Rivarlies with other Super heroes

Hermit

Guest rbezold

Not really. I usually have players who use it as a cheap hunted that can't really do them any harm.

OTOH you should hear the chorus of screams whenever a rival npc takes the credit (and extra ep) for the work they did;)

Re: Rivarlies with other Super heroes

Originally posted by Hermit

Does anyone utlitize a rivalry with other heroes in their campaigns? I'm thinking more of NPC rivals to be honest. Anyone have their PCs trying to outdo, say, the Champions?

We had a guy who was a Silver Avenger have a rivalry with the Golden Avenger and Major Star before. There have been some actual rivalries between teammates, sometimes done well, sometimes forgotten to be done.

Does anyone utlitize a rivalry with other heroes in their campaigns? I'm thinking more of NPC rivals to be honest. Anyone have their PCs trying to outdo, say, the Champions?

I think half of the PCs in my game have rivals in the other PCs.

I have a player who took my "GM Special" mystery disadvantage. If they have, say 20pts worth of disads they still have to make they can take the mystery disad and I'll give them something worth 15pts that they aren't aware of.

The player does not yet know that they have a rival, but they do.

Re: I miss Seeker....

Originally posted by Southern Cross

Now THERE was a character worth having a rivalry with.He was such a showoff,it was a sheer pleasure to make him look a fool.And the fact he was Austrailian made it even better.

Darn...it looks like I'll have to build that 350 point version of Seeker after all.....

A character in my campaign actually has a rivalry. With Seeker. :D I'm using a mostly Fourth Edition Champions Universe.

I run a WWII Champions Game. I don't have any rivalries but I do use Captian Atlas from the GAC book and my team leader brick always feels a little intimidated by someone who is more powerful than him.

I rarely do this however, in fact I rarely use other supers in my game because I feel they take away the PC's from the spotlight.

Re: Seeker

Originally posted by Eyendasky80

I'm new to 5th edition, is there an amusing story to go with Seeker's absence? Or did someone have the revelation that half naked australian ninjas are too cool for Champions and need their own genre book?

"Coming in Fall 2005, HALF NAKED AUSTRALIAN NINJA HERO!!!!"

Well, in the 5th Ed setting, they pretty much went with all new, or all revamped characters. Seeker doesn't, and has never existed in 5th Ed CU, save as a comic book character ;)

I would treat it as sort of an Earth-1, Earth-2 thing...and of course, that's just the official material, each GM mixes in what they like.

Re: Re: Seeker

Well, in the 5th Ed setting, they pretty much went with all new, or all revamped characters. Seeker doesn't, and has never existed in 5th Ed CU, save as a comic book character ;)

I would treat it as sort of an Earth-1, Earth-2 thing...and of course, that's just the official material, each GM mixes in what they like.

I could have dealt with getting rid of Seeker if the replacement wasn't so weak.

In my Northern Guard campaign, The Lumberjack has a rival: The American Woodsman (a somewhat more famous hero with similar powers).

To date, it's mostly been played for gags. When UNTIL was showing the team how to use the hero/villain look-up software, they described the Lumberjack's outfit to the software and it immediately brought up the files for The American Woodsman.

When the Lumberjack fought Bulldozer in a bar while visiting New York, the papers credited The American Woodsman.

And so on.

Many of my PC's have rivals. Properly done, they can be a lot of fun.

~The teenage Genius inventor has one with another teenage genius inventor, and one 7 year old genius inventor. Older inventors are hunteds. :)

~The same teenage inventor has a rivvalry with his alternate from another Earth.

~The superstrong woman has a rivalry with another superstrong woman, both of them claim to be "the strongest woman on Earth"

All I can remember right now.

Re: Re: Seeker

Of course in my campaign it's Nighthawk who gets to be a comic book character instead. Seeker's just too cool. :D

Re: Seeker

Originally posted by Eyendasky80

I'm new to 5th edition, is there an amusing story to go with Seeker's absence? Or did someone have the revelation that half naked australian ninjas are too cool for Champions and need their own genre book?

"Coming in Fall 2005, HALF NAKED AUSTRALIAN NINJA HERO!!!!"

I think half the X-Men turning into "ninjas" in the 90s made ersatz ninjas gauche. That said, Seeker's still cool.

Re: Re: Re: Seeker

Originally posted by Solomon

Of course in my campaign it's Nighthawk who gets to be a comic book character instead. Seeker's just too cool. :D

You either like Seeker or hate him. I put him in my timeline as Dr. Emory "Seeker" White, 1930s explorer and zoologist with a working knowledge of archaeology from years of adventuring. I picture him as an amalgam of Mel Gibson and Steve Irwin.

Hmmm.....put Irwin in silk pants with no shirt and give him a sword? Its...THE CROCODILE SEEKER!:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seeker

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

You either like Seeker or hate him.

Of course I love him. Who doesn't? :D

Originally posted by BishopofB&W I put him in my timeline as Dr. Emory "Seeker" White, 1930s explorer and zoologist with a working knowledge of archaeology from years of adventuring. I picture him as an amalgam of Mel Gibson and Steve Irwin.

Hmmm.....put Irwin in silk pants with no shirt and give him a sword? Its...THE CROCODILE SEEKER!:D [/b]

Thanks. I'll never be able to get that visual out of my head. I'll have to put a Seeker-lookalike in every campaign I run.

Thought about past campaign, Ice Pirate had rivalries with other Alien theif types. Yes, there seemed to be scads of them... mine was first damnit! Or at least it wound up that way.

Scales & Janus would have arm wrestling competitions to see who was strongest. Scales was, but the way we ran it Janus would occasionly win.

Blazer & Tabu had a rivalry musically.

In a recent Deadlands game, my character Rex was in a kind of rivalry on who was quickest with one of the other PCs.

In the Viking game, there was definite rivalries going on between four of us. Once resulted in punching each other out while having dinner with the king. Good thing it was entertaining to him. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Seeker

Originally posted by BishopofB&W

You either like Seeker or hate him. I put him in my timeline as Dr. Emory "Seeker" White, 1930s explorer and zoologist with a working knowledge of archaeology from years of adventuring. I picture him as an amalgam of Mel Gibson and Steve Irwin.

Hmmm.....put Irwin in silk pants with no shirt and give him a sword? Its...THE CROCODILE SEEKER!:D

I always thought Steve Irwin would be the perfect Secret ID for Seeker, as well as my first choice to play him him in Champions: The Motion Picture.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Seeker

Originally posted by McCoy

I always thought Steve Irwin would be the perfect Secret ID for Seeker, as well as my first choice to play him him in Champions: The Motion Picture.

The problem is that Irwin himself says he has no patience to learn a script. He only did the one movie to raise money to add on (IIRC) to his zoo.

Of course! Although it's not too hard to out do the Chumpions. Frankly I think Defender and company should get out of the business of crime fighting before one of them gets killed. Millennium Force is more than capable of fighting the crime in Millennium City.

Quasar

Earth's Mightiest Hero

Leader of Millennium Force