involved it seems like something to add later, maybe...  I don't see him being in many Western Shootouts, so I'll pass on Fast Draw...  I don't see him as the gun in each hand type, so nixing Rapid Attack and Two-Weapon Fighting, but I'm surprised Stealth wasn't on this list...  HTH Martials Arts is something for Later, also...

Adding Stealth in, that gives me a dozen skills...  Acrobatics, Breakfall, Climbing, Combat Driving, Demolitions, Navigation, PS: Soldier, Stealth, Survival, Tactics, Teamwork, and Tracking...  His remaining points can get 6 of them...  Acrobatics and Demolitions may be add later skills, but do 6 of these stand out as important enough for his first Skills, or would it be better to take a few more...?  I could always put his STR and CON at 50, and bring them to 60 with experience...

Thar is entirely up to you. I didn't expect you to actually pick all the skills I list. Many would be picked up later, others wouldn't be picked up at all depending on the time period. 

You know your character more than us after all.

45 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Thar is entirely up to you. I didn't expect you to actually pick all the skills I list. Many would be picked up later, others wouldn't be picked up at all depending on the time period. 

You know your character more than us after all.

Well, he isn't exactly my character...  He's a historical NPC for a potential Time Travel arc...

I think I have him about laid out, but I could use help with a name...  I really doubt the Military would seriously refer to him as Private Perfection...  I figure he would be assigned to a Special Forces Unit composed of "special" talent, so he might just be referred to by his surname, Kowalski...

1 hour ago, Foxiekins said:

I think I have him about laid out, but I could use help with a name...  I really doubt the Military would seriously refer to him as Private Perfection...  I figure he would be assigned to a Special Forces Unit composed of "special" talent, so he might just be referred to by his surname, Kowalski...

Well, Captain America maintained a secret identity as he was America’s secret weapon, so a code name/secret ID would be in line with this.

2 hours ago, Foxiekins said:

There is nothing wrong with having his codename as Private Perfection. Comic book writers love alliteration after all. As for using such a low ranking, it is to show that even the common soldier has a role to play to win the war.

Note: his actual rank is obviously higher than private once his powers become known, but I can see him be billed as Private Perfection because it suits the generals and the propaganda. 

54 minutes ago, steriaca said:

There is nothing wrong with having his codename as Private Perfection. Comic book writers love alliteration after all. As for using such a low ranking, it is to show that even the common soldier has a role to play to win the war.

Note: his actual rank is obviously higher than private once his powers become known, but I can see him be billed as Private Perfection because it suits the generals and the propaganda. 

Publicity won't be a thing...  In the campaign he's for, the existence of Extra-Normals was classified by the Federal Government, and that got extended when the Cold War started...  He's from the period when that all started, though, so right now he's just under a Standing Order to keep a low profile...  Any characters participating in the Time Travel Arc will be doing the same, to avoid changing history, so his intended function is as a surprise / hazard to the Time Travelers...  But the Military *will* need to have a name to refer to him by...  He's intended to be partially comedic, also, so maybe Private Perfection was entered into the required reports, until a better name would replace it, and then no one could agree on a better name...  And eventually it got to where changing the name would have required rewriting SO many reports, that it was given up as a loss...